2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
She usually doesn't last that long out there ! I guess submarines don't scare fish away too much! ....that was pretty cool for her to see that big sub that went by Thrasher too

Greg, what an awesome pic, and a perfect way to celebrate fathers day
I'm still trying to get my 8yo daughter into her first big fish, its going to happen reaaaaaal soon
whether she knows it or not, she's been a little bashful about grabbing a rod, but does like cranking in lines to check the gear.
Im not going to say anything to her but just hand her a live rod and head for the camera-priceless
I think a nice scrappy 8lb coho will be a great first salmon for her,
then fall springs lookout

Last edited by a moderator:
30 pounder off Camp Bing tonight! I netted while my buddy did an awesome job playing her out to the end. 3.5" Army Truck coyote spoon at 90 feet in 130 feet with bait showing everywhere. Lots of "just" under size released tonight and one nice wild coho that put up an awesome aerial battle. Big one was a whitey doe full of 5" herring. Girth measurement was 36"!!! Great night up here on the coast.

Thanks for the report - brings back memories fish'n Camp Bing ! Nice fish however you may want to check that girth measurement as more likely 26" .
A 36" girth at 30 lbs would mean the fish had to be only 18.5" long !! .... undersize ...lol !! Either that or you had one over 60 lbs !!!!

Hey peahead, not sure if measured correct but I took the tape and measured around the thickest part of the body in front of the dorsal fin and it was 36". I then measured for length and got 39". Then for weight we used a regular scale with me on it and then passed the fish over where it added up to just over 30 lbs bled out. Not having a proper fish scale we were scrambling to find a way to do it that would be most accurate. Please add your 2 cents on proper measurement guidelines to "guesstimate" a fish's weight as I've never done it before tonight.

well done lee & gary

test your scales against two 15lb cannon balls......lol

knew i should have jumped aboard and come fishing with you ...

Those dim's should make that fish around 63lbs +\-10%
Lengthxgirthxgirth/800

Those dim's should make that fish around 63lbs +\-10%
Lengthxgirthxgirth/800

The 36" was measured with a tailor's tape around the girth in front of the dorsal and 36" was total diameter. Is this the right way to do it?

Attachments

• TYEE.jpg
    TYEE.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 390
that's a friggen football, nice slab!
yeah that's how its measured,
maybe you should double check your scale if your sure on the measurements
but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to tell the difference between a 30 and a 60
any other pictures of the lucky B@stard that caught it holding it up for a better perspective on the size?
Tim

Here's Gary my new best friend "boat mechanic" for life holding said slab...........

Attachments

• IMG_2864 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2864 (Large).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 358
X2 what hookin up says !! Ok now you have me perking up a bit.

WHAT a beauty fish no matter what size!!!! OMG .
Lets figure this out. Girth measurement right infront of dorsal is correct. 39" length is about right for length for a 30 lb tyee but not a 60+ lber

.....If it was 26" girth it would be 26x26x39 divided by 800 = 32.95 lbs
.....If it was 36" girth it would be 36x36x39 divided by 800 = 63.18 lbs
The part that is very odd is that there is a big difference between a visual of a 32lb and a 63 lb chinook and also 39" is more indicative of a 30 lber length so something is either not right with measurement here or you got yourself the fattest shortest chinook over 60 lbs ever ! I just not sure a fish can even have those measurements .....anyone else ave any experience with what a normal 63 lber lenth would be ? - A 60 lb chinook would normally be much longer than 39 " !!

Ok just seeing the other photo now in the last post - had to be closer to 26" girth - looks like a tyee but not a double tyee ... very nice fish and congrats !!!

Its funny how some pics just don't do a fish justice. Gary had a hard time "hugging" her for this pic, and I gotta say it sure was a thick, dense, and heavy fish that I even had a hard time hauling out of the boat!

Fish looks more like just shy of tyee size to me more 28 29 pounds. usually see tye in the 41 inch area but it could be bad picture.
Pic For reference, im 5 11 160 lbs the fish is 41.5 inch girth was 25inch.June11_538_sized.jpg

Holy...nice fish Coholips!

Sometimes hard to tell how big a fish is looking at pics cause they're all kinda proportionate but the thing I look for is the "wrist" size and man that fish has a thick wrist!!

arima , If you read back the point was not to decifer exact size, especially not from a photo !! The second photo just determined we weren't talking about a 36" girth sized double tyee is all. 39" long at 26" girth is a 32lb tyee and so is 41" long at 25" girth ...... they do come in different sizes and shapes ...

Ya I had a 38 lber a few years back now. posted it and people say no way that fish is....blah blah, I had a scale on it etc...I don't post pictures anymore.

nice fish, I am jealous. I need to get out there.

Ya I had a 38 lber a few years back now. posted it and people say no way that fish is....blah blah, I had a scale on it etc...I don't post pictures anymore.

nice fish, I am jealous. I need to get out there.

Yeah x2 .....I think arima must have needed a wink in his post surely he's joking about exacting size from a photo !! lol

it doesn't matter how much it weighed its a beauty:D,
most fisherman dream to get a shot at a fish like that just once
some never do, I think I need to explore some new areas lol
way to go guys!

That's a big fat chinook, look at the bell hanging and like others said the tail thickness. The fella holding it up looks to be a sizable human as well, and look at him hugging that thing to hold it up lol. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back