2-way radios

tubber

Does anyone know anything about these things? Are they a kid's toy or a useful tool? I need a three pack to communicate at track and field meets. Brand recommendation?

Height, antenna length/construction, power and frequency - all affect the range. The frequency range and antenna are fixed for these radios - so no altering that. Height - also hard to affect. I have used these radios. All transmissions are line-of-sight: 2-3km on a good day. All that is really left to choose is price, and make. The more expensive models may have more power output - check that. 5 watts is better than 2-3w - if you can find that. Waterproof is nice.

Height, antenna length/construction, power and frequency - all affect the range. The frequency range and antenna are fixed for these radios - so no altering that. Height - also hard to affect. I have used these radios. All transmissions are line-of-sight: 2-3km on a good day. All that is really left to choose is price, and make. The more expensive models may have more power output - check that. 5 watts is better than 2-3w - if you can find that. Waterproof is nice.
Okay, thanks. We only need to go from the finish line to the start line to the person with the starter's pistol. 250m max

Motorola sells a large variety of these radios, FRS (family radio service) have 1/2 watt of power, GMRS (general mobile radio service) have between 2-5 watts. You can get a hybrid that offers both FRS and GRMS, (more channels),get a set that offers plenty of privacy codes, you'll be surprised how many people are using these things. Not so important when on the water, but on a crowded sports field you'll be glad you can switch to an unused channel. As previously mentioned they are line of sight reception, some say they are good for up to 50km, but realistically expect 1-3 km. I use them with my buds on the chuck, If you can see their boat you can expect reception.

Our alpine ski club uses Baofeng VHF radios for coaching and race events. They were cheap so we took a chance, they proved so good we kept buying more each season, other clubs followed our lead and bought their own. They're the same price as FRS/GMRS, more durable, more powerful and far less chance of someone else on your channel. I don't think there's a dealer network per se, they're drop shipped from China. Link below is but one of many sellers.

http://www.446shop.com/views.asp?hw_id=178

Baofeng all the way , we use them hunting and the range and battery life are second to none
Buy direct from baofeng in the usa tho, they will ship direct to you

Industry Canada regulates radio frequencies in Canada. FRS and GMRS frequencies are designated as licence-free, Baofeng's operate outside of those frequencies and will probably require a licence. One thing to look for when buying a radio, does it have an integrated antenna? If the antenna can be removed, you need a licence. Using Baofeng's in the bush hunting or cross-country skiing probably won't bother anyone, but on your crowded sports field, when you start stepping on someone's frequency (i.e. Cops or any other licensed user) with Ready,Set, Go. You gonna have some 'splainin' to do Lucy. Lol. And you aren't gonna be too hard to find. I'm guessing the reason you can't find them in Canada is the whole licensing issue.

Yeah fair call. We have freqs designated for the ski club, actually it might be through BC Alpine or even Alpine Canada because there's always a couple of common channels that work for everyone when we go to a race.

Back