2011 Sockeye Run Port Alberni

This following is from Bob Cole, recieved 10/07/2011
I did email Check 6, not that I want to hurt P.A. BUT I want this BS from Dfo and the commercial sector to stop.
I have not got a reply

"Hello ____
Thank you for the offer of support. I foresaw this problem a week and a half ago and when nobody at the roundtable would listen and there was no consideration of the economic and reputation damage that a “full on” commercial fishery throughout our area would do, I walked away from the flawed process. We need to count more than fish numbers. We need to count people and economic values into fishing plans. The 2001 Fisheries Standing Enquiry into DFO’s mishandling of our Sockeye fishery in 2000 stated that the economic value to the local community should come first in any fishery plan. It hasn’t.
I, too, was at Clutesi this morning to meet some friends who had come over from Powell River to fish for our “famous” Sockeye and stay in our local hotels, eat in our restaurants, hire a guide, etc. In 8 hours yesterday they caught 5 Sockeye, that’s $100.00 each for the guide alone plus the 2 nights in the Howard Johnson, dinner a Little Bavaria, brunch today at Solda’s, their ferry and travel costs to get here, etc. They fished 5 hours this morning, one bite! They ended up buying Sockeye from the natives so at more than $1500.00, they may never return here to fish. Multiply that by the thousands of others and you can figure out what Pattison and company are robbing from us.
The creel surveyor talked to boat after boat who had no fish. Most likely 400 boats and 40 fish caught total. One for every 10th boat or 40th fisher. The recreational catch has fallen off the bottom of the scale.
Unless some drastic measures are implemented right away, we will have squandered any opportunity to rebuild our sport tourism economy and to build on the Ultimate Fishing Town title.
There must be at least 3 full days (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) without any commercial fishing of any sort below Lone Tree Point and above Hocking Point for some fish to gather and school up and for there to be any chance of the rec fishery catching any Sockeye. If too many fish make it into the lakes, the lakes can be fertilized to help with nutrients for the fry. Right now, our citizens and businesses are fish food for the commercial fleets.
I will try once more at Monday’s call to see if there is any movement by the other sectors and DFO, if not, I hope the whole town goes public and political. We can’t afford this to happen!
Bob "

Last edited by a moderator:
Something that needs to be mentioned is that a lot of the seine skippers and crew are native, if that has any bearing in the decisions being made. From what I see the natives run things in the Alberni watershead, not DFO. Very sad state of affairs and hard to be positive for the future.

This is the guy who has his name on the bottom of the gill net and seine notices. Everyone from the sports sector should call this #$^*%$#$^%$% and give him a blast about how they screwed up the sockeye season for us. I'm calling now.

Paul Preston, Resource Manager, Port Alberni (250) 720 4452

sox in Alberni

Great idea Codfather I called the number and gave him ablast .If everyone did this it might have some effect..

I supplied labour through my company to help build a couple of independent hatcheries and have helped with donations and my time. That all stopped about 5 years ago when I realised how stupid I was. Producing fish for the commercial sector so that they can screw me over ? :mad:

Great idea Codfather I called the number and gave him ablast .If everyone did this it might have some effect..

I called him last tuesday and we had a conversation for an hour. This commie opening shortened our holiday in port alberni by 10 days.. No point in staying there, nothing to catch.
I did see the memo from todays meeting.
Now everyone (DFO) is blaming nature and high/cold river water.. WTF.. Limits weekend July 02/03 and a line up at the cleaning table followed by NO ONE at the cleaning table yesterday morning at 9 am.

sockeye

can anyone give me an update on wether there is any improvement inthe sockeye fishing at china creek area????any info would be appreciated

Just spent the week at CC. It seems to be hit and miss with the Sox. One boat had a 2 man limit in about an hour on Monday, where others had a few or none. Maybe 20 or so boats putting in the effort on any given day near CC and Nahmint. Not too many Sox at the cleaning tables. We came home with 3 Sox for the week.

