2014 ECVI Nanoose Bay, French Creek Reports

fished FC 3 times last week - landed at least 3 nice coho or more every trip (our best trip we limited on 4 and probably released another 4 more) 1 8 pound spring and 1 8 pound sockeye. also lost one 1 very nice spring that was cranking out a lot of line. mostly small ultraviolet squirts near bottom at 200 feet. got the 8 pound spring on the nogs needle spoon. not as much luck for us as others were having on the springs.

Lots of fun fishing FC this morning. We were out 6:30 to 10. 2 coho, a pink and a small chinook landed and several more lost. Good times but definitely no larger chinook bites. We tried trolling deep (180 to 200 feet) in 200 feet of water for a while but nothing. I'll be out again next weekend.

lordofthesprings where exactly are you trolling for the sockeye?
Sabine Channel or in front of FC perhaps?

Were you right on the bottom of fishing out a little farther? I managed a nice spring and 2 coho at 160' last thursday fishing along the 200' contour (purple flasher & speckled Irish Cream spoon) The Coho were stuffed with minute little shrimp and the spring had nothing in it's guts.

Lots of boats out front of F.C. yesterday.

I fished solo from about 1;30pm to 6:30pm.......would have stayed out longer but it got kind of snarly around 6pm........when I got through the door at home it looked like it had calmed down again..

Hope the people had better fortune than I did.

Tried from just out side the Humps to as shallow as 140ft inshore ...and from the Marina to Judges Row and everything and everywhere in between.

Tried Sockeye gear, Coho gear and Chinook gear at all the appropriate depths. Tried Nog spoon and hot plugs as well.

End result :- 1 1lb. Pink and 4 "dinkers".

Serious lack of fish on the finder ....

If others did well , good for them......but it wasn't my day at all.........:p

Fishing out of my boat solo is tough....so I could only run one downrigger

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the boat back in the water after work last night. Went out to the end of the Ballenas and fished for a few hours. There was nothing much going on, got two shakers and that's it. SE kicked up pretty good last night, as Seafever stated.

Kildonan...I haven't heard anything right now.......

but in the past guys have started fishing near the river as early as mid-July.

Not right in close like later........but out at the 200 to 250ft contour running parallel to shore......using regular Chinook gear.

Back