2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the boat out for the first trip of the year. dropped the gear at the qa and trolled towards hump. after no action and seeing all the boats ahead at the hump picked up gear and ran rest of way. pulled up to pack and set rods on one side at 130 and 99 and started on other rigger. got 1 rod down on side when bottom rod starts thumping. boated a 8lb.red. then as im dealing with rods and fish the other side which i had at 32 ft. gets hammered and my buddy catches his first ever fish a 12lb red. after resetting rods including 2 shallow got another fish on that spat hook about 10 yards back at 42 ft. then not another sniff all day. all fish on blue chovies in glow green and a purple flash teaser. Felt good to put something in boat after such a tough go last year

Had a good day between grande and entrance, boxed 4 all 10 pound give or take a little. Had one good sized fish on I never saw, and a ridiculas amount of small five six pound fish, all in we had right around twenty hook ups today. Fish were hitting spatter back double glo green and same in blue hootchies at 160 in 600 to 1200 feet . If only it was a school a big springs, pretty fun though. Ended with a nice ling. I was hearing reports of good fishing off the hump.

Yep it was a stellar day for Solowey that's for sure, everytime we turned around you had something on it seemed, especially down in that bottom corner eh? heard lots being taken on both sides
we managed a 20 marble at 160 on anchovy that gave me the run of my life after it dove straight into 2 other flashers, man what a mess but about 20 mins later she came aboard hardest fighting fish I think I've ever had out there, sure thought it was going to give your tyee a run, big runs, smashed knuckles, burnt palms a little of everthing AND almost outa line (haha pun intended) 1 ling and a box full of crabs was a good day, arms are still sore man you gotta love it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Tim glad you and Rich landed a big one. Don't know what was up but even the small fish I was hitting were very strong fighters . First keeper that hit the gear hammered it and the drag wasn't set hard enough and birds nested the reel, thought I had a twenty or so fish on but just a 10. I imagine that fish of yours put up a hell of a fight.

Saturday was a good day. Left the dock at 6am and headed to Gabriola. Took some time to find a good spot to drop the prawn traps, then head out to the deep waters north of Thrasher. Caught two undersized to start the day, then boated a nice 21# in 1100 feet of water at depth of 175 on a spoon. The currents were absolutely crazy and was making it somewhat difficult to fish. Pulled the lines up and anchored at Thrasher for some bottom fishing with only a Rock Cod for our efforts. Fueled up and decided to head back to the mainland around 3pm, but stopped first at the Hump to use the rest of the daylight and take advantage of the unexpectedly calm waters. Great decision! Landed a 13# after about an hour of trolling (80 feet) on the exact same spoon and flasher that caught the 21. Hooked into another one and was bringing it in when the seal that was following us stole it!! I fought with it for a while until it took out a bunch of line, bashing my thumb in the process and eventually broke the line just after the flasher. I've only heard of this happening before, but can now tell my own story. The wind picked up pretty quickly around 6:00 or 6:30 and made for a very bumpy ride home.

13.5 hours and 150kms on the boat. Was a great day! Except for the 0 prawns in the trap.

L8vzySM.jpg

Fished off of thrasher friday am, only 2 undersize for our efforts, both on anchovie at 122'. Some wild currents to deal with as well. Saturday stopped at the hump because of the wind warning, released 4 undersize, landed an 8lb on chovie, lost a bigger one at the boat which I blame on the rookie with the net, lost a screamer which spit out the 3" cop car but bent the spoon and left teeth marks as well. Also released 3 small cod. So action wise, it was a pretty good day

Went out on my own Sunday a.m. to find some prawns, crab and salmon for Mother's and Mother in Law's Day. Dropped the traps and then had the lines down off on to the east of the hump in order to run with the yesterday's painful easterly across the hump (why does it have to be windy on the weekends?). Ran two lines at 100 ft (one each with an anchovie and an Irish cream) and one at 120 ft with an irish and one at 80 ft with an anchovie. After an hour of nothing, I hit approx 470 ft of water on the hump and hit a double at 100 ft at about 930am (boated an 11lb and lost one that was closer to 15lb) and then circled back and reset the reset the lines and hit another double at 100 ft at about 10am (boated a really pesky 18lber and released one that was about 11lb). Too much fun and a bit of semi-organized chaos that put a smile on the faces of a number of family members later in the day.

