2014 Fall /Winter and 2015 Spring boat projects

Took the machine back down to Nanaimo yesterday to make a few changes and upgrades.

Trap carrier/cleaning table needed to be lifted to fit the new motor
View attachment 16295

Then these multi purpose poles were built.... Mini outrigger for handlines for tuna fishing, downrigger line redirection units keeping the gear out of the prop, custom aluminum putter on those windy days and can also be used as loading guides on my trailer once I figure out how to mount them.
View attachment 16296
View attachment 16297

Those rod holders under the table must be for your shorter rods? Lol. Great lookin boat though. Looks like everything is top shelf.

Nothing too crazy but made up a little bracket to hang my new HDS from the top Starboard wind shield.

Attachments

• 20150223_155253_resized.jpg
    20150223_155253_resized.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 493
After 9 years of hearing guys complain I finally ordered cup holders :) Looks like I'll be drilling a few more holes.

They are aluminum cup holders :)

image.jpg

hey Owen there not cold water fed so it would keep'em chilled .....lol:p

I know you've made more room in your boat with the extension, but I really don't think it'll hold enough people to fill 10 cupholders!

Bunk Slides

With carpeted bunks found shallow water boat recovery a challenge. I would never consider rollers, personal choice
Last year I purchased strips of "white" plastic boat glides, installed these on top of the carpeted bunks, found these to be terrible, they kept splitting and top mounted SS screws scratch boat underside
So, this year I purchased bigger plastic bunk glides
Installed them today, note: carpet has to be removed, SS screws are then installed on the side
So far so good and a very smooth recovery

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 260
That's a great mod Tinboat if your gal is alloy. We have fixed 2 tinner's (Lund style) boats that the bottoms were rotted out because of carpeted bunks. Carpet traps the salt water between the hull and the bunk and it does it's nasty thing. If the the bunks are pressure treated wood, it is even nastier. There is a component injected into the pressure treated wood that likes eating aluminum if kept wet. Slick bunks with drainage is the answer. I put full strips of UHMW drilled and tapped into aluminum channels for my bunks.

That's a great mod Tinboat if your gal is alloy. We have fixed 2 tinner's (Lund style) boats that the bottoms were rotted out because of carpeted bunks. Carpet traps the salt water between the hull and the bunk and it does it's nasty thing. If the the bunks are pressure treated wood, it is even nastier. There is a component injected into the pressure treated wood that likes eating aluminum if kept wet. Slick bunks with drainage is the answer. I put full strips of UHMW drilled and tapped into aluminum channels for my bunks.

Thanks Sculpin,
Yea, the copper content in wet pressure treated bunks was a factor in my decision to protect my aluminum boat and replace the carpet
I am very interested in your idea of "tapping into aluminum channels" I think I know what concept you mean, however I am unsure how to proceed, do you have any photos?, to help, please

I was getting worried about my gunwales being able to support my downriggers, with 48" booms and 15lb weights, and wanted all my fishing equipment in 1 location. The bolts you see right outside of the Swivels connect to 1026 Base plates mounted UNDER the gunwale, one of my more clever inventions. I had to go to the Scotty factory to get some extras of those bolts they put on the through boom rod holders(they use the same thread as the Swivel Base)... Removable by 4 hand tightened bolts, what's more is that 2 of the bolts have little holes drilled through them and have a small padlock to prevent theft. (Believe me, drilling a hole through a threaded piece of hardened steel took a lot of patience)...
IMG_20150206_132542868_HDR.jpg

Total Cost:
Scotty Striker $55 x2
Scotty Swivel Base$95 x2
PVC Tube $10
Stainless threaded bar $15
Stainless bolts $.50 x25
Stainless self locking Nuts $.35 x 45
Stainless washers $.20 x16
Aluminum L Bar $16
Marinco Plugs&Receptical $60 x2
Scotty Electrics(used) $300 x2
1 1/4" treated Plywood $25
1 Quart Marine Paint $10
Scotty Bolts $2.61 x4

Total Cost: $1140

I was getting worried about my gunwales being able to support my downriggers, with 48" booms and 15lb weights, and wanted all my fishing equipment in 1 location. The bolts you see right outside of the Swivels connect to 1026 Base plates mounted UNDER the gunwale, one of my more clever inventions. I had to go to the Scotty factory to get some extras of those bolts they put on the through boom rod holders(they use the same thread as the Swivel Base)... Removable by 4 hand tightened bolts, what's more is that 2 of the bolts have little

Total Cost: $1140
Good solution Tim. Great way to tie in the strength across the entire stern of the boat. As a suggestion, I would round off each end of your mounting board (outboard of the gunwales) and soften the edges so that they can't catch a stray line while trying to land the fish. Also I would not put too much trust into the little padlocks on the bottom of the bolts. Little padlocks are easily passed with a little prybar........:mad:. With your design being easily removable, I would suggest that you do remove when not in use. You will likely keep it for a lot longer.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but The padlocks are in a VERY awkward place almost impossible to reach, and apart from people seeing this, most would not know, and like all else, it's a theft deterrent, not prevention device. I also live in a place where theft is almost nonexistant(Thank god), People leave Islanders on their rods showing openly...

Just finished up installing the new electronics. New to Lowrance products so this is a big change for me.

Attachments

• 20150302_165918.jpg
    20150302_165918.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 271
Back