Latest Vancouver Report/Synopsis.

fishin_magician

Thought I'd post this up. I know 4 Charter boats out in the SE'er right now, and two of them have nice fish on board.

Thought I'd cut and paste in one of the local charter guys reports as well.

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: February 12/2010.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

Wow, have I ever been slow getting out the newsletters this winter. I guess the main reason is that the fishing was pretty slow during December and January, and all the bait and fish that were around during that crappy weather in November seemed to vanish once the weather got nice in December. There were a few good days, but nothing too consistent for quite some time. On a positive note, the action finally looks to be heating up now that we are into February. It isn't "hot" yet, but there are definitely more fish around and the bait finally seems to be moving back into our fishing spots......the Chinook will be sure to follow.........

There have still been some slow days, but that is always the case during the winter fishery. It can be completely dead one day, and produce well the next. In the past week or so we have seen three "20 pound class" fish get taken from three completely different locations (Defence Is. in upper Howe Sound, the mouth of the Capilano R. in Vancouver Harbour, and off Entrance Is. outside Nanaimo), so this may mean we will see a repeat of the large fish that arrived late last February. We had some excellent results right around the New Moon phase (Feb 24th, 2009) last winter, as I boated a 26.5 lb, another "mid-teen", and lost another 20 lb+ fish at the boat (as well as some other hits and smaller fish released), but as good as that day was, an associate boated two in the 20's the very next day (one was just under that 30 lb "Tyee" mark! Recently we saw the best results in quite some time right around the Full Moon phase a couple weeks ago, so it will be interesting to see what occurs just after tomorrow's New Moon......I may just have to head out this afternoon for a look..... :)

It has been a winter where bait has generally been the best producing terminal tackle. Anglers using herring strip or anchovies trolled by them selves or behind a flasher have been seeing better success than those strictly using lures (spoons, plugs or hootchies), though spoons continue to easily be the second best choice of terminal gear (Gypsy or Coyote spoons for the most part). As usual at this time of year, trolling just off the bottom (generally within 10 feet) will provide the most consistent action, though in the "Harbour" the Chinook may be located a bit higher up off the bottom (say 20 to 30 feet up).

This winter I decided to get some moorage in Gibsons Marina in order to keep my boat from getting pounded too badly by the Squamish winds that frequently hit Horseshoe Bay during the winter months. It has been a nice change, as it is now easy for me to pop out for a few hours of "fun fishing" myself when I get some free time. I still run over to Horseshoe Bay to pick up any charters out of there, but I am also running charters out of Gibsons Marina for the next couple months.

Running from Gibsons eliminates the need to cross the stretch of water between Horseshoe Bay and Bowen Island which can be quite rough during the winter if/when we get strong Squamish or SE winds. The routes to the popular winter fishing destinations when leaving from Gibsons are very protected, and rough water is never a problem. If you are interested in doing a charter during these winter months you can always take the Langdale ferry over to Gibsons to avoid potentially rough conditions. If you wish to do so, I would "adjust" the cost of the charter accordingly to take into account the cost of your ferry fare. The first ferry for Langdale/Gibsons leaves Horseshoe Bay at 7:20 am, so you would be in Gibsons and we could be ready to head out fishing by about 8:30 am. If we depart from Horseshoe Bay, it is now light enough for us to depart at my usual 7:30 or 8:00 departure time.

If you are interested in doing a charter, I am presently fairly open. I am back working in Horseshoe Bay for a bit, so I am easily able to take the time to do a charter on quite short notice. Don't be afraid to call even with less than a day's notice, as it is possible we could make it work. I am basically available for mid-week charters, but the only weekend dates I have open in the next month are February 20th and 21st since I will be working for Shimano at the Abbotsford Tradex Show during the first weekend in March. My next open weekend dates would then be March 20th and 21st, then every other weekend after that. At this time of year, weather becomes a major factor, but when it cooperates it sure is nice to take advantage and get out on the water........some of the days in the past week have been VERY springlike!!!!

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter please e-mail or call me.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
david.korsch@eastlink.ca
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com
604-329-8642

Back