2009 - 2010 Halibut Debate + Poll

Still waiting to here from the thousands of Sports Fishing License Holders that caught more than 10 Halibut last year , I haven't heard of more than a hand full personally , so how the hell is this going to bring the Sporty Sector numbers down, Do YOU get it ,Is Halibut fishing that hot down South !!... It's a TAC issue dude , most of us have agreed to this already , why lobby a change that is not going to help us , Get the tac ratio balanced a little more evenly , then we can talk about annual limits , I agree .Sports fishing has grown rapidly in past years for halibut , boats are getting bigger , Technology is getting us there easier ,faster , at this rate , we will be seeing some extremely short seasons , less fish for all , in the very near future , Someone has got to step up and do whatever it takes to fix the TAC split soon , that i don't have the answer to.

Wolf , Don't know to many Sporty's that come close to filling there Annual Chinook limits either ( Weekend Warriors , NOT Guides ), Has the Chinook fishing gotten beter down south for you , since they put a 20 Annual Chinook Limit, ? Don't think so.. the number of fisherman sure has got higher though..

A Annual limit is a must , just not quite yet , 80 - 20 TAC , may be an answer for now , atleast a start

FD..;)

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

I like to fish the shoulder seasons for halibut when it is less crowded. Catch ratio is lower but it sure is more comfortable not having other boats anchor right on top of you. If a 10 fish annual limit would help to extend the length of the season then I am all in favour of it.

10 a year is tons, between me and my kids, thats 30, I eat fish alot, and i cant eat more than 10 a year, i would like to see the daily two, have to make long runs out of hardy for good hali fishing, would be nice to make it more wothwhile for the long run. But 1 is fine, its still a nice day an the water with freinds and family, which to me is what its more about, the fish is a bonus.

Fog yes there are some that get more than 20 springs a year when I see the same guys out every day for months at a time in the summer then kknow there going out also for winter springs yes its getting abused but.....
What we are talking about is something that wont happen anyways there not about to "change" a lic format it would cost too much its easier for them to send out closure dates then they dont have to send out officers to "patrol" and go check people etc.

Governemet is not smart all you have to do is look at the gun registry !!!!!! coming up to 4 BILLION now and its going for the 3rd reading then it will be scraped can you imagine what 4 billion would have done for heath care and fisheries!!!!!!!and yet its not a big deal to them we are very small pawns in the way of the government we on the west coast are very small minority (fisherman) thats why bugging them and sending off letters to and mps and newspapers etc the more that go out and the more we raise a fuss we may get some results look and FN issues they are 1% of the voting public but they have figured out the system and got the ball rolling and look whats happening now!!!!

I still think that any derby that is held a portion of the fundraising money that we fisherman give should stop going to the pacific salmon as it doesnt stay here locally. there has to be a lawyer that fishes and who is as passionate as we are, that money should go towards a lawyer who can represent a fight against DFO set up in a trust.
Hell I would be one of the first people to throw in a couple of hundred dollars for it and if everyone did it the trust would grow very fast as I think personally thats what needs to happen then maybe we have a chance.

My rant for the day Wolf

Cheers Wolf.. yes your right , there are the abusers out there , I agree , but , they , Imo , are not the reason for the drop in big numbers , a portion for sure , but ,I believe it's other bigger factors.

Don't quote me on this , I'm out the door here to work ,no time to look it up , did the dfo not reject the 10 a yeat already ,last season I believe ,i'm sure i read this somewhere on this thread , can someone confirm this , if so , why are we still talking about it , should we not concentrate on other ideas , LETTERS have not seem to get us anywhere , obviously ,I think most of us have voiced our opinions and frustrations on this, where do we go now , need some solid fresh ideas , imo ,,, again , we need to do this as allies , not enemies , common ground sounds pretty close here..

FD...;)

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

i agree, the same guys fish day in day out...there is NO way they record all their chinook and do take over 20 per. The annual limit doesn't stop this practice but at least it allows the possibility of a charge being laid if DFO gets a tip and decides to target the individual. Fog, you need to come down and see how many boats now fish hali's here on a good tide week. I think you would be shocked. There are over 300,000 people in the area and sometimes it seems like no one is working.

Fog this 10 per year idea has no bearing on keeping us under the 12% TAC,..it is all about a more even distribution of that 12% among our group. If we can get the TAC raised it would still do the same within that larger amount. It helps to stop a few fish hogs taking 50 while some miss out..especially if the season closes early before some get a chance to fish.

Profisher , I'm not shocked , I have fished with Island Outfitters , Iv'e seen it , " GONG SHOW " that was one of my points , it's growing in popularity , and , it will probabally get worse , that's why I am so hell bent on fixing the total tac , thinkin about the future guy's , THEN , when we do , let's talk about 10 - 8 - 5 Annually , I absolutely agree boy's

Gotta go to work

keep er goin..

FD..[8D]

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Profisher , you must know alot of guy's that have kept more than 10 Halibut down south, I fished WCVI alot this past few years ,yes there are guy's that easily scored 10 fish , but , met alot of people , alot of SFBC members ,lurkers ,that will agree with me on this , 95 % of them , did not keep 10 the year before , what can I say , it is what it is .

