2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

montegobay ..... i,m with u on this one.
put trap out near ambelside , it was fishing pretty good , went back and goneso... found it down by pink palace , with top open. my traps are legal with name and phone numbers on them.
last year i pulled a milk jug with no ID or numbers on it off jerico and found one of my traps. i could tell buy the way my bait jar was wired in with stainless wrapping wire.
this time i put a huge heavy piece of 3/4 chain around the bottom. no way for it to roll in tide , put in closer nicely baited. and zip its gone. that was saturday !!!
last year i lost 10 traps.... i,m going to do a BAIT trap and catch the A-hole.....follow him to his tie up and and and , he will be a sorry @#$%^&* !!!!

montegobay ..... i,m with u on this one.
put trap out near ambelside , it was fishing pretty good , went back and goneso... found it down by pink palace , with top open. my traps are legal with name and phone numbers on them.
last year i pulled a milk jug with no ID or numbers on it off jerico and found one of my traps. i could tell buy the way my bait jar was wired in with stainless wrapping wire.
this time i put a huge heavy piece of 3/4 chain around the bottom. no way for it to roll in tide , put in closer nicely baited. and zip its gone. that was saturday !!!
last year i lost 10 traps.... i,m going to do a BAIT trap and catch the A-hole.....follow him to his tie up and and and , he will be a sorry @#$%^&* !!!!

We dropped our trap on Saturday off UBC. Left it all day as we were over at thrasher and it was still there and full when we got back.

This year we are using a heavy duty commercial trap that is damn near impossible to lift with only one person. It takes two of us and we are big guys, to struggle to get that thing up from 100'. Makes for a workout at the end of the day but those little skinny poachers don't have a hope in hell of dragging 125lbs up from 100'. Unless of course they have a powered pot puller.

Fraser is big and there is a shitload of seals by the albion...most of springs gonma be on edges of fraser not the main current where the albion nets. Seals have also been tsking some of the springs from the sets as they always have.
Albion is a poor indicator of whats going in the fraser right now

Was coming out north arm yesterday....couldn't believe what I saw. Well over 100 seals ferrying up the Fraser on a big log boom. No other boom held seals, but this one had literally over 100 basking in the sun, enjoying the trip up the river. Not sure when they hop off but who knows how long they ride it out...

And not to brag, but our boat can't talk for itself....

crossing the straight in 25+kn winds in the morning, the 250yami on the 22'NRiver burned an incredible 25-30L making the trip...on the way home it was pretty smooth with low winds...burned about 20L...thats making a trip to neck pt. from north arm, over to Ruxton Island south of Gabriola, out to thrasher, and back to macdonald boat launch. Add in the kicker and we figure 60L for the day. Still don't believe it but...there it is. Still shocked! What a package!

Also talked with a Creel Surveyor at the dock...of 25 boats over saturday and sunday, he only marked 1 fish, @ 18lbs from thrasher....seems like things have fallen right off in the last 2 days as Wed-Fri sounded pretty good via reports..

Last edited by a moderator:

crossing the straight in 25+kn winds in the morning, the 250yami on the 22'NRiver burned an incredible 25-30L making the trip...on the way home it was pretty smooth with low winds...burned about 20L...thats making a trip to neck pt. from north arm, over to Ruxton Island south of Gabriola, out to thrasher, and back to macdonald boat launch. Add in the kicker and we figure 60L for the day. Still don't believe it but...there it is. Still shocked! What a package!

Also talked with a Creel Surveyor at the dock...of 25 boats over saturday and sunday, he only marked 1 fish, @ 18lbs from thrasher....seems like things have fallen right off in the last 2 days as Wed-Fri sounded pretty good via reports..

Thats fantastic mileage I ran over to Gabriola saturday and used about 95 litres in my 2470 Pursuit with a OX66 225 HP which included trolling all day with a kicker and running around a little.

Oh really? That's interesting. What's the "real" indicator? How many are being illegally caught?

Hate to burst your bubble Finished Business, but you definitely want to check your figures. If you had your boat on plane, and completed that distance, it's simply not possible to have run all that distance with that amount of fuel. Either your North River is made of tin foil or the fuel bubbled up the filler neck and shut the nozzle off.

Hate to burst your bubble Finished Business, but you definitely want to check your figures. If you had your boat on plane, and completed that distance, it's simply not possible to have run all that distance with that amount of fuel. Either your North River is made of tin foil or the fuel bubbled up the filler neck and shut the nozzle off.

Why is it simply not possible? We run @ 3.9 miles / gallon. The crossing is 20 miles. it was choppy on the way over and smooth on the way back...one way took 1h20m and the other took 45mins from thrasher to north arm.

Put the time crossed against these numbers and its possible.
put the fuel consumption against these numbers and its possible.

so where is the impossible?

the boat ways 2500lbs wet, and the 250 4 stroke runs at 33-3500 RPM at cruising speed, barely above half throttle.

I'm thinking its possible! But definitely curious to your reasoning...Hell I could be wrong but crunching numbers between me and the owner of the boat, that's what we came up with. Always up for an enlightening though, I don't see a flaw in my math....

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 80 liters for the day in my explorer aprox 5200lbs 4.3 penta
9.9 merc trolling all day just to go to thrasher and back,
fuel burn is 10GPH at 4000rpm or if I drop it back a couple hundred rpms I get it down to about 8GPH,
a little better then 3MPG/GPS 30mph

That route looks to be (conservatively) about a 75 mile trip 75 / (60/4.5) = 5.6 miles per gal

compliments FD Lipper

popcorn_bag.jpg

Maybe it is time for a separate fuel consumption thread.

Just sayin'

That route looks to be (conservatively) about a 75 mile trip 75 / (60/4.5) = 5.6 miles per gal

May have fudged the full day numbers a bit (we didn't go all the way to Neck), but crossing the straight was an average of a 25L burn. Pretty sure on that.

I have done the McDonald boat launch to thrasher, troll all day and back 30+ times over the past two years. My Boat always uses 20-25 liters there, 2-5 liters per hour trolling and 20-25 liters back.

This is with a carb two stroke 70hp and 17' boat. You four strokers should be getting 30% better fuel economy so FB's numbers seem reasonable to me.

Edit: Good god, think of how much fuel that adds up to over the past two years!

I use 80 liters for the day in my explorer aprox 5200lbs 4.3 penta
9.9 merc trolling all day just to go to thrasher and back,
fuel burn is 10GPH at 4000rpm or if I drop it back a couple hundred rpms I get it down to about 8GPH,
a little better then 3MPG/GPS 30mph

I have the same engine and max cruising rpm in the manual is 3600, you are hurting your motor at 4000.

I can go tomorrow for an afternoon troll so I will have to stay local. Will report from the Hump winds allowing of course.

sorry to interrupt the fuel thread for a fish report but I will make it short;

Fished southside of Bowen Isl.
2 Springs (released one at 61cm could have stretched it out or even measure it again but wanted to get back in water ASAP)
80-120' on Greenspec Hoochie x 2

sorry to interrupt the fuel thread for a fish report but I will make it short;

Fished southside of Bowen Isl.
2 Springs (released one at 61cm could have stretched it out or even measure it again but wanted to get back in water ASAP)
80-120' on Greenspec Hoochie x 2

You forgot to tell us how much fuel you burned. lol Thanks for the report, gives me some hope.:)

Back