2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave fisheries a good rub from 130-5 with no action other than a lemon sole haha .. calm, hot and wind free in there though, and ate jumbo crab thighs to the point of feeling sick while watching the hockey game....

Nice fish Chris, and congrats on the baby! You really need to start them early!

I was on the hump from about 7:00 to 12:30 yestersday running anchovy at the typical depth, not a even a sniff! From the chatter on the radio a few fish where caught but I didn't see anybody fighting a fish or diping a net. One of these trips I am going to figure out what I am doing wrong and actually catch a fish :)

anyone out there or heading out today??

Heard of a couple un posted fish @ the high tide @ 4pm-530 yesterday on the hump....debating trying there or heading across to Thrasher...suppose to pick up a little this evening but it looks like a short window of wind. Will be out around 2-3 to try me luck.

Congrats to others, some nice fish !
I was out at the hump area in that stunning weather with a buddy in his boat yesterday and while it took patience and lots of waiting for us ( and good stories) we managed 2 nice keepers (one about 9 and a teenager, both red) .....my partner on our 23' Grady White charter boat managed a 10 and 15 lbs as well as lost fish. The 2nd boat from that charter company also got into a few fish landing 2 keepers with one topping 18 lbs . Not stellar but nice to see on Vancouver side ......gotta love how fishing is fishing ... I think there was a post earlier that said "Never mind the Vancouver side of the Strait" .....never say never, I say .....lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to others, some nice fish !
I was out at the hump area in that stunning weather with a buddy in his boat yesterday and while it took patience and lots of waiting for us ( and good stories) we managed 2 nice keepers (one about 9 and a teenager, both red) .....my partner on our 23' Grady White charter boat managed a 10 and 15 lbs as well as lost fish. The 2nd boat from that charter company also got into a few fish landing 2 keepers with one topping 18 lbs . Not stellar but nice to see on Vancouver side ......gotta love how fishing is fishing ... I think there was a post earlier that said "Never mind the Vancouver side of the Strait" .....never say never, I say .....lol

Pretty sad when some ride on the coat tails of others !!! Blaze a trail young man!

May 3rd/2013.

Hello Fellow Anglers

The time is NOW!!!! If you are wanting to get out for some good Chinook fishing, now is the time. The Gulf Island fishery started up with a “bang” right on schedule as it seems to do every year. May 1st provided the first calm day, and the local guide from Gabriola was out and had a great day (boated 4 legal with his biggest at 32 lbs).

Of course I had to get there ASAP. Yesterday morning there was another calm “window”, so over a couple of us went for a scouting trip. We fished for Chinook for about 3 1/2 hours, and while we had a bit of a slow start (nothing for the first hour), we ended up with at least 9 hits from which we: kept 4 teenagers (17, 16, 12 lb reds, 17 lb marble), lost a teenager near the boat, released a couple undersize, and had another 2 or 3 hits. We then went looking for Lingcod, and got our two (a couple nice eating sized ones of 10 lbs or so) in very short order. We never bothered trolling structure, so I didn’t have a chance to put out squid and drag it along the bottom for Halibut.

Another buddy was also over there. He started earlier than us and kept fishing for Chinook for an hour or so after we quit. He also kept his 4, but released another 4 or 5 legal fish as well!!! There are definitely good numbers of fish over there!

This area should remain good for the next several weeks, and some years it continues right through July and into early August. I guess we will just have to see how it goes this year. Of course, it is fishing, so there will be slower periods during this time in addition to the hot ones, but in general, it is a very consistent fishery. It is hot right now, so now is likely a great time to try to get over there if it is a fishery that interests you. In addition the weather is great right now, so that is an added bonus. Wind is a consideration with this area, and we need relatively calm days to be able to head over. The NW kicked up yesterday afternoon just after we left, but it looks as if it will knock off by the end of the weekend, so next week we could see calm enough conditions as well as nice weather.

Wow! A 36lbr? That's 36lbs more then anything I have caught this year.

Wow! A 36lbr? That's 36lbs more then anything I have caught this year.

Last year a couple of legit 40's were found over there......hmmm.....

We crossed to thrasher yesterday. So Calm, so hot. Lines down at 2:30. Our buddy boat hit a double right off the bat. There boat had somewhat steady action...up to a mid teen. Our boat had about a half dozen hits, but nothing over 6 lbs. Made our way from Thrasher to Grande where quite a few boats were. It sounded like the morning was far better, heard lots of chatter on the radio when we got out of some nice fish being taken in numbers.

Tried quite a few lures but the producer was the TKO green/white and an original kripple k in brass/nickel....it got a screamer but I lost it on its third run...guessing mid teens.

Tough to beat yesterday....some big fish to the boat would have been great but one of the best days of the year water and weatherwise I'd say. I'm looking forward to my first release of a good fish...one of those 40's would be great :)

Mud and guts, who said this?? Great phrase.....

"life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favourite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOW-What a ride!"

Mud and guts, who said this?? Great phrase.....

"life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favourite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOW-What a ride!"

I forget, I'm pretty sure I was drinking when it was said to me though.

Thrasher to Grande offshore was pretty darn decent today. Some really nice fish being caught...depends in what fish you come across but most were high teens to mid twenties today. A couple of boats over there today were catch and release on anything under 20 pounds.

depends where you leave from I go out of mosquito creek takes 45 mins to an hour conditions depending.
buddy does it in his 17' all the time with the right water

Historically, how is the salmon fishing in this area around September?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back