Food Saftey and Etiquette When Smoking Salmon

Peahead

Food Safe Concern:

I have a smoker very similar to a Big Chief. Its a 3 level "True North" . It has provided many a batches of smoked salmon safely for many years but I have always wondered is there danger of bacteria inside the smoker with all the gross residue inside even with some scrubbing of the guides/shelves that hold the racks. I clean (sanitize/sterilize) the 3 racks by putting them in my BBQ at very high heat and burning off all the sticky residue and stuck pieces of fish, then brush the black flakes left over (ash) with stainless brush.
My concern is the smoker's housing and rack guides that hold the racks in place and how to make sure those are void of any bacteria if new batches of fish are placed in the smoke a year later ( every Fall) . Is the Brine and smoking process enough to kill bacteria even when the smoker sits for a year? If not how does one effectively kill bacteria that may be lurking inside a smoker ?

I have been doing this for years without any problem - not once have I had a batch make me or anyone else sick but I am just concerned that this could be just luck so far.

Etiquette Concern:

I am also wondering what people think of smoking meat in your yard where your not on acreage or your neighbors yards are close and the smoke may (or will) drift for 2-4 hours - Close yards like a townhouse, even if a BBQ is ok what about a smoker. BBQ's duration is usually shorter than a smoker and smoker has wood smell ( unless you throw chips on BBQ). Just common sense ? ... or does anyone have any knowledge/ ideas on a guideline on this?
I live on the mainland where no outdoor burning is allowed at all (wood burning fireplaces are still allowed) but not sure where I stand with smoking meat outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder about that residue too.

As for etiquette. If you have to smell there smokey fireplace smoke they can smell your food smoke.

I don't feel bad at all. I just feel bad when I don't have enough to share.

I have the same smoker. I give it a good wire brushing inside every once in a while and bang the sides to knock the crap out. Don't worry about contamination it's just creosote that is not in contact with the food.

Funny, re. the etiquette part, I just spent a day in the yard doing chores and was fantasizing about building one of those big butt smokers like Nog and Wolf have. I was also thinking about how some neighbours may react to all the smoke.

Funny, re. the etiquette part, I just spent a day in the yard doing chores and was fantasizing about building one of those big butt smokers like Nog and Wolf have. I was also thinking about how some neighbours may react to all the smoke.
I have a "Big butt " smoker like that and I do worry about my neighbours smelling it!! If they smell it they are around pretty quick to see if the taste testers is on and perhaps there might be a little extra!!!LOL

I have had my smoker running and my bbq going at the same time. I asked the neighbours if it was a problem, they said 'No, it smells tasty'.
As some of the other members have said - I just make sure to share with the neighbours once in awhile, hard to complain if they get some of the goodies.

Residue is a concern, but smell and smoke of fish, nobody in there right mind would object to that. I run my racks through the dishwasher though, but yeah, the inside of the smoker might a question for consideration food safe wise.

I have a converted industrial ss upright fridge that I smoke with, I take racks out when I'm done and pressure wash the $hit out of everything. Seems to stay pretty clean. If your worried a little bleach and rinse would sanitize everything.

Thanks everyone for the replies/advice.

My main concern this time was that it was so darn warm out (A record breaking 22C in Vancouver yesterday) The concern was that neighbours having doors and windows all open due to unseasonally warm weather would allow smoke to flow inside their homes. I never have smoked fish with outside temperatures that warm mainly due to that. All went well and I used a fan to disperse the smoke a bit ( also so neighbours wouldn't see billowing smoke and call the fire dept. when I stepped out for a bit)

The bleach and rinse for cleaning inside of smoker is a great idea. The racks I always burn off at high heat in BBQ or an oven.

My batch turned out perfect and the bonus was that due to the warm temperatures outside I didn't need to cover the smoker with an insulating cover ( I normally smoke when its about 5-10 degreees outside) AND the final drying/cooking process, after the intitial smoking process, took way less time.

My Little Chief has a thick layer of black goo seasoning the interior walls. It works well, and I have no plans to clean it until someone posts a link to a health risk. I have a feeling that the salt and smoke, while preserving the fish and making it taste good, is likely less healthy than any airborne bacteria emerging from the black goo.

My Little Chief has a thick layer of black goo seasoning the interior walls. It works well, and I have no plans to clean it until someone posts a link to a health risk. I have a feeling that the salt and smoke, while preserving the fish and making it taste good, is likely less healthy than any airborne bacteria emerging from the black goo.

lol yes, I think you are likely correct on the health of that smoke .....and salt.
Rather than airborne bacteria being my concern though, its the actual contact that the fish makes with the inside of the smoker. Mine is a front loader and when I slide the full racks in place the fish will come in contact a bit with the rack holders underneath the edge of the racks and sometimes the smoker sides. I am suspecting that the subsequent smoking of the new batch (and salty fish) may kill any bacteria that may be festering in the smoker during a year of storage - but not sure. I am still around , so that's a promising test so far!

IMG_8257smokerres.jpg

Looks good! I try to keep the fish a bit away from the edges to avoid touching the walls and door. Okay, I'm too lazy to clean it and I don't own a pressure washer. Could take it to the self car wash I guess.

A good smoker is a well - seasoned one;you must break a new one in. Bradley recommends you add water to the puck catcher;if you overload your smoker and/or the fish isn't sufficiently dried before smoking it may produce a black liquid oily substance...soot build up is another problem,clean it off or it may fall on your salmon.Racks should be cleaned;bleach kills bacteria...eventually your racks may rust.

My neighbours are chain smokers;one lights up and the other sheep follows...their front porch is an asstray!

Great topic which I have often pondered.
I run my Bradley empty at 220° for at least twenty-five minutes prior to putting the meat in. I am not a food safe expert but doing this gives me a sense of security.

I usually do the same run it empty to kill off anything that may have been around from last time I smoked, and if need be a vinegar water solution to clean in side the smoker. Vinegar is used by butchers, and won't leave any chemical off tastes from other cleaning products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same smokers and about once a year I hit them hard with oven cleaner. Spray them let them soak for an hour and then hose out and repeat if necessary. Gets them good and clean. I do not worry about getting the element wet. I give it 24 hours to fry before use. The problem I have if I do not is the creosote on the ceiling of the smoker starts to flake off into the product. Big no no so I like to keep them clean. I also hit my drip trays with the tiger torch and burn them right clean.

I also hit the racks with oven cleaner after each use. Let them soak, hit them with the hose and then run them through the dishwasher. Storing them oiled will prolong the life of the racks for certain.

As far as neighbours go. Meh.

Back