2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a beauty day in October - flat calm and warm and no 20 K SE ever happened! Went out this afternoon to Sandheads and hit a coho 5 min after starting and then a little while later another coho ( both wild). Another fish hit but lost (likely coho) then a slow period for about 2 hours before some chaos with 2 double headers of chum right after each other! What incredible fighters taking lots of line and some spectacular jumps ! ( lost 2 boated 2) then a nice a hatch coho and a few min later a 5th chum lost at the boat before calling it quits.

IMG_5722 Oct6.jpgIMG_5727oct6.jpg

Was out at the Cap for a couple hours both mornings on the weekend before the current started to really pick up. Very quiet but managed to keep one good sized hatchery coho on Sunday and lost a really good spring Saturday when I tried to hurry him in ... likely due to Whiskerphobia as I had someone getting a little too close for comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been reading this forum for years, but here's my first 'shot' at contributing. Hubby and I headed out to the Sandheads yesterday. Couldn't have asked for a nicer day. Easy tides to launch in, warm, no wind. Even managed to land 2 coho (using anchovies) and BOTH turned out to be hatchery. Unheard of. Ate one last night. PERFECT late season fishing day. Got a 20 lb. spring there last week-end. Gotta love this sport. 5 months on the water and then 7 to plan, clean, re-line, sharpen, and wait...

Hhhmm, now that 've written this, I'm not sure how to actually post it. Will try to "Post quick reply" but could someone tell me what I should be doing THX!

Great contribution fishmate and nice catch!

clean, re-line, sharpen as you go. There is no reason to not be on the water 12 months of the year!

Is the South Arm the best place to target chum around Vancouver? When?

from bon chovy
October 7, 2013
Vancouver Fishing Report, October 7th

Pretty exciting weekend of fishing! Our full day trips to the Fraser River Mouth had some excellent coho and chum action on both Saturday and Sunday mornings. Iron Marlin hooked a dozen coho and a chum on Saturday and Van Herring hooked a dozen nice coho on Sunday. There were some hatchery coho in the mix, but most fish were wild. We had our success on hootchies and Gibbs UV Lemon Lime and Chartreuse Glow/Silver Flashers. We should see numbers of chum to build as the next few weeks are when the bulk of the Fraser River chum salmon enter the river

Some of my best Chum catches have been right deep in Vancouver harbour, including West Van shoreline.
After limiting on fall cap chinook a few years ago, I then moved in close to 14st dock area ( saw jumpers) and hit almost a dozen Chum before bite died. Bell to QA/North Arm has produced mutiple catches of Chum for me in the past as has T10 to Sandheads. If you were to ask me that question last Sunday I'd say come to Crabpot Bay ! .....they move around though but the whole area from Bell around the corner to Sandheads can hold schools of Chum. BTW anchovy works well .....however soc hootchies, purple hootchies and white hootchies have all done well at times. They are awesome fighters and often with great jumps . Hard to land as they go nuts at the boat even after a strong fight prior to getting to the boat.

If you were to ask me that question last Sunday I'd say come to Crabpot Bay !

Is that a real place or code for F-off my secret spot?

I'm going to head out either tomorrow or Friday and will poke around QA/North Arm after I've fished the flood at the cap. I've never hooked a chum so hope to scratch that off the list.

Is that a real place or code for F-off my secret spot?

I'm going to head out either tomorrow or Friday and will poke around QA/North Arm after I've fished the flood at the cap. I've never hooked a chum so hope to scratch that off the list.

Definately not a secret as been called that for many years - the area north of the lightship and toward T10 that forms a gradual shallow curve of a "bay" ....and always has tons of commie crab pots.

Thanks Peahead, I know the spot now, those floats are everywhere!

I've caught chum at the Cap before: We actually caught chum, spring, and coho on the same day! Just wondered where the best spot would be. So it sounds like in front of the North Arm or English Bay could be good too.

The weekend weather may be quite good.

Thanks

So if I were to go out this weekend for coho and chum where should I go north or south arm?

I went to the sandheads today...after losing my downrigger ball off the bottom at the cap mouth. I had some banana weights on board and caught 2 wild coho running full herring off them around 15-20 feet from 11-12:15. One had a few mean cuts along its back, perhaps from a seal? Pretty scrappy fight from it anywayIMG_1891.jpg

Wow, the posts are looking a little light...

We are heading out tomorrow 7am and heading to Sandheads. We will likely fish that area for a while then work our way north ending at the Cap for the 3ish flood.

We'll be sure to post fish or no fish but any intel pre trip would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving boys..

Hit Sandheads early morning and fished it all day. We caught a few wild coho which were quickly dispatched and a nice super fresh 12ish pound chum doe. A few long line releases as well. Good times with good buds....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back