2014 Fall /Winter and 2015 Spring boat projects

Thanks fellas. Ive got a wifi1 module mounted up under the dash as well.

Built a cleaning table that can be mounted on a Scotty base either on the engine cover or the gunwale.

IMG_0706.jpgIMG_0705.jpg

Nicely Done, Bruce, what Material did you use?
I might copy it :p

Tim

It's called Sanalite - or butcher block. 1/2" you can buy it at Industrial Plastics. Very easy to work with. Plywood blade on the table saw and normal router blades.

Had some spare time today so I concentrated on revamping my old kicker steering linkage to work with the new Vrod. Had to cut a mounting bracket for the pivot ball out of 4" aluminium angle to mount on the motor. Then my old stainless linkage rod was too short so I welded stubs of the threaded rod to 3/4" mild steel round bar with 309L stainless rod. You can weld stainless to low carbon steel with this rod. Happy with how it turned out and saved a few bucks doing it. I'm having the linkage rod powdercoated black. Should do the trick!:cool:

Attachments

• 20150304_165838.jpg
    20150304_165838.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 486
  • 20150304_201934.jpg
    20150304_201934.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 483
Nice looking work there. Should do the job and like you said, nice to save money sometimes.

^ I have to fix my tie-bar as well. Such a rattly damn thing! :)

Getting rid of my scotty rail mounts and affixing a more 'permanent' solution! Had some downrigger brackets welded on.

20150311_163251.jpg

20150311_163244.jpg

They are very strong... Had a bit of an incident last year where I hooked a 15lb ball into a reef (trolling tack, behind this one guy, suddenly found out he happened to be jigging, awesome!), brake was set a bit tight on the rigger and almost said goodbye to a few hundred dollars when the rail mount bearing block gave out and rolled over! Yikes.

Unfortunately the way the rails are centered in the boat, the brackets couldn't really be cleanly welded into them (like you see on production boats a lot with inboard offset rails). It's not the best looking but its functional and they are strong!!! (I personally would have done them a bit different but I can't complain!). A nice part is that it puts the downrigger at a good height in terms of accessibility! No bending over or anything.

Blue seas ACR realay and switch going in, kicker charging, and new prop next! :)

Nice looking work there. Should do the job and like you said, nice to save money sometimes.

Thanks. Here it is in action

Attachments

• 20150308_113713.jpg
    20150308_113713.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 272
Don't know how I missed on this post but them rails look pretty cool indeed. Great improvement!
Oddly familiar though :)

Good job as usual John
Cheers

The rails are done. Turned out pretty good me thinks :).

We added toes rails to stabilizes your stance when fishing in the rough stuff.

Had to go look at a job this morning and went for a rip.

The visibility with the taller rails is a big improvement.

Just have to add the roof rails and non skid on the gunnels.

To be continued.....

Finally got around to making up a cleaning table, I used 1/8 alum, and sloped it to the back, with a couple of drain holes in the corners and a handle up front so I can Easley grab it. I welded up a mount to fit the Scotty bracket, think I might powder coat the alum table to Finish it up, now to just get so blood on it. image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work on the cleaning table bentley. How did you attach it to the Scotty mount with it sloped?

Nice work on the cleaning table bentley. How did you attach it to the Scotty mount with it sloped?

Thanks guys !

The mount is sloped, so everything will drain to the back side of the table and hopefully over the side of the boat!!!, how much would you pay for something like this, Bones. Maybe I will mass produce a bunch ! I routered all the edges of the cutting board tonight, to give it a nice finish.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last weekend got a day away from home renos, had to get the boat polished before it goes back in the water for this season!

Turned out even better than last year, it gets easier each time (the first was awful, the mill scale was the worst to take out, sanded and probably about 5 passes with buffing/polishing total). This year was a simple 3-stage cut, polish, then finishing pass. My good buddy helped me out too which was nice. Definitely a lot of square footage :)

20150316_164449_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150316_164410_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150316_164321.jpg

20150316_164509_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150316_164551_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150316_164655_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Some of you might not agree an aluminum fishing boat should be 'Shiny', but hey - It's unique! I like to have it looking good, or at least differentiate from the rest; Most importantly it just makes me feel good!!! Something I used to be very passionate about was cars, and detailing for a nice paint finish is part of that, this has somehow transitioned to boats, and I discovered polishing aluminum (Look up polished airstream trailers - same deal). Only takes me 1 full day a year to re-polish it all (yes it takes effort, and the salt does etch some nasty water spots into it after awhile, but it all comes out with a once over!) and looks good for the season on the water. I make a joke with my buddy that it was a 'mistake' because you become obsessive with the shine, it really is ridiculous in person in full sun - just a giant mirror. Also pretty hilarious however when people ask where you get a 'chrome' boat!!!

I bet it might be the shiniest boat on the water ;)

Few more things left yet, just waiting to hear back about a kicker steering system, better prop, and a revised downrigger setup!

PS: I hope last year was just a bad year and the boat doesn't scare away the fish thinking it's an orca or something (looks white from far away) LOL

PPS: Really need to figure out a name for the boat still :confused:

Nice Job on Polishing that aluminum Fishin'Zinn.
Do you put a sealant or wax on the aluminum as a final coat, or just leave it raw metal ?

"The Silver Bullet" comes to mind

If you don't mind me asking what did you use to paint the bottom, is it ep2?
Cheers

Not bad! - Something like that would be good. I don't want to be labeled a "Coors light drinker" however ;)

It is E-Paint! Wish it was red, but apparently the lighter tones work better. This one:
http://www.epaint.com/index.php?id=19&prod_id=19

Epoxied first. My father wanted to be 'eco friendly' and 'aluminum safe' and do with an ablative paint vs using a copper based anti-fowling. Have to re-coat the sides every year but it works awesome!

Nice Job on Polishing that aluminum Fishin'Zinn.
Do you put a sealant or wax on the aluminum as a final coat, or just leave it raw metal ?

Thanks! I sealed it with opti-coat last year. This year we will see how the nuvite final finish holds up. Plus I use a really good sealing wax that I use for cars as well (Synthetic based, not carnuba; which only lasts about 30 days, synthetic lasts for months!).
Either way, it will take a beating, so other than clear-coating there's only so much you can do! The opti-coat worked great I think, just more meant for smooth automotive finishes I think.

"Silver Surfer" - Roaming the galaxy on a silver platform in search of new worlds...........:cool:

Back