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Fog this 10 per year idea has no bearing on keeping us under the 12% TAC,..it is all about a more even distribution of that 12% among our group. If we can get the TAC raised it would still do the same within that larger amount. It helps to stop a few fish hogs taking 50 while some miss out..especially if the season closes early before some get a chance to fish.

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

[quote

Wolf , Don't know to many Sporty's that come close to filling there Annual Chinook limits either ( Weekend Warriors , NOT Guides ), Has the Chinook fishing gotten beter down south for you , since they put a 20 Annual Chinook Limit, ? Don't think so.. the number of fisherman sure has got higher though..

Come on FD you are telling me that you and your group of friends don't fill your dance card with the amount of time you guys are out. There are tons of die hards like us up and down the coast out every minute they can. Not guides....
Read this was gonna reply but Wolfy and Profisher beat me to it and they are bang on. I am very sure that a lot of guys catch more than 20 a year but only have 3 or 4 on their licence, be honest people!. What would change if this was implemented into the hali fishery. Nice illusion of smoke and mirrors that we are conserving the fishery. I want to preserve the fishery like everyone but down south here there are no conservation concerns!! Very different region by region......

IMG_3509.jpg

[/quote]

I don't keep track, but i would guess i kept about 12 -15 Halibut this year nothing over 45 lbs , and I have none in the freezer..
With fish that size family and friends can consume it within a week no problem.
I don't feel this is greedy and i would have no problem taking another one tomorrow if the wind would stop blowing.
I think it's pointless arguing over an annual limit as DFO are not on side with it.
They will continue to regulate the season with closures because it's easier for them.

I agree that the only way to deal with the issue is to launch a lawsuit against Gov't for unfair distribution of a public resource.
(Obviously an huge and expensive task)

Writing letter's just doesn't work and yes, i have written 3 of them.

I still think the coast needs to be addressed by area not as a coast wide area. Is this not how we manage salmon?

Set the limit at 1 per day in areas like Victoria/Sooke where it is getting pounded and is a short run that even a tinny can fish.

Set the limit at 2 per day in areas off shore where the there is less pressure and cost of fishing the area are higher. (fuel, travel, guided service...)

Put an annual limit (10-15) on them to curb the abusers and guides keeping fish for their guests. (still don't understand how some lodges do this and send the client home with over their personal limit)

I do not see how this does not satisfy everyone?

MHO

Tips

Luna
I love fishing , I am not out there every spare minute i get , I have a life , I am a Electrical Contractor that gets out to WCVI every few weeks ,to relieve some stress , I like to eat fish once and a while , I don't need 20 Springs a year ,I marked 11 Springs on my License this year , which is about average for me , My friends and guests , have never filled there Lisences on "MY " boat either. We don't bonk every fish that comes into our boat , Were more natorious for having a few pops , good times , and yes , we bring back our share of fish , anyone that has fished on my boat , knows , I release more than I keep ,,,Now back to Halibut , lol,,,

FD...;)...
quote:Originally posted by Luna

[quote

Come on FD you are telling me that you and your group of friends don't fill your dance card with the amount of time you guys are out. There are tons of die hards like us up and down the coast out every minute they can. Not guides....
Read this was gonna reply but Wolfy and Profisher beat me to it and they are bang on. I am very sure that a lot of guys catch more than 20 a year but only have 3 or 4 on their licence, be honest people!. What would change if this was implemented into the hali fishery. Nice illusion of smoke and mirrors that we are conserving the fishery. I want to preserve the fishery like everyone but down south here there are no conservation concerns!! Very different region by region......

IMG_3509.jpg
[/quote]

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Cheers All,

Very interesting topic and, enjoying the discussion. However...I seem to have a different interpretation. I thought the resources of Canada belong to ALL Canadians and are merely 'held' in trust by the government for the people of Canada.

At one time I thought it would be quite acceptable to simply divide the TAC in half, award 50% to the commercial and 50% to the sports and be done with it. The season would be only constrained by the need to protect the sustainable biomass. It would seem appropriate that the limit be set at 20 halibut/license/year (the same as salmon). Then sports interests would lease any surplus TAC back to the commercial interests for cash in advance (and I am sure they would love that!)but only to fisherman who were fishing their OWN license!

However, after listening to the arguements and intransient position being put forward by the commercials I have altered my outlook and my solution is to award the resources (i.e., halibut) to the people and not to select few who get rich at the expense of others who are relagated to the sidelines. I won't go into where the real money comes from while harvesting this species. Therefore, if there are 30,000 sports fishermen AND commercial fisherman in total, we divide the total by the TAC and every licence is able to catch 1/30,000 of the TAC.

Since that would be excessive for almost everyone that I could imagine, we could 'lease' the extra back to the commercials for financial consideration. It would be interesting to see how they would react to that type of arrangement. I am quite sure everyone would turn deaf from the wail of 400 commercials.

There is no doubt that there is a declining biomass but there is still more than enough for sports interests to be treated as the Canadians they are and not be sent to the sidelines part way through the season while 400 commercials have a financial field-day. I demand my equal share. I AM CANADIAN!

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Back