2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm new on this forum, and actually pretty green at the ocean fishing. I've recently gained access to a small 17' Boston Whaler, and have been going out a couple times a week after work. The boat is outfitted with a Lowrance fishfinder and dual manual downriggers. So far I have not had a heck of a lot of luck landing any decent salmon (we got 4 real small ones the other day) and it's obviously something i'm doing wrong because I see all the beautiful fish pictures you're all posting here. We've been going out mainly around the QA marker and south just off the shelf west of the airport. We've switched back and forth from hoochies to anchovies, green flashers, mainly setting the downriggers to 30-40 feet, generally just keeping it wherever we see the contacts on the fish finder. I figured our trolling speed was a big issue because we're trolling on a 115 two-stroke, but we had it down to under 2mph SOG and that should be fine i figured... no way to read water speed on this boat.

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Love the forum by the way, I've found a ton of good info and stories already.

Hey guys,
Was out Thursday and here's the poop.
Couldn't keep the shakers off the line while using chovie and spoons. Had a couple of takers that the rookie crew I brought out unfortunately couldn't keep up with but long stretches of constantly clearing shakers.
Switched up to white hootchies just before we had to leave and immediately I had a beauty spring on that was lost to the drag malfunctioning on my Daiwa M-One Plus. 15 minutes later had replaced the M-One with a tiny old non clutched butter fly nut drag unit and another spring hits it and man took everything to keep it on the line. Had to reel twice for every one turn on the M-One and palm that baby but luckily managed to land a nice 17lb white spring that goes to the smoker.
Didn't get one shaker on the chovie and we found the springs shallower in the 60 to 80 foot depth of water fishing at 50 feet.
Took apart the Daiwa and was a simple case of lack of grease on the centerpin that was jamming the reel even with the drag backed off. Cost me a nice fish so grease em up guys.
I'll be out regularly over the next two weeks including tomorrow and will be monitoring 6 if you wanna check in with me give the Tiderunner a shout.
Tight lines!

Was out today from 7:00 to about 12:30. We started north of T10 and worked our way down. We picked up 3 or 4 undersize early, and then a couple sockeye. At At about 945 the plastic on my buddy's rail mounted scotty rod holder snapped (he thinks it was a fish..) and over went his trophy reel and fenwick hmx - one week old setup. Luckily that fish didn't pop the rigger clip, and all was retrieved.

Shortly after at about 10 we landed a gorgeous 18lb red.

Most of the action was on chovy and the other rod had a white needle fish hootchie. The fish were shallow - 25-30'

That nice red chinook is being made into gravlax as I type...

Attachments

• 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 370
  • 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 369
Last edited by a moderator:
Today we hooked up with 3 sockeye (released) on the kitchen sink. Pinks were taking the chovie and springs were taken on the sink as well. I introduced a buddy to the chuck today on his jet boat. Lets just say it is up for sale and he is hooked on the ocean now. I will be back out there tomorrow if the wind lets me as my 14' is all I have.

Headed out of the north arm Saturday and had my lines down at 1:30pm just SE of QA in about 220 feet. Circled the area two or three times before the first clip popped (43 feet). Good fight that lasted about 10 minutes in the end, but midway through the fight, my other line hit (54 feet)! First solo double header! Turned out to be 10# and 14# red.

Picked up Trendsetter at the dock and headed back out, this time just West/South West of the North Arm. What do you know, another double header! This time a 17.5# and a 15#, both reds. No other bites besides the ones we landed, all on anchovies.

Had a great day on the water with Cohochinook and my kid and his two friends. We left the dock at around 5.30am and headed to Sandheads. Lots of action on chovies, pinks mostly, but with the odd spring thrown in. I also ran herring (kept the pinks off) and we got a nice double header right after we bounced the bottom. Hootchies did OK for us today too, but definitely bait seemed to be where it was at. Most of our fish were at 70-40' deep. Hardly any wind out there, so a great ride home to boot.

A little late this morning lines down around 8am. A little slow to start. Got my first hit around 9:30, good fight but borderline so I tailed it. Used my igloo to see 65cm. I wouldn't have kept it last weekend but i wasn't sure how it's been. Took a pink. Then a double header, the second rod made me drop the first. Landed a football shaped 23 lb. White, the other one was gone. I switched out the bait to troll back to the north arm and look for a pink to finish out the day and hit 2 springs, one nice one, on a white hootchie glow red hotspot. Shook both off and headed her in. Was killing time looking for an easier tide to come in to the marina. Still working on my docking skills.

Good times out there old fella.......LOL, nice talking to you again.
Was a pink thing for us all day till the end, think the final tally was 11 with 2 doubles then into a nice red in the high teens in the 11hr as I was putting away some of the gear.
Momma and my daughter had a blast, couldnt have asked for a nicer day

Nice day

Was out from 10 until 4 today. Started at the t10 buy releasing a nice pink then around twelve hooked up with a nice 22# spring at 80'. Took an anchovy in a army truck teaser head behind the moonjelly flasher. This setup has been producing consistently for me. Moved to the north arm and missed a good strike as well as releasing two more pinks. Notably absent were the dogfish today. Could not have asked for better conditions for my small boat. Will try to post the pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 406
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 410
Must say the RCMP boat did wonders at the t10 this afternoon. I get out there late and get checked with no issues. right after I could tac between 90 and 150 all the way to the sand heads without anyone in the way as everyone for some reason left the area. Hooked into a monster that hit hard and pulled line and never stopped. Ended up losing it as it broke a freshly tied leader from a teaser head. If I kept all the little ones I caught today I would probably have 100 pounds of meat. It was a tough day for us today but what a perfect calm day.

If I kept all the little ones I caught today I would probably have 100 pounds of meat. It was a tough day for us today but what a perfect calm day.
I put in two and a half hours yesterday afternoon and trolled from part way between T10 and Sandheads up to the North Arm. The number of small grilse in the T10 area was amazing and the lack of dogfish was refreshing. Picked up a 26 lb marbled spring (40 feet on a white hootchie) between T10 and the North Arm that was starting to darken up a bit. Had crossed the strait for a week plus on Saltspring on August 17 and caught a mid 20's on the way over and on the way home from the island yesterday caught its brother ... it really is good to live here.

Must say the RCMP boat did wonders at the t10 this afternoon. I get out there late and get checked with no issues. right after I could tac between 90 and 150 all the way to the sand heads without anyone in the way as everyone for some reason left the area.

Yeah I noticed that also......lol
Interestingly enough this was the first safety check I have ever had locally since I started fishing in my own boat in 1982, officers did a good job of getting thru in a timely manner.
Glad to see it but I gotta say its way over due, enforcement on our waters has always seemed like a joke.

Well, the weather gods shone on us yesterday and had a really late start south of north arm. Fishing by 3:50pm with a buddy of mine. Then the gear gods punished me a little and was down to one rigger. Just when i was cranky about that we hit our first spring. Buddies first spring on the ocean ever. Managed 3 springs in total and a pile of shakers (no pinks, no sharks). All reds from about 16-20lbs. All three were on chovies. Pulled the last rod up at 6:50. Lots of dolphins moved in which made for some nice scenery. Not bad for a late afternoon shift!

Bazaar Jumpers

Yeah I noticed that also......lol
Interestingly enough this was the first safety check I have ever had locally since I started fishing in my own boat in 1982, officers did a good job of getting thru in a timely manner.
Glad to see it but I gotta say its way over due, enforcement on our waters has always seemed like a joke.

On our way back to the ramp up the north arm we passed the RCMP boat heading seaward. One was driving, the other two were jumping up and down on the pontunes holding on to the hard top, one on each side.....
They really should let them out more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back