We spent most of the week out in Barkley near Pill Pt, Diplock and over to Swale Rk. Lots of mid-teens Springs, good sized Cohos and even a few Sox out near Pill Pt (taking anchovies of all things). Lots of boats at Swale Th-Fr, lots of wet nets. Fish seemed to be taking everything we had in the water: spoons, hootchies, anchovies. Most of our fish were caught at 70-100' at Swale, deeper to 175' at Pill.

Sounds like another Commercial opening on the way. Have fun dodging nets and get out to the Sound if you want to catch fish.

T'St

sockeye

Just spent the week at CC. It seems to be hit and miss with the Sox. One boat had a 2 man limit in about an hour on Monday, where others had a few or none. Maybe 20 or so boats putting in the effort on any given day near CC and Nahmint. Not too many Sox at the cleaning tables. We came home with 3 Sox for the week.

We spent most of the week out in Barkley near Pill Pt, Diplock and over to Swale Rk. Lots of mid-teens Springs, good sized Cohos and even a few Sox out near Pill Pt (taking anchovies of all things). Lots of boats at Swale Th-Fr, lots of wet nets. Fish seemed to be taking everything we had in the water: spoons, hootchies, anchovies. Most of our fish were caught at 70-100' at Swale, deeper to 175' at Pill.

Sounds like another Commercial opening on the way. Have fun dodging nets and get out to the Sound if you want to catch fish.

T'St

thanx for the info T:St very informative..I think Ill fish Sooke. cheers C.A

I wonder if the sockeye fishing might be ok in the next few days below Dunsmuir, below the seiners area of opening and seeing as though the gillies have brought in their nets in the sound? There is fish around, the seiners are allowed another 100000 fish!!

From Bob Cole 22 July 2011
Cc'd to
Bill Shaw
Bill.Shaw@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
PH 1-250-756-7152

Put the pressure on this guy everyone!!

"The meeting next Thursday may need some careful direction.
The Sockeye situation here has the general public calling for some DFO heads in regards to the “24/7 on aggressive commercial net fisheries” to the detriment of the local tourism economy (check out today’s letters to the editor in the AV Times from the Chamber ED).
I was involved in the Fisheries Standing Committee hearings held in Ucluelet in 2001 wherein another local Sockeye fiasco was the topic. It was determined by that committee and a subsequent economic impact study that the local economic factor MUST be included in all DFO management decisions regarding commercial and recreational fishing plans. This didn’t happen again this year due to the strong (political) influence of the seine group. Between that and Mother Nature, the rec fishery and tourism component collapsed completely.
I hope this can be addressed and resolved for the future in a rational manner at the table on Thursday.
Bob"

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all your efforts Island Gal : )

fd

From Bob Cole 22 July 2011
Cc'd to
Bill Shaw
Bill.Shaw@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
PH 1-250-756-7152

Put the pressure on this guy everyone!!

"The meeting next Thursday may need some careful direction.
The Sockeye situation here has the general public calling for some DFO heads in regards to the “24/7 on aggressive commercial net fisheries” to the detriment of the local tourism economy (check out today’s letters to the editor in the AV Times from the Chamber ED).
I was involved in the Fisheries Standing Committee hearings held in Ucluelet in 2001 wherein another local Sockeye fiasco was the topic. It was determined by that committee and a subsequent economic impact study that the local economic factor MUST be included in all DFO management decisions regarding commercial and recreational fishing plans. This didn’t happen again this year due to the strong (political) influence of the seine group. Between that and Mother Nature, the rec fishery and tourism component collapsed completely.
I hope this can be addressed and resolved for the future in a rational manner at the table on Thursday.
Bob"

I remember a year ago today I drove to China Creek from CR with my mum. We put the boat in, caught our limits and got home and put away for my niece's first birthday party back down in comox. Sure is a shame the same opportunity wasn't available this year.

Absolutely frigging ridiculous, given all the sporties have done for Port Alberni, WFNs fishing capital of Canada, all the history there, we are choked! I hope the guides continue to hammer the socks in the tidal portion of the river and put that money back into the community, I know they will, but sure would be nice to get some tourism dollars for the businesses in PA

Until everyone gets into this war we are going to continue to get hammered on. DFO's priority is not even commercial fishing per se.

It is NET FISHING, wiping out stocks and FARMING the ******* things.

