2009 - 2010 Halibut Debate + Poll

Yes join all the sask people that are probablly still crying in there beers (pilsner):D:DLOL
But this is a mess and we here can not really fix it only That dumb woman as our dfo minister do you really think she really gives a rats butt about us untill last year when she came out just as that boat burnt in sooke harbour that was the first time she has ever been here what we need is someone in gov that is from here and understands what goes on here.

And us on this forum writting letters is the only way the more she gets sick of us sending letters soon or later she will have to take notice so do your part everyone send of anonther one especially asking specific questions and see if they answer them.there seems to be alot of bored fisherman on here as per the other topics latly so send off a letter what have you got to loose!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I'm afraid writing letter's doesn't work either..
The replies i got back sounded like "shut up,go away and quit bothering us" rather than having any real concern for the situation.
I don't like to be negative but from the hundred's or thousands? of letter's written, has there been any action taken ?

Well it cant hurt the more we bug them soon or later they will have to say

"why are all these fisherman on the west coast pi$$ed off"

So yes keep it up they send us those letters to discourage us, so best way is to keep sending as they have to by law reply so its all documeneted and if it ever came down to a court case there is the proof.

If we dont, dont biatch later if you never did anything about it and they take things away.

Wolf

"why are all these fisherman on the west coast pi$$ed off"

Was wondering when we'd here from you Wolf,,;) , WCVI pissed? who ? explain ??

FD...

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

If you want the minister to take notice and react..don't write her a personal letter...write a well presented letter to the editors of major newspapers and say your bit convincingly and in a way that will embarrass her and DFO..all politicians will react to that strategy. They do not like being made to look bad publicly.

Hey some great posts here guys...I think we are starting to connect the dots. Time for us to think outside the box and look for some short term solutions for 2010...and figure out what it will take to deal with the legal issues facing Gov't if they amended the 88/12.

Searun

profisher, right on target!!! awareness on the part of the general public is a key factor in change. i have pretty much stopped writing the politicians but i do send them copies of the op-eds i submit to the various newspapers in our region. have had several interesting exchanges as a result. but, i am still waiting for change [}:)]

I hate to say it guys but this is the result of demanding wild fish at the consumer level. The value shoots up and the commercial sector demands a bigger piece of the pie and government listens. That is why you can't fish lobsters on the east coast as a private fisherman. They are a public resource that only the commercial sector has access too.

quote:...short term solutions for 2010...

searun, face it: there is NO short term solution to this mess! I am not signing anything lesser than an adequate share of the canadian TAC for sporties!

Speaking of legal issues facing the Gov, I truly think the only solution is to take them to court. We know the laws and the facts are on our side and they know that too but they count on our complacency. Where are the Alex Morton's for the halibut issue?

Not to stir it but many on here have no problem with 20 springs per year and continue to catch them all year long????? for our fishery (in vic) we are a tide fishery for halibut and can if conditions are perfect could get out maybe 15 times in a month to fish for halibut but really maybe 10 times a month thats if you didnt have to work on those days.
I would love to see a yearly limit!!!!! as we all fish with buddies and I know we all put fish the boat catches on guys who dont fish alot so cmon we have to get realistic

As for salmon fishing if you wanted to you can go every day anytime morning/afternoon/early night to try and catch our 20 salmon per year????? and yet thats not a problem hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm so why are you sooooo scared of a yearly halibut limit????
We have yearly and possesion limits from everything from a clam to a lingcod!!!! but yet halibut is the ONLY one not!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Code:
[/codeOriginally posted by bee15

what sense is 2 halibut a day when you are only allowed ten a year or basically one a month

The purpose behind a 10 fish annual limit is to restrict the total number of fish anyone can catch in a season.  This potentially benefits us in the short term because it has the ability to limit the total catch so we can stay within our TAC regardless of how long the season is allowed to continue.  If this year's TAC is reduced, we can always reduce the overall annual limit to match the requirement to stay within TAC and yet still allow a longer season.  I'm sure there are lots of guys out there catching more than 10 a year - this would curb that practice, more fairly distributing opportunity amoung all anglers.  How about the idea of issuing plastic tags that are attached to the fish upon capture?  Then a punch card that was required to be turned in at the end of the season to allow IHC to verify we are within TAC?

i would go for a limit per boat llicense which would spread the 12 percent around a lot better1o per person is ok but a limit per boat would be better

Well hows that going to work????
so all non boat owners could go on all of there buddies boat and use up the so called "quota" then whats the sense of owning your own boat???
Well that would be one way then no one would want a boat so most boats would be off the water?????

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

Salmon and lingcod have yearly limits so why not halibut.
As a halibut is ALOT larger per avg then any salmon or lingcod but it appers people are very afraid of it.
Strange........

Wolf

the halibut rules are fine as they are why change whats workingand has been workingfor a number of years theres lots of fish out there for everybody.government cant afford a whole new force just to enforceahalibut limit whenits unneeded

Who needs more than 10 halibut a year? Also explain why you need more than 10. A couple of fair questions that you need to answer honestly to win this argument against such a limit. This is what the whole issue comes down to. No different than does anyone need more than 2 or 3 deer per season.

Back