2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started of at West Van to get some cover. Nothing doing for me. Headed for the t10 but found the fleet at the bellbouy. Apparentlly, I missed the morning bite. Fortunately , I salvaged the afternoon with a 15lb red solo and just to add a new twist had a freighter bearing down on me I had to keep an eye on. Landed the fish, corrected my course and watched the freighter sail by a 100 yards away. Dam 15lbers always seem to be stubborn.

I started of at West Van to get some cover. Nothing doing for me. Headed for the t10 but found the fleet at the bellbouy. Apparentlly, I missed the morning bite. Fortunately , I salvaged the afternoon with a 15lb red solo and just to add a new twist had a freighter bearing down on me I had to keep an eye on. Landed the fish, corrected my course and watched the freighter sail by a 100 yards away. Dam 15lbers always seem to be stubborn.

Saw you out there today and gave you a wave, that was me in the pilot house trophy with green hull.

Fished north arm today for a short 1.5 hours. Picked up a decent sized pink and a few coho shakers. White mini squirt at 67' took the pink.

Saw you out there today and gave you a wave, that was me in the pilot house trophy with green hull.
I've seen you out their too, I just didn't know that was you! For some reason I thought you had a different boat. I will watch for you. You got me running my flashers closer to the ball about a year ago. Seems to work. Thanks!

I've seen you out their too, I just didn't know that was you! For some reason I thought you had a different boat. I will watch for you. You got me running my flashers closer to the ball about a year ago. Seems to work. Thanks!

Have to thank Garry and Terry from Bonnie lee for that tip.

Hit two real big fish between the mile marker and the bell, one lost right off the back of the boat and it was big and one savage hit that came on hooked after a fight we never saw. 61 and 41 feet on glo chovy and one on uv white hootchy. Released about a 10 to 12 lbs sockeye. We lost another beast later in the day farther south, not my day to land em lol.

Launched at Ambleside just after 7 AM yesterday morning and trolled with the tide. Used red flashers, one with a white mini squirt with 24" leader and one pink squirt 24" leader. Couldn't get the white squirt down first 3 attempts as I got 3 shakers in a row. Shortly after I hit a little flounder. All of this was out by the pink apartment and then I tried out by the fisheries. Trolled at 20' and 35' and as the day got warmer went lower (and then back up on the outgoing). Did bigger hootchies, coho killer and a coyote spoon or two. Lots of fish on the sounder but couldn't get a hit. Talking to some of the guys who came off at the same time, 2 boats had nothing not even a hit, the other two hit good size springs and cohos. The guys that got all the fish were using bait. I will add that to the arsenal when I'm back from holidays. Thanks for the help I think I'm on the right track.

Fished the morning packed up about 12:30. Quite the day, wind, rain, thunder and lighting. Seemed to clear up nicely once I had her tied back up. That's ok, my dogs need some attention.

Took home one pink, left one monster I lost when I lost control of the boat in the wind. One other hit that raked the bait. That was it for me.

Just used bait today. Only got into 1 dogfish this weekend but I kept the speed up and stayed up in the top 60'.I don't know if the speed hurt my results, I don't think so.

Fished North Arm to T10 this evening. Lots of bait fish around...had what seemed to be at least 60 to 100 Orca move through at around 6pm...amazing site...they just kept coming...all around the boat...the whale watching boats were further out as well and they also have whales all around them...never seen that many at one time so close to Vancouver before. Shortly after the killer whales moved thru, we landed a 14 lb. red Chinook using an anchovy at 85 feet...it was full of 4" to 5" herring. I hope those killer whales keep the seal population under control...funny I didn't see many seals out there this evening...:)

Anyone fished Gibsons or Camp Byng recently?

Gibsons has been quite of late
just a few fish here and there from the usual spots but nothing hot
16lber this sat gone and a 15lb the sunday before both on green splatter back with cracked ice flasher
80' on the rigger
lads are still catching a few off the beach at bonniebrooke pinks/ coho
but that seams to have slowed downas well
winds have been playing devils advocate as making seas sloppy and choppy
not fun if your solo or planning on running any distance

and to whom ever borrowed my crab set up i would like it back please
off gower point towards chaster house inline with the beach hut (new roof)
5' conduit pole with flo-green top 100' with leaded line 6oz snap weight 20' down and 40" stainless/rebar trap
orange scotty bait jar and back to back yellow bait cage

or be warned use any of it at your risk .........

It's Monday...... this is North Arm. We started at T10 but kept heading towards and past north arm. No anchovies....the dogfish would grab them right away. Stayed with hootchies. Worked great. Lost 1 monster at the boat, lost a couple other good ones on the hook set but had tons of action. We were in 100-200 ft of water but 145-175 seemed best.

Tight lines

Anyone been fishing over the gulf islands side lately? I was over there this weekend and got into a few pinks in a couple hours of fishing Trincomali but that's about it.

It's Monday...... this is North Arm. We started at T10 but kept heading towards and past north arm. No anchovies....the dogfish would grab them right away. Stayed with hootchies. Worked great. Lost 1 monster at the boat, lost a couple other good ones on the hook set but had tons of action.

Sounds pretty similar to the morning that I had yesterday at T-10 fishing with anchovies. Six dogfish that terrorized my leaders; a salmon that would have tipped 30 lbs that was lost at the side of the boat to a broken leader (don't even want to think it was nicked previously by a dogfish); one other long line release on a nice spring; and, one very red 17 lb spring into the boat. Was out by myself so it made for a busy morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished T-10 this morning. Nothing happening for us. Lost 1 and that was about it. My buddy in the adrenaline marine boat boxed a 31.5lb tyee and a 16. Both reds. Heading back out tomorrow. Will post a pick of that beast when I get home.

A couple of pics of the 31.5lber taken off T-10 Saturday morning.

Was out yesterday around the Bell and the Harbour. The lady and I lost both on a double right off the bat. Then picked up a 15lb Red shortly after.. A couple hits after that but nothin stuck... All on bait.

How'd you make out down at T-10 Tim/Dmurph???

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking back in my notes the last 6 years I see a trend starting aug. 15th-20th of great chinook numbers coming from Bell buoy and sandheads. Ive pulled limits most days during that time. Must be fresh fish showing up and ready to bite.
See u out there starting Friday.

Hey Gypsyking, just a couple undersize at the markers
we only shot down south for a couple hours and had nothing except a couple dogs
that seemed to chase bait and spoons half way up the water column for some strange reason
was quite the day weatherwise tho I think we had it all, cold, wet, windy, lightning, lumpy, flat, sunny, hot
dont think I missed anything,
oh yea porpoises and then a huge pod of orcas just as we left,
I think I heard Dave may have had better luck after we left tho

No, my poor luck continued, the one big hit we had broke off my main line after popping the pin bending the rod over and running. After losing three big big fish the day before right at the boat to spit hooks, I decided to do a little hook set, Judy put the brakesom a little and it was gone with the flasher. Speechless weekend for me. Two of the fish were right off the back end, just getting ready for the net. I would feel safe to say one was pushing thirty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back