The troll fleet didn't even get a chance at those fish!! To many guys working and to selective of a method for those goddamned assclowns to allow. Why release the summer run steelhead alive!?! **** that, that's a sportie fish. Gill the ******* and then toss it back dead.

Those douchebags have me laying awake at night for christ's sake!!

Current plan for the West Coast Fishing Guide's Association is we will/have requested all data on Commercial catch (location, numbers, method) plus all in-river migration data. Our intention is to form a committee of WCFGA members who have the technical background to complete a thorough analysis of the data, and formulate a set of recommendations we can advance to DFO and the Commercial Sector before the 2012 season. If we are not successful gaining the data we seek, we will make requests via Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation. Bottom line is we need to thoroughly understand the complex interplay between the commercial fishery, timing, location and determine where the impacts exist for the sport fishery so we can advance strategies that minimize the impact on our fishery.

Having said that, we all agree the fishery plan was a complete cluster "F" and someone has to be accountable...but the only way we can legitimately hold them accountable is with the facts and some well reasoned darts.

Failing that I suppose we could resort to hand grenades at 30 paces...winner takes all.

Current plan for the West Coast Fishing Guide's Association is we will/have requested all data on Commercial catch (location, numbers, method) plus all in-river migration data. Our intention is to form a committee of WCFGA members who have the technical background to complete a thorough analysis of the data, and formulate a set of recommendations we can advance to DFO and the Commercial Sector before the 2012 season. If we are not successful gaining the data we seek, we will make requests via Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation. Bottom line is we need to thoroughly understand the complex interplay between the commercial fishery, timing, location and determine where the impacts exist for the sport fishery so we can advance strategies that minimize the impact on our fishery.

Having said that, we all agree the fishery plan was a complete cluster "F" and someone has to be accountable...but the only way we can legitimately hold them accountable is with the facts and some well reasoned darts.

Failing that I suppose we could resort to hand grenades at 30 paces...winner takes all.

Hey Searun, great idea. I'm still pissed after the carnage and total disrespect shown by the commie sector we encountered last week!

SS

Somass sockeye harvest bulletin July 20 2011

SOCKEYE FORECAST: The July 28, 2011 forecast total return of Somass Sockeye to the terminal fishing area remains at 1,400,000. The escapement goal is 513,600. The total allowable catch for combined harvest in the terminal area is 886,400.
ESCAPEMENT: Total Somass sockeye escapement through July 23 is estimated at approximately 787,500 adults. Approximately 376,600 adults have entered Sproat Lake and approximately 410,900 have reached Great Central Lake. Up to 3,000 sockeye have migrated through each fishway daily over the past week. River temperatures have increased marginally. River flows remain more than adequate for sockeye migration.
BIOLOGICAL INFORMATION: Biological samples are collected from the test-boat and from commercial and First Nations fisheries in Alberni Inlet and Barkley Sound. 1,300 sockeye have been sampled in the test-fishery to date.
TEST-FISHING: The test-boat completed operations on July 26. The purpose of the test-fishery is to estimate abundance of sockeye in Barkley Sound and in the Alberni Inlet and to collect biological specimens for assessment of age and stock composition and parasite load. The test-fishery uses a combination of acoustic soundings and seine sets to determine the abundance of sockeye. Sockeye abundance from the July 25 and 26 test-fishery to was estimated at 5,000 for outside areas and 3,000 for inner Alberni Inlet. The estimated stock composition for Henderson Lake sockeye for outside areas was 27%. Weekly test-fishing catch information is found at the following website:
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/salmon/testfish/default.htm

