2015 Tuna Adventures

Come on Jay, we need pic's..........:D.

Ha ha, ya. I wish I did get some pictures because this trip I was on a 28 foot work boat that has no down riggers or anything "fishing" for that matter. We had two 2 x 4's rigged up for spreader bars to run lines and dive boards off of. The boat has a large back raised deck at the stern and a large roof area that we took advantage of. The boat fishes great and very comfortably but the driver is way at the front of the boat and can't see the lines and can hardly hear directions from the guys at the stern. There is a hatch above the driver seat which we eventually tied a pole to the suicide handle on the steering that went up through the hatch so we could steer while sitting on the roof. This worked great for the driver could see the gear and look for jumpers etc. Sounds pretty shoddy I know but at least the boat has brand new motor.

Looks like the weather is going to take a dive for a week soon. Too bad for the good water moved in about 15 miles in the last 5 days which is to be expected. Now it may/likely move away again due to strong NW winds. oh well, thats tuna fishing. That was a good few days we had out of Tofino.

Pic from BD

11694935_10155895386345541_7363641660458270220_n.jpg

Hey, there's a few of us looking to drag our asses up from Sooke in the next couple of weeks(weather permitting of course). When I used to troll for albacore commercially we would share numbers with the fleet to stay on top of the schools. I'm not going to expect anyone to fork over their hard earned coordinates but if that kind of comradare still prevails out there I sure would appreciate any lat/longs a guy wants to provide.
What channel does everyone operate on out there for tuna?
Thanks

Hey, there's a few of us looking to drag our asses up from Sooke in the next couple of weeks(weather permitting of course). When I used to troll for albacore commercially we would share numbers with the fleet to stay on top of the schools. I'm not going to expect anyone to fork over their hard earned coordinates but if that kind of comradare still prevails out there I sure would appreciate any lat/longs a guy wants to provide.
What channel does everyone operate on out there for tuna?
Thanks
Maybe post up when you are actually heading out and some
Of us may join you in the hunt. Unfortunately as you know the schools are always moving so unless there are others out there looking with you, any co-rods from previous could be useless info. Typically buddy boats head out together and spread out in hunt, once on them the info goes out. There are a few of us waiting for the weather and we will be heading out if schedules permit.

Went yesterday for another kick at tuna. Left Renfrew @ 0530 for Nitnat canyon water temp was only 53 so off to Barkley canyon area, we found good temps and some jumpers @ 48.12.500/126.14.00,just small schools, we hit mostly singles only one double finished with 10 for 17 and back to the dock at 1730

1st Time Buddy

The boy and I are looking at going for Tuna this year, out of Tofino.

30 ft Kingfisher with twin 200s, 160 Gallon Fuel Capacity, runs cruise at 2 MPG.

We've been collecting all the gear over the winter, and looking to go out when a few other boats are heading out.

Looks like we have a crew ready to go the 7th through the 9th if the weather/water allow and some others are heading out; don't think we want to go out on our own.

Please let me know if the boats are heading out of Tofino in that time frame and we can tag along.

Shane

There has been an adjustment in the weather. Some good water off tofino as well if it can survive a couple more days of NW wind. May be some opportunities this week.

Last year someone posted a contact for purchasing swim baits (Big Hammer I think). after searching the forums, I am unable to find the thread.
I know you can buy these at numerous places online but if there is a vendor who is involved with the WCVI tuna activities, I would like to support them.

Determined to successfully fish the Slide this year!
thanks,

Went on my first overnighter last night and caught fish. All mid teeners with the occasional jumbo. Finally found some fish interested in jigs. Now all I want to do is get them on dead stops jigging. What a thrill that is.
Other than that the night was not easy with a boat riding sideways in the chop and swell. Very wet fog with low visibility. Not really nice but doable and worth the grind. Im talking a 2 meter swell at 9 sec with a 1 foot chop and 7 or 8 kn of wind so nice enough just not perfect there is no way I would want to be out there in those conditions with more wind. Cant wait for my para anchor to arrive that will make a big difference even on a night like last night.

Just one question, what is this? Caught it jigging at last light and saw one jump in the morning...
Couldn't get a good picture of it for it wouldn't stop flipping out and when we bonked it sadly it lost its chrome appearance and turned grey.

Yup a Pompano. Used to catch them in Bermuda. Apparently there are 20 different species, I didn't know there was a 'pacific' variety.

Back