2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am heading over the straight tomorow in a attempt to break my 6 trip fishing curse! Any up to date fishing reports would be appreciated. The plan is to leave the dock about 6:00am which should get us over around 7:00. Then I want to look around for spot to drop some crab traps ( I have never been over there so I will have to do some searching once I am over there for a spot). Then head offshore and fish until either 4 fish are in the boat or it gets dark! If any of you are going to be out keep your eye open an give me a shout! Boats a 22ft Trophy Pro with hardtop!

Wish me luck and thanks everybody for the tips :)

Buccaneer, it was fine but is was a Monday. You don't need to make a reservation either. If there is space and the office is closed it is on the honour system. Drop box. Not sure what its like on weekends. I have dropped anchor in the harbour as well. Pages has dock space as well.

Moocher, info greatly appreciated.

Hey CaptPM
I am planning on running across as well...gotta wait for the barge in steveston to open for fuel but the conditions look good for the cross...see yah over there.
2301 Stiper Alaskan Hardtop Team Canada flag.

cheers....

Well after a tough start to the season finding out my hull was rotten and buying a new to me trophy rigging it up having it checked out and bottom painted finally got out this morning after work. At the hump at 6:40, lost first one, then an under sized one released, then a nice 14lber boated at 7:30, green and chrome spoon all at 99 feet. Feels good New boat seems to fish well... Happy Happy.

PS. got pics have to learn how to get them on here.

Just left thrasher beauty day out here. Flat calm. Got one 14lb a couple hours ago. 100ft on an original krippled k spoon off Grande in 800 ft of water. Picked up a nice ling too to round out the day.

:D How is the fishing going today, any luck out at the Hump. Any report is a good report, also how is the weather & wind out there.

Hump was pretty quiet this morning.lots of boats though. Tried prawning around paisley....whole Lotta nada.
Heard chatter gabriola was producing but nothing on this side. No wind today, maybe 5 knots...water is beautiful bit there is a fog or smog rolling in at the moment.

Cheers

Thrasher had a few fish caught today if you where in the right spot .deep water 150 down.
Missed a nice one and had a shaker and let a teenager go. Water was beauty or the run there and back.

Big day of first's for me! I finally broke the curse!!! Boated a 10lb white spring off shore Gabriola today. Was my first time crossing the straight and my very first Spring, and the first fish I ever caught using a spoon. The fish took an Irish Cream spoon at 165ft. We also had about 7-8 shakers all caught deep at 140-170 ft mostly on spoons. Awesome day out on the water even caught a 113 large Prawns off Trasher! I did however lose a prawn trap when we first picked up the line I felt something tug, then after we had about a 1/3 of the line up it all of a sudden went super tight and we couldn't lift it anymore. At this point I noticed that the line was was pulling the boat backwards, I then let the line go and off it went the buoy was dragging in the water with a wake. We started to follow and after about half a mile we decided to cut the line and pick up the buoy. I figured we caught a Russian sub! To everybody that helped me along way a big thanks to goes out to you all.

PS
Anybody coming out of the river this weekend go slow and watch for wood. It looked like a whole forest was floating in the south arm today!
21292_10151647513265185_967326026_n.jpg
374984_10151647513320185_1928283854_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on Marty!!!!, good eats there for sure,
glad the skunk is off, now everything you learned today will be out the door next time lol.
its just a matter of confidence, you were doing all the right things,
now you'll be a regular with the reports, I'll be leaving the dock in the am heading for thrasher
maybe see some of you over there, give us a wave/finger if you go by
Tim

Had a good day yesterday! Started out deep off Gab. with the other 10-12 boats milling around. Got a 15lb at 95' on a small anch. then lost a foul hooked one ( in belly under chin ) at the boat, about the same size.
The tide started running pretty hard, so we moved south of the marker about 10am. We fished the 140' line around the reef and got 2 more, 18 and 10, to keep, lost one to a tangle about 15lb. and released 2 undersized. All fish were + - the 100' range. Bait, glow coyote and green/yellow/uv hoochie all worked.
Once the flood started, we moved back out to deeper water until about 430, but only got 2 more undersized.
Between the beauty day and the semi steady action, it was great to be out! Pics once my phone charges.

Nice one Marty! Lot's of hard work and patience finally paying off. I'm sure there will be many more springs in store for you this summer! I'm getting antsy here in vancouver reading these reports... need to get out fishing soon.

Sounds like gabby was the place to be! Nice shot Blue, great looking slabs.

Congrats Marty. That's sounds like a great first day (as the other 5 were just a warm up!)
Thanks for the reports, sounds like I should have ran across yeaterday....

Tykkyt....are those forward riggers with the crazy long arms your tuna set up? I seem to recall in the Tuna thread you talking about them....but WOW...those are some long booms unless I am seeing things incorrectly in the photo!! :cool:

Oh.....nice fish too! ;)

Haha, ya, riggers are 14' long... what a bored ( pun ) machinist does over the winter...they can handle 12lbs or outrig for tuna

This thread is getting increasingly unbearable to read - fortunately, boat is almost ready to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back