2009-Barkley-Bamfield-Poett Nook Fish Reports

Good job guys! Im really gettin the itch to get out there, even more now! Boats in the fiberglass shop still, (rebuilding the transom), will be done this weekend, hang the engines on sunday, then off to Nootka, or Barclay! Yahhhoooooooooo!!!!![8D][8D][8D]

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Hopefully got this picture thing figured...

Been waiting for someone else to report, but doesn't look like anyone was out there this past weekend. I don't blame them, it was a little ugly...

Friday however was beautiful!

My wife decided she'd like to catch her first halibut, so we headed out to the surfline a couple of hours before tide change to see what we could jig up. Jodis friend started chumming before we had even managed to cross Imperial Eagle! Oh Oh...

Tough lady though, insited on staying out there for the tide.

We caught a few big lings and a couple of rockfish as the tide made its final push and then WHAM! Ten minutes before the slack and Jodis rod is doubled and it looks like she's gonna get the chance at her first.

No problem, a few pumps and reels and there is a nice 35lbr beside the boat. Gaffed, bonked and bled, into the cooler. One look at our greenfaced companion and we decided one was enough. Tough to leave right at the tide and especially with a couple hours chum working for us...

Today looks great again, gonna go solo for a few hours and see whats up.

[i
005.jpg
mg][/img]

Gimee the gaff!!!

Hey

Was in no rush to report, a rather un eventfull trip for our team , Jeff , Friday was real purdy , WE WORKED THAT DAY , we arrived there Thursday evening , dropped all our pots , Crab n Prawn , again , Unreal ! We did get 2 hours of fishing in , Sarita Friday evening , Whistle Buoy Saturday noonish , Man , What a miserable windy , wet outing , we bombed, 2 boats out of Poett did manage 4 Young-Ins , 8 - 12 lb range , Sarita , Afternoon Flood , they put some time and miles in for there rewards.I 'm thinkin the Sarita fish are on the Tail End. Whistle Buoy was almost un fishable , Large Westerlies , right in our face, 20 minutes , puled the gear , back to camp , Winter is not quite over yet , Packed up early , left Sunday Morning in a Wind Storm, BRUTAL...Look at it now , gorgeous out, whay da ya do.Nice meeting you Stress Med , see you soon, off to Fish the Sea of Cortez , Cabo , back in a month,
Cheers , FD,,;)

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

As planned we made it out for the weekend and overall it was a blast. The Queen and I left Clutisie by 10 Friday morning and since we were only going to Headquarters for Friday night we dropped prawn and crab traps around Macktush and did a bit of jigging while they were soaking. After 2 hours, 125 prawns (nice ones), 8 crab and one 9lb ling. This trips going to be okay.

Partied it up with friends eating everything but the ling and headed out for the Nook Saturday morning. After dropping the traps and settling into the cabin, we hit the water for a bit of fishing. Wind was picking up and kept us pretty well confined to Sarita Bay, but we managed one small keeper before it was done. Sunday was the pits, windy as hell and raining right from the get go. Managed a bit of calm water in front of the Nook, but no fish. Seen lots on the sounder and bait, but no takers. Before lunch things calmed down enough to take a run out to Beale, but the calm was just the wind turning and by the time we got to Whittlestone, it beat us back. Trolled halli and salmon gear back to Bamfield without a touch and it was getting pretty bumpy so we nipped over to Kirby and hopefully calmer water. It was flatter, but the wind was still howling and the swell was coming in from the west so we didn't last long there. Nothing on the sounder, so no loss. Back to the the traps in front of the Nook, just to find it was flat as pee on a plate and high tide was coming so, in true fisher person style, down went the lines. Lots of small bait balls on screen with quite a few fish showing. Wasn't long till we had another small keeper, and then just at high slack we got a 14.5 lber. Yea Hoooooo. Did that ever feel good. Fitting reward for braving the wind and rain. Monday dawned clear and calm. Beautiful. Was going to check out Beale again, but even though the wind was down, the swell was quite big just around the corner so we fished salmon out front of the Nook and tried jigging in a couple spots eventually working our way up to Chupp Point where we hit the gold mine, boating a 24lb ling. With that, the sun and calm water, it was damn near perfect. End score, 3 salmon, 2 ling, 4 rock fish, lots of big prawns and limit of crabs. It doesn't get much better than that. White glow hootchie and green glow teaser head with anchovie, 100 -120 ft. Tired coyote spoons, krippled k, cut plug, whole herring, speckled back green hootchie and a couple I forget. Fish (all of them) were full of needlefish (or what I was told were needlefish).
Halibut........ ....next time I guess.