ABORIGINAL FISHING: Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nations combined sockeye catch-to-date for 2011 is estimated at approximately 88,331, from a combination of two days per week gill-netting and communal drag-seine fishing at Papermill Dam.
Maa nulth First Nations have harvested an estimated 12,000 sockeye to date in 2011.
COMMERCIAL FISHING: Area D gill net vessels fished from 1 p.m., July 25 to 1 p.m., July 29 in Alberni Inlet. Gill-net catch is estimated at 229,026 to date for 2011.
Seine vessels fished on a rotating basis from Friday, July 22 to Friday July 29. Catch for this fishery was 660 sockeye. Catch to date for Area B seine is estimated at 192,335 sockeye.
RECREATIONAL FISHING: The Alberni Inlet recreational fishery has caught an estimated 43,300 sockeye to July 27, including 34,300 in ocean and 9,000 in tidal-water river fisheries.
Next Week’s Fishing Plans, as Determined by the Area 23 Harvest Committee:
Aboriginal – Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nations’ weekly fishing plans include a combination of river and Inlet gill-net fishing, communal drag-seine at Papermill Dam, and contract seine vessels fishing in Alberni Inlet.
Maa nulth Treaty harvest plans may include gill-netting in Barkley Sound and in Alberni Inlet south of Sproat Narrows. Fishing has commenced in Uchucklesit Inlet for Henderson Lake sockeye.

Commercial - Area D gill-net will fish 24 hours per day starting at 1 p.m. Tuesday, August 2 until 1 p.m. Friday, August 5 in Alberni Inlet from Hocking Point to Polly’s Point.

Area B seine fishing continues from 10:00 a.m. Friday, July 29 to 10:00 a.m. Friday, August 5 from Dunsmuir Point to the clock tower in Port Alberni harbour.

Recreational – Fishing continues at 4 per day in Alberni Inlet. Tidal portions of Somass River continue at 2 per day with no night fishing.
For more information please contact the DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440 or go on-line to the Area 23 page of the Recreational Fishing site:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s23-eng.htm
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/PN/2011/23-co.pdf - Coho
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/PN/2011/23-ch.pdf - Chinook

Somass Sockeye run characteristics for 2011
Observed 2011 abundance vs. Average Year abundance for
Early, On time and Late run patterns

From Bob Cole to DFO

"Hello Barry,
I am aware of the hail program and am also aware that many of your fleet aren’t all that timely with their hails. We get weekly updates at the roundtable regarding hails and catch guesstimates.
I must take exception to your suggestion of recreational fisher people catching 400-800 Sockeye.
Other than a very busy charter fisherman, for the entire season, and last year only, I would doubt that any sport fisher boated 800 Sockeye in Alberni.
I can tell you that I know all of the local guides and the few charter operators that did boat 400 or 500 over the entire season brought hundreds of thousands of outside dollars, through their clients, to our community in accommodation, meals and ancillary stuff, not to mention what they contribute here in moorage, maintenance, fuel, equipment, etc.
I, myself, do charity charters. I give a half dozen trips to the Pacific Salmon Foundation and a trip to Oceanside Ducks Unlimited, the MS Society of B.C., the local Rotary Club and the Hospice Society. I took about ten groups out last year and boated 121 Sockeye. Those trips raise average of $750.00 each at auction for those groups. One in Calgary went for $1800.00. The people that I take out stay and eat in Port Alberni at least one night. My contribution to the local economy is only a small part of what a successful recreational Sockeye fishery means to this community.
On top of that, I chair the local Sport Fish advisory Board, sit as a director of the West Coast Aquatic board, a director of the Pacific Salmon Foundation, a member of the Sockeye Working Group (Fraser Panel), the Prawn (High Use) working group, chair the Nahmint Enhancement Team, co-chair the local DADD’s fundraising events (PSF/DU), sit at the Somass Basin Watershed committee table and am involved with the Salmon Festival Society and the Chamber of Commerce. All as a volounteer. I don’t make a dime from the resource or what I do.
I am not alone. The many other people who are involved with fish in Alberni are members of the AV Enhancement Association, McLean Mill hatchery, stream keepers, Coho brood stock collectors, etc. We care about the resource, it’s survival and the community as a whole. We are here all year not just for the fishing season. We are the ones who look after the lakes and streams, lobby for the lake level controls to support the Sockeye spawning areas. We are passionate and dedicated and expect some consideration for all that we do.
This has been an odd year but, if managed properly, it could have provided better opportunity and results for all stakeholders.
I would love to see more involvement in the stewardship of the resource from those that have the benefits from it (seine and gill-net fishers).
Cheers,
Bob"

Back