2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good times. Sandheads was also on fire, bonked 2 springs one over 25lbs both on spoons 50'-70' also got a nice pink for today's BBQ. Get out now! this fishery tapers off fast.

Fished T10 & Sandheads from 9:00am - 7:00pm. Beautiful day on the water and a couple red teenagers in the fish box. Lost one to a seal and another busted off. All on anchovy's 45' - 50'. Looking forward to the next trip!

Fished the Bell Bouy and the cap on Sat - Lost a big spring at the side of the boat - Hard to be the netter and the fisherman all at once I bet if anyone was around they got a good show. Caught about 12 pinks and had a good day with 3 kept for the smoker. Sunday we fished the Bell again as it was to much of a risk to go to the T-10. Boated 3 springs all around 17 - 20 lbs. One was very interesting as it was a very pissed off fish, jumping at least four times. No time to bring up the other line as the fish came straight to the boat and decided it would put on a show right at the side of the boat. Quick thinking as we were passing rods around to make sure there was no tangle. No way did this fish want anything to do with going in the net as we tried many times. Then in it went and we both fell back to our seats to have a look and this spring must have been hungry as it swallowed the hook. All springs but one were taken between 50' - 60' while one of them hooked up while dropping the ball and the pinks were taken at 13'. Good weekend ended with a great feast

I couldn't buy a fish at the bell on Sat. Only saw three or four fish caugh but ya can't see all the boats i guess

I took Demco99 out on sunday Morning. We turned the lights on at T10 and boated our first fish before anybody else was on the scene. The first fish was followed up by a two more one weighting in at 23lb. We lost another over 20lb fish at the boat as it was smart enough to take a run at the prop and cut the line. It was awesome being out with an experienced crew member I learned a lot. I will definielty be offering up seats more often as it was great to meet another member. Big warning to those heading out this week. watch those crab traps they come up quickly and are sometimes hard to see. We hooked up two with 2 traps and had to back up to get lose.

Looks like we have a big week coming up, finally some high tides in the morning. Im hoping to hit as many as I can. Just got back into fishing the chuck after living in FSJ/Alberta for 16 years, and caught my first spring (just shy of 20lbs) yesterday, quite the feeling re-learning everything after so long.

Am I right in assuming NW is the worst for around T10...was planing on taking my buds kid out for his first salmon fishing trip this week. Wednesday is NW 10-15 and then calm for Thursday.
Would really appreciate hearing from anyone tomorrow on the conditions as we were really hoping to get out for Wednesday but will wait if we have to.
Saturday at Sandheads newbie bud lost his first spring and I managed to get a fiesty 12lber. Lots of eel grass made it more trouble than it was worth. 50 feet anchovie and green and white coyotes.
Sunday was clear of eel grass but couldn't keep the shakers off the line...one after another.
Fished between 1 and 5pm packed it in without a fish in the box.

Appreciate hearing from anyone out on Tuesday.

Northwest winds are the worst. Blowing across and down the straight, has a long time to pick up the waves. Anything over 15 will be really snotty and with the currents out there during tide change. Over 10 can still get bad. It depends to on your boat. If it is blowing out there you can go into the more protected areas around the capilano or even Vancouver harbor can offer a bit of protection. My advice, go on Thursday when there will be light winds. If you get S or SE winds blowing more off the land mass, you can get away with being out there with 10-20, usually will give you a 1-3 ft chop. Norhtwest 10-20 knots, prob looking more like 4-10 ft waves, the scary part is when you hit an area with heavy current and you get standing waves. A fish isn't worth it, if I take a wave over the bow, I pack it in.

Was anyone else out at T-10 area last night? We went out on my buddy's boat and got nothing but shakers in 3 hours. Fished north/south of T-10 in shallow and out deep. We were running chovies and hoochies but couldn't get a decent hit. Surprisingly few boats out there given the nice weather (flat as a pancake and sunny). Fished 1.5 hrs on either side of high slack. Very surprised not to get a good hit given the recent reports. Just a bad trip I suppose.

Tincan,
I was also out at T-10 on my buddies boat last night. We fished from about 430 to 645 there then headed over to the Bell. Nothing to report for us in the couple hours at T10 besides one missed strike on a chovy. One undersized at Bell right before dark and that was it for us. Also talked to another couple guys who had the same results...

skunked my last two trips out. Hoping a change of luck comes during tomorrows kick at the can...

Remember these big tides have pushed a lot of fish upriver-fresh ones should be coming in through October but gaps between runs are natural.

EDIT-Way to go Capt!

A buddy and I fished 4-6:30 and didn't hit any springs. We were south of T-10. Hit a couple of pinks. Fed shakers and dog fish our Chovies. Lol. Still a nice night to be on the water. Sure was a lot quieter than last week.

Cheers, Rob

Tincan,
I was also out at T-10 on my buddies boat last night. We fished from about 430 to 645 there then headed over to the Bell. Nothing to report for us in the couple hours at T10 besides one missed strike on a chovy. One undersized at Bell right before dark and that was it for us. Also talked to another couple guys who had the same results...

Curious if anyone is catching (and obviously releasing) any Sockeye? Obviously it's a pretty meagre season with the full closure, but if there's been some c&r from sports fisherman, it may show that there are some at least making to spawning grounds...

t 10

went out monday morning for my first solo trip of the year. dropped rods between north arm and t10 and trolled south. ran herring 1 side and 3/1 homeland security spoon other. about 3 grilse on spoon and was gonna switch it to avoid them when i turned to avoid a crab trap and a spring hit it. after some time playing and a few fumbled net attempts i managed to get it in the boat. 16 red
reset lines and trolled same tak nothing so trolled towa.rds south arm nothing.. trolled back towards t 10 and just as approaching herring gets hammered hard and lines going out. thought i was sealed actually and turned boat towards it. then had nothing but slack line. thought it was gone but reeled like crazy and still there. im in the middle of a few boats so just tryed to get under control and move out. finally after a good battle and a few more fumbled net attempts boated it. an 18 lb white.. . headed in after a **** show with a commercial crab trap.. fish at 57 ft. and 62 glow green
heriing set up

Sunday was good. 3 of a kind just like Capt
e6u9ytun.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back