2016 Sooke Reports

image.jpeg image.jpeg Fished west yesterday from 6:30-11:30 with son and father inlaw. 6lb for son. 18 lb for father inlaw. Lost s good one to s broken hook. Released a nice sockeye and a couple shakers.

Beauty morning on the water for my 3 generation crew.
Saw quite a few fish at the dock.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    492.1 KB · Views: 5
Fished out west this am 0530-1000. One salmon struck the gear. Slow morning, saw one fish caught at otter. Lots of boats at muir.....hopefully a few got caught their.

6 feet for spoons and anchovie teasers is the standard leader length from your flasher and 3 feet for a hoochie from your flasher. We use those lengths and are never disappointed :)
Thanks FishSlayer1976, I have been using 44" leaders with the AP sandlance spoons so was curious what is working with the bigger AP spoons.

Fished 7:00am until noon today. Trolled west with the last of the ebb in 70-80' of water, along the east side of Otter, and back to Possession in 100-110' of water as the flood reversed the current. Fished conventional anchovy on one side and experimented with herring in herring teaser on the other. Tried mid-water and close to the bottom on both tacks. No hits at all.
Foggy start to the day but beautiful day after 10:30am, although water was a bit bumpy.

Fished muir from 530-0930. Had 2 shakers right away then a 12lber around 0800 and one missed strike. There's a few fish around have to work for them.

It was an awesome event Brian Gibson won it with a fish just a bit over 29 lbs. good for him...
My guys got 14,15 place for a rod and reel and a hand held VHF set, great prizes again.
Thanks again to the SSES and the loins club and alot of the sooke vendors for all they do, great job ...
Wolf

Fished today 8 til 2 Aldridge to secretary and back 5 hits a few shakers nothing for dinner little cold this morn beautiful afternoon all hits on anchovy green teaser and Betsy flasher

Out today from 7-1. Double header at obrien around 10 landed an 11 pounder and other side broke line after a good deep run. Lost another one at side of boat at trap around 11. Took flood home but did a shallow tack at head and hit another two boated a 15 pounder lost another one. Slippery hooks and wirey fish for sure but happy with some action. Also watched a 35 pounder boated beside us at head at noon. Chrome teasers were the ticket.

Last edited:
Seems like a bunch of springs are finally here. Early start at the trap netted us a 14 and 19 in short order. Then a while nothing other than a few shakers when we moved into deeper water. Then around 10 am we hit another good spring that unfortunately shook the hook in sight of the net. On the way home we picked up a smaller spring around 7 at Aldridge that we let go. No hos in sight yet?!

A few coho showing but they are out on tide lines ive seen them jumping, seen a few at cleaning stations along with the odd pink thrown in...

Fished B head to possession with lots of laps around Bhead and trap then back to Aldridge from 7 to 230 yesterday. I saw one mid-teen caught near B head around 1, but otherwise I saw ver few bigger than five pounds caught. Very few any size.

It like winning on pull tabs at the bar. Very few win but you gotta have fun, enjoy the atmosphere and be drinking to play.

Yes it is still a grind most days. Yesterday changed it up and went east to the Trap..saw one boat loose a decent fish to the seal...not happy campers...he yelled over first strike in 2 days of fishing and that happens...wow Moved up to Possession and got one spring (under 10 pounds) there and lost another. Out again in the afternoon and went to Otter for the last half of the flood and picked up one around 16 pounds...and that was it for 10 hours fishing. At least Big Wave Dave's wind prediction for the afternoon was a bit off in the right direction!!

Caught/ released 3 sockeye in the last few weeks. Curious if anyone else has been catching sox?
Seems I get them out deep when I am searching for springs. Just wondering if there are some numbers out there.

Also 2 of my last 5 springs have been whites. Both about the same size. 17-18lb. Anyone else been catching whites lately?

Tips

Yes it is still a grind most days. Yesterday changed it up and went east to the Trap..saw one boat loose a decent fish to the seal...not happy campers...he yelled over first strike in 2 days of fishing and that happens...wow Moved up to Possession and got one spring (under 10 pounds) there and lost another. Out again in the afternoon and went to Otter for the last half of the flood and picked up one around 16 pounds...and that was it for 10 hours fishing. At least Big Wave Dave's wind prediction for the afternoon was a bit off in the right direction!!
Wow, it has to be slow if tyou're not getting them.

Hope it picks up for you guys!

Yes a grind wish you guys wouldn't fish anymore as im getting tired of getting 2 to 3 fish a trip, if you weren't out there im sure id get more.....
all I can say is YES you have to work hard to get them as my buddy said time to pull up on the work socks and tight up the work boots they are there but in unconventional spots trust me on that one.....

Good luck Wolf

Change of pace today cuz if your gonna get skunked you might as well be closer to home so decided to try possession and secretary from 6 to noon , no springs and tried in the deep and caught and released 2 beauty sockeye . Did not see any other action but was beautiful morning with lots of boats out.
BTW Tips Up 2 of my springs last week were whites.

Well I look at this thread 2-3 times a day and even though it doesn't sound like the numbers we want have moved in, I am so jealous you guys are at least out on the water!!! I am on the count down 7 days away!! We will have 4 full days on the water, rain or shine,slow fishing or wind warning no matter, with in reason, I can't wait!! And Wolf the "Franco Electric" is one of the hardest working boat out there.. I will troll from the bluffs to Port Renfrew if we have too or the other way towards Victoria LOL :) A few weeks ago I went from Winter Harbour to about 10 miles south of Solander Island just to get some fish and that's about a 70km one way trip in 2-3meter seas :) We will be on the water early on the 11th and won't come off until the 15th and would love to hear from any of you guys. Always can be reached on CH.68 Franco Electric. Good luck out there guys/gals!!!

Back