2014 ECVI Nanoose Bay, French Creek Reports

And it looks like you were fishing the low slack and a couple of hours after it....which is usually a good time to fish.

How early did you start?

My report was filed in the style of many posters...that is:- you know I got some fish but there was absolutely zero information given.

Lately I've felt rather foolish giving detailed reports for the most part. People probably think I'm an idiot doing that.

I may go back to being just a lurker. Tired of having to pm and pump people for info.

A guy holding up a fish in a pic with no other info doesn't tell me anything. Other than his only real reason was to get his mugshot on the SFBC pages.

I wasn't fishing for Chinook off Schooner. And I wasn't fishing in RCA's.

But I did good on what I was targeting..............that's all I can tell you......

can't blame you if people don't reciprocate, but too bad nevertheless. I haven't been out for a week and a half so nothing new to report other then the previously good coho fishing I had reported off French creek.

Sorry for the late answer to your question Sea Fever. I was away from my computer today. Yes, I was out for the morning low slack. There was a major bite at 8.00 am. I saw quite a few fish caught, mine were all deep on the green hootchie 30 inch leader and as I said above we troll at 2.1 to 2.3 knots. The fish were all still in good shape and a nice silver colour yet. Good Luck to everyone for the rest of the year. I've put the boat away and will be leaving for the far north first thing in the morning. Back next April.

Fished Sangster on Sat & Sun morning. Sat got a 10lb spring and 3 coho. Sunday got a 20lb spring and no coho, besides a lot of shakers. The springs and cohos were all caught on a small squirt hoochie, springs at 130' and the cohos at 60ish. Lost a real screamer on Sunday, must have been a big spring and that depth was at 60', so the springs can be gotten up shallower as well. The other rod that had varying tackle on, including splatterback and spoons did not produce.
Forgot to add that on Sat, after fishing Sangster, we headed over to the Sabine channel outlet on the bottom end of Texada. I was hoping to see some sockeye but didn't get anything. Some of the other boats said they'd seen the odd Sock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seafever, please don't turn into the lurker. I love seeing your hoochies and spoons they are works of art. I'm sure you've helped many a soul on this site with your reports and info on gear. I for one will try and reciprocate on info....for what it's worth :)

Nice fish MRWood. Sorry Seafeaver for being a lurker all these years. You're right to be pissed off but lets face it, myself and possibly others are just amateurs compared to you. I certainly have gained in knowledge because of your posts and I thank you as well as all the others who take the time to give good advice and share a little.
I have been out many times this year compared to previous and have had some good days. Not a lot of springs but most of the ones I have caught are on 5" or 6" green and white Tomic spoons, 160' or more. They've also landed several coho many of which have been caught 160-220 feet and always wild. In fact I haven't caught a hatchery fish except for a spring for over a month. Seems weird but at least we can keep one wild coho.
I haven't had much luck with hoochies this year maybe because I'm using mainly spoons. All my fishing has been out front FC down to the hump with my biggest spring 26# right out front of the marina. Cheers.

Went out today solo, it's been a while. It was blowing SE so I headed for Ballenas and trolled for a couple hours that produced some small shakers and not much else til the high tide bite. Bonked a 20 liber then shortly after a 15. Sorry it's been a while since I posted a pic but will try tomorrow. Both fish were at 160ft near bottom on a UV hootchy. Limit for the Big red snapper!.............BRS

Hey Klob, it's weird without a boat, had to use a friends little double eagle. I've had a bunch of guys take me out on their boats but it's nice to get out by yourself. It's even nicer when you limit.......BRS

The snapper is baaack :) Glad to hear you're back limiting out. If you want to go out let me know. I have the boat sitting in the bay just idling and waiting to go.

Out tonight for the night bite with Vancity Tyee at Ballenas. Picked up two springs, 17 & 11 and a couple coho. Awesome night fishing.

Has anybody tried running to Lasqueti for sox? Do they stack up there at all? I've been told they all shoot through Sabine Channel so you'd think you could get them on the east end of lasqueti as they exit.

Mr wood what was the hot ticket taking my father out there tomorrow am and was considering fishing Ballenas or maybe Lesquiti in hopes of picking up some sox if springs are slow.

JuBy...small squirt with a rainbow trout type colouration. 40" or so leader, 40lb florocarbon, 130-140 on the riggers. Coho were shallower 50-60 on the riggers. I'll be out there tonight. Good luck.

Back