Saturday was a good day. Left the dock at 6am and headed to Gabriola. Took some time to find a good spot to drop the prawn traps, then head out to the deep waters north of Thrasher. Caught two undersized to start the day, then boated a nice 21# in 1100 feet of water at depth of 175 on a spoon. The currents were absolutely crazy and was making it somewhat difficult to fish. Pulled the lines up and anchored at Thrasher for some bottom fishing with only a Rock Cod for our efforts. Fueled up and decided to head back to the mainland around 3pm, but stopped first at the Hump to use the rest of the daylight and take advantage of the unexpectedly calm waters. Great decision! Landed a 13# after about an hour of trolling (80 feet) on the exact same spoon and flasher that caught the 21. Hooked into another one and was bringing it in when the seal that was following us stole it!! I fought with it for a while until it took out a bunch of line, bashing my thumb in the process and eventually broke the line just after the flasher. I've only heard of this happening before, but can now tell my own story. The wind picked up pretty quickly around 6:00 or 6:30 and made for a very bumpy ride home.

13.5 hours and 150kms on the boat. Was a great day! Except for the 0 prawns in the trap.

L8vzySM.jpg

Hey Jeff, just caught the pictures...nicely done! I'm hoping the weather gives me a window sometime mid-week, anyone else with the same idea?

Angelina, PM sent

reposting Bon Chovies fishing report for the area....

Solid Vancouver Fishing Continues!! May 15th
Filed under: Granville Fishing Charter Report, Vancouver Fishing Reports — Jason @ 7:16 am
We have had quite the week of angling. Most of our trips over the last week had great results with good numbers of chinook salmon up to 26 pounds. Most trips are seeing 4 to 10 hook ups a trip! We had a great day locally yesterday hooking 8 legal fish, a couple undersize, and a nice coho!

We have been doing well off the South End of Bowen Island and the Gulf Islands. Over the last few days our local fishery off the South End of Bowen Island has been just as good as the Gulf Islands.

On the Vancouver side of Georgia Strait, the “Hump” has been quite good. It has been especially productive on the last couple hours of the ebb and the first hour of the flood over the last few days. Anchovies were the ticket mid week, but spoons were definitely outproducing bait for the fleet on the weekend. Silver Horde spoons in the 3.5 to 4 inch range and the No Bananas G Force were good producers from 70 to 130 feet.

Over on the Gulf Island’s the offshore tacks from Entrance Island down to Thrasher Rock were pretty solid over the last week. The action slowed a bit late last week, but has since picked back up from the sounds of the radio chatter over the last few days. We have stayed on the Vancouver side so far this week as the fishing has been very good.

We will continue to focus our efforts on the South End of Bowen Island and the Gulf Islands for the rest of May. As we get into early June, the Gulf Island’s will likely be best producing area.

The summer like weather and the heavy rain that has followed over the last 10 days has really done a good job reducing the snow pack on the local mountains. It is looking like we may have decent Coho salmon fishing by the third week of June if this trend continues. It would be great to have an early start to our West Vancouver fishery!!

Please give us a call or an email if you would like to head out and experience some of the solid chinook fishing we are having right now!

Went over to Thrasher yesterday afternoon. We boated 2- 20's, 18, 14, 10, 10 in short order. All were on Anchovy. Tried a Irish Cream spoon and a Spackle Back Hoochie (nada). This morning was a different story. Hit 1 10 lber at around around 10:30. The water seemed murkier today. Don't know if that was why we had little success today. Dropped in at the Hump for a about 45 minutes and nothing. Tons of logs and crap in the water.

Thanks for the sticky mods :)

Planning on going out for first trip of the year, try the hump I suppose on Sunday, I have never gone out to the south end of Bowen. Since that is where the reports are coming from. It is calling for light winds on sunday getting up to 10 -15 nw. I suppose this will make it a bit sloppy out there in my 17 ft K&C. I thought I would launch at horse shoe. Maybe the forecast will change a bit by then. Any tips would be appreciated. Tight lines.

ya don't launch at horse shoe ......

3 to 5 miles off Bowen toward Nanaimo , find bait, fight fish, bonk fish and eat fish.

HT

Planning on going out for first trip of the year, try the hump I suppose on Sunday, I have never gone out to the south end of Bowen. Since that is where the reports are coming from. It is calling for light winds on sunday getting up to 10 -15 nw. I suppose this will make it a bit sloppy out there in my 17 ft K&C. I thought I would launch at horse shoe. Maybe the forecast will change a bit by then. Any tips would be appreciated. Tight lines.

you could probably launch that off ambleside I used to launch my old 18 bayliners and canaventures there with no issues , just check tides first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back