1995 Double Eagle 17.6

C

cannibal chris

I am looking at a 17.6 double eagle and a 100hp merc and a shorelander trailer(all are 95) with a 06 yamaha 8hp kicker and was wondering if anyone can give me a few ideas of what to watch out for.i know about floor and transom but would like to be a little more thorough. The boat has been used 5 times in 3 years and kept in garage.

thanks guys
chris

I take it the outboard is a 2 stroke ? I would pull the bottom leg oil plug and check the gear lube to make sure it's not milky.
ask when the last time the impeller was changed and make sure it's pumping water good.

I have a 1998 same model. If your at all worried take it to a marine mechanic and get him to give it a once over. You will be happy you did. If you do buy it you will love the hull great boats for around here. The only thing I don't like about mine is the size of gas tank 22gal to small for weekend trips. My buddy has a 1997 his tank is 33gal but doesn't have a fish well. Good luck.

Check the gear oil in both motors as craven said. The vent screw should be magnetic so look for metal shavings stuck to it. Also rub the gear oil between your fingers to feel for any metal particles.

For the 2-stroke:
1. Bring a compression gauge and check the compression on all cylinders. If you don't know how to properly run this test just ask.
2. Examine all the wiring on the power-head for corrosion and loose connections.
3. Check the power trim and tilt functions.
4. Bring a voltage tester and test the battery voltage when the motor is off. Start the motor with water muffs and check the battery voltage again. It should rise from the standing voltage if the charging system is working.
5. Check for a good strong pee stream from the tell tale output while running.
6. Put engine in gear fwd then reverse, ensure it shifts smoothly. Watch the prop while in gear to ensure it rotates smoothly.
7. The engine should idle around 900rpm on the water muffs and about 750-800 rpm in the water in neutral.

For the 4 stroke kicker:
1. Same as above but also take a look at the oil in the crankcase; check for water etc.

For the boat:
1. Transom and floor check as you noted. Also check around the seat bases as that is a common place for rot to occur.
2. Check for signs of water intrusion around the engine mounting bolts.
3. Check all lights and electronics work properly when the engine is running and not running.
4. Check the bilge pump is operational.
5. check any through hull fittings for signs of wear or leaks.

For the trailer:
1. Wheels, hubs, u-bolts, hitch receiver should all be in useable condition.
2. Registration should be present or you will have a pain getting insurance.

Last but not least, take the boat for a water trial if at all possible. Usually that's not worth it on a cheap boat but this one sounds like it's worth a few grand and I'd want to water test it. Some engine problems don't show until the boat is on the water and under power. For example a 4 cylinder 2 stroke can usually run fine at idle with one cylinder down from lack of spark or fuel. That same issue will become apparent when you try to plane out under load.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

That is a very good list. Yes the asking price for the boat is $9,000. It's over one the sunshine coast so on saturday i am going over there to check it out. Hopefully all is good with the eagle so i can bring her home.

thanks trendsetter and rs for the info
chris

What do you guys think of the asking price of $9,000 for the 95 double eagle with the 06 kicker and an 95 shorelander trailer and 95 100hp merc if it is in good condition. I will be viewing it on saturday and want to make sure i get a fair price but also want to be fair to the seller(he sounds very old and his wife had a stroke). any input would be great. I plan on following trendsetters list for a good inspection. The boat has a soft top but its not in great shape but i havnt seen pics yet.

thanks guys,
chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it is a pretty good deal. I would offer a little less and settle for around $8500 if you can.

Trendsetter, you should include a bill with that kind of information! lol

Per my pm I have similar boat with yamaha 90 2 stroke and yamaha 9.9 4 stroke electric start with seperate throttle.
Good shape with good top.
I would think 9k would be about what I could get with electonics included.
I am not a merc fan (for their older motors)

9K with top needing to be replaced is on the high end.

Great boats though. Best in their size in my opinion.

Tips

What do you guys think of the asking price of $9,000 for the 95 double eagle with the 06 kicker and an 95 shorelander trailer and 95 100hp merc if it is in good condition. I will be viewing it on saturday and want to make sure i get a fair price but also want to be fair to the seller(he sounds very old and his wife had a stroke). any input would be great. I plan on following trendsetters list for a good inspection. The boat has a soft top but its not in great shape but i havnt seen pics yet.

thanks guys,
chris

Can you post some pictures of the boat, motor and trailer? 9k sounds about right but condition is everything. But for 9k it should be water ready and not need anything other than minor maintenance. You should expect to have to change the water pump in the main, the oil in the kicker and the fuel filters in both as a start. So about 100 bucks in parts/supplies if you do it yourself.

You can break value down assuming everything is in very good condition.

Kicker: 1500
Main: 2200
Trailer: 1000
Boat: 4000

If some areas are in not so good condition then reduce the price accordingly. Also it must cost another 100 bucks or more to trailer it back on the ferry. I'd be comfortable paying around 8k if everything was kosher.

well here she is

Attachments

• double eagle 011.jpg
    double eagle 011.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 218
  • double eagle 009.jpg
    double eagle 009.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 202
  • double eagle 005.jpg
    double eagle 005.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 206
  • double eagle 006.jpg
    double eagle 006.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 203
  • double eagle 007.jpg
    double eagle 007.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 216
dub2.jpgdub.jpgdub3.jpg$RMTY69W.jpgyes CCB. the old guy was flexible when I first called him but i checked on friday and his add was still up so with all the interest and people wanting to come from north island to see the boat he wasnt very flexible. So $8800 was the price and i took it. Its tough to find a good newer double eagle for under ten grand. So i am gonna need a few of your canon balls in the new year. My fishing partner is going to outfit her witn new electric scottys and a chartplotter. the other double eagle i was considering was a 1988 16ft double eagle with a 1995 135hp black max with about a 100 hrs on a rebuilt powerhead and a brand new top. the trailer is a 1988 and it has two swivel seats. looks really nice in the pics that I received.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes CCB. the old guy was flexible when I first called him but i checked on friday and his add was still up so with all the interest and people wanting to come from north island to see the boat he wasnt very flexible. So $8800 was the price and i took it. Its tough to find a good newer double eagle for under ten grand. So i am gonna need a few of your canon balls in the new year. My fishing partner is going to outfit her witn new electric scottys and a chartplotter.

Nice good luck with the boat. Did you check out the motors. I can hook you up with a chart plotter and riggers as well if you like. I can just need model numbers you want to get you a price. I love t when people buy new toys.

excellent CCB. I will call you when we are ready to outfit her. yes i checked the motors and they seem good but i will take them to my marine mechanic for a once over just to make sure. those second pics are of the 16ft double eagle for $6900 that i did not purchase or view in person. if anyone is intersted I can put you in contact with the seller.

Back