Got to meet the Fog Ducker and Moss Man, but only crossed trails long enough to say hey and swap a bit of info. Next time we'll have to share a couple wobbly pops.

Tightlines & Cheers

Fished for a couple of hours yesterday and hooked and released about 8 springs at the whistle buoy. Most of the just legal variety. Had what I thought was a small hali wake up on me beside the boat and promptly shake the hook while I was reaching for the gaff - about a 15lb spring waving his tail goodbye at me! Just a bunch of dead weight to the boat... and pow.

So there are some bigger ones swimming around down there too. Wind looks sweeeeeet for the weekend!

Good job on the 14.5 at Sarita there Stresser!

I wondered about all of you guys while I was on Brady's Beach Sunday watching the waves pound in. Haven't been fishing Sarita lately, it began to get scratchy a couple weeks ago. Still a nice place to hide sometimes. Glad it gave up a few fish.

Gimee the gaff!!!

quote:Originally posted by Osama Bin Hopper

Been waiting for someone else to report, but doesn't look like anyone was out there this past weekend. I don't blame them, it was a little ugly...

My wife decided she'd like to catch her first halibut, so we headed out to the surfline a couple of hours before tide change to see what we could jig up. Jodis friend started chumming before we had even managed to cross Imperial Eagle! Oh Oh...

We caught a few big lings and a couple of rockfish as the tide made its final push and then WHAM! Ten minutes before the slack and Jodis rod is doubled and it looks like she's gonna get the chance at her first.

No problem, a few pumps and reels and there is a nice 35lbr beside the boat. Gaffed, bonked and bled, into the cooler. One look at our greenfaced companion and we decided one was enough. Tough to leave right at the tide and especially with a couple hours chum working for us...

[i
005.jpg
mg][/img]

Gimee the gaff!!!

Nice fish jodi.Way to go[8D]

JODI nice fish
perch
quote:Originally posted by Osama Bin Hopper

[i
005.jpg
mg][/img]

Gimee the gaff!!!

Good god.

Hooked 17 springs today at the surfline in about 2 hours. 2 double headers. Most in the 4-7 pound variety, no picklers, kept a 22 and 12. It was crazy by myself!

Yesterday was different gear for the client and went 2 for three - 12 and 17 respectively. He likes fly rods with cut plugs off the rigger above false flasher...

Halis are here, been tough in these tides, count on 2-3 bites at prime time and gettem' or don't... A couple beauty yelloweye for me today and no hali, but was only inshore trying. One of the snappers went 14 pounds!

Weathers looking deadly for a couple of days anyway, can't wait for the next good tide cycle.

Gimee the gaff!!!

I might be heading out next weekend. Osama, how deep are you getting them (springs) off Beale - surfline - off the bottom?

Thanks

Hey Hopper, after a beauty of a week and alot done around the lodge we managed a couple of nice hali in the 35 to 45 lb range.. The springs are a little slow in close our way with one legal and one under taken in Mayne Bay.. Fished Harbour E. to Swale on Wed. and not a bump. The bait seems to be real hit and miss.. E. me with a contact number, I will be running the fleet down the canal at the end of the week.. Great excuse to cruise your way while breaking in the new power..-cheers dirty[8D]

Osama and I were fishing most of the weekend in Bamfield with guests and just for fun. The bearded one also had 4 trips last week with some guests from Alberta and those guys were into fish everyday, the biggest being 22lbs. We got some hali's over the weekend too, so as soon as that wind dies down guys you should get out here. The fishing is good. 17 crabs in two 2 traps for dinner on the way home...

Im headin out there this weekend, be there friday to sunday. Any reccomendations where a guy might find a hali if the weather cooperates? Hope to see milsy and osama out there. What channel are you guys on?

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

weather depending i'm going to fish my way up from reny on sat and stay at Ian Mcs cabin fish around there for the day and head back sun sometime.

If the forcast holds, should be a great weekend for it. Been howling for 4 days now so it's bound to get better... We are usually on 6 at this time of the year IFL. Come in for a beer Friday night if you make it and we'll talk hali's.

Hope to see you on the water Bananas. If it's as sunny as last week bring your heavy SPF. I saw Ians 'new' boat the other day - pretty slick!

Gimee the gaff!!!

Oh yeah, Diry - I sent you my phone #

Back