1994 Pursuit 2350 Walkaround

Pursuits are my favourite production boat out there.Very good design and quality built boats from layup to hull&deck fittings to electric installation.I've had my eye on a 2870 for sale in Anacortes for a while now.If it wasn't for the weak Canadian dollar,it would be a good buy.I think it's at Nordic marine if anyone else is interested.I'm keeping my boat for now.

Thanks uclueletcharters very good advice, the boat goes into the shop on Wednesday to have the motor diagnosed, it won't be used for guiding, however I do take out a lot of friends and family out so definitely need it to be reliable out on the water. I'm a 5 min drive to marina and a 10 min run to the hunting grounds, and will be trolling with a 9.9 Zuk 90% of time.

Your very close to your fishing grounds, say it was 30 minutes each day of running on the main in 100 days of fishing that's only 50 hours of run time on the motor, if it checks out good it will last for many years. I would run it until it drops hope the health check goes well.

Last edited by a moderator:
talked to an experienced guy who repairs and sells most common OB at the boat show. He suggests a single lg over 2 sm OB-less $,less weight,better fuