2015 Tuna Adventures

Thanks DB.

Birdsnest, really enjoy your postings on this thread and didn't mean to send it sideways. It is just those were a common fish I caught in Bermuda (butterballs). Wasn't there a thread about 'uncommon fish' encountered? I know you are off the coast, in waters most of us will never fish, maybe this falls into that?

Regards,
Daniel

Not me but a few boats out of Tuff city got'em good today! Received and tested my para anchor today....STOKED!!!! No wind today so had to test with the boat in reverse. Boat was going maybe 2 kn backwards and I payed out the shoot and it took a bit for it to open up and when it did I couldn't hold the rope in my hands. It stopped the boat to the point where you could barely see it was moving. This is going to work well with my new obsession, Jigging for tuna. Cant wait!!!

I am heading out Wednesday morning from Bamfield is any other boat coming ?

Buoyweather is showing some weather mid to late this week. I just looked at terrafin and although the shots aren't great, it looks like really good water right at the outside edge of Laparouse!!!

We we are heading up to Winter Harbor on Thursday to give it whirl out of there. Good luck.

More about the jigging on my last trip:

Two things I noticed was one: the fish did not seem to like the jigs casted to them. We got all jigged fish letting hooks down below the boat. Im not sure what the deal is with that but prior to this trip I only casted out to the jumpers and never had a sniff so Im thinking they may not like the ker-plunk of the lead jig hitting the surface. I tried letting the jig down 100' and racing it to the top, that didn't work either. Just regular jigging worked for us.

There seems to be two types of jumpers one of which doesn't seem to want to chomp any gear very hard. One type is a small group that jumps in a small area of a 2 or 3 square meters all pointing in the same direction. This school must just be a small group or traveling i'm not sure but they don't seem to do much although it is not uncommon to get the odd fish off these groups.
The other group regardless of the size jumps in multiple directions. I think this means they are actively feeding and there are always birds bouncing off their heads which is the best case scenario.

This was the type of school we took our fish from jigging. We saw it with birds, covering about 1000 square feet jumping in multiple directions. I casted to it and reeled in as fast as I could....nothing and they stopped jumping. I lowered my jig about 100 feet and reeled straight up very fast....nothing. I paused for or moment and had my jig hanging about 5 feet down under the boat and in the same moment I saw a flash and my jig vanished. Set the hook and wow I had a screaming reel. As Fishtofidno told me its like hooking into a 50 lb halibut but the hali is not on the bottom and can run where ever it wants. It is very likely the best take and run I have ever had from a fish that only weighs 18 lbs! Cant wait for more.

Good luck to those going out this week. Cant wait to hear about it.

These are the jigs we were using. Both 4 inches long. Nothing very special but I would like to try some smaller thiner sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest re-rigging those jigs so that the hook is on a swivel and connected directly with the main line. Place the hook about half way up the jig for vertical jigging. I rigged all my jigs with barbed Doup hooks this way. I agree though, tossing big jigs out far hasn't seemed to yield any results. I use the swimbaits for casting and iron for vertical jigging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like this I assume is what you mean...

Yep, commonly called assist hooks. If you google it, you'll find a bunch of info on how rig and where to place the hook depending on jigging method. Basically just allows you to put all the pressure on the hook so you aren't fight against the jig. I rig all my bottom fish gear the same way too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
We went out Tuesday night planning to stay overnight end fish Wednesday morning. On the way out the water was rough but according the wether forecast is was supposed to be a nice calm water. Boy they were wrong.
Hopping the weather will be better by the morning we stayed anyways.
It was not a comfortable night, we could not sleep at all..
In the morning the water was even worst but since we were there we try anyway.
I managed to put 4 lines in ( ussually I fish with 10 lines) try to troll. The tem break wos not as they forecast.
At the 500 lines the temp was 65.9 66.. And no matter which way you troll the temp was same. It was a nice blue water. After 5 hours "fishing" we pulld the plug and head to the shore.it was a bust!!
I forgot are rule what if we cant go at least 20 miles then we should stay on shore.
Well anyway I will try it end of the month again.

We went out Tuesday night planning to stay overnight end fish Wednesday morning. On the way out the water was rough but according the wether forecast is was supposed to be a nice calm water. Boy they were wrong.
Hopping the weather will be better by the morning we stayed anyways.
It was not a comfortable night, we could not sleep at all..
In the morning the water was even worst but since we were there we try anyway.
I managed to put 4 lines in ( ussually I fish with 10 lines) try to troll. The tem break wos not as they forecast.
At the 500 lines the temp was 65.9 66.. And no matter which way you troll the temp was same. It was a nice blue water. After 5 hours "fishing" we pulld the plug and head to the shore.it was a bust!!
I forgot are rule what if we cant go at least 20 miles then we should stay on shore.
Well anyway I will try it end of the month again.

Well that sucks! What weather are you using and what was the forecast?

The weather forecasts have be shifting constantly for the last couple of weeks making it hard to plan anything.

My last overnighter was not easy either. Falling off of benches while sleeping and very wet fog. IT takes a couple of days to recover from that.
I had to laugh on my last trip when at first light we got the lines out and I called "fish on" right away, very un-enthusiatic like. I got pretty much no response from anyone. Nobody jumped on deck or anything. The enthusiasm picked up after a couple of hours and getting some coffee in us.

FYI: I was canvasing my coast guard buddy about overnighters: The Canadian coast guard no longer regulates traffic past 12 miles so your on your own out there where as you could call your position in on 74 before they made the cuts. It is required by law to have a person on the watch.

Sometimes after a good tuna trip I just throw my clothes in the garbage. There not even appropriate for use as rags.

One boat out of Tofino today. Fished for only an hour 28 miles off and had to come back due to rough conditions. Not before the landed 20 tuna tho!

Its on out there!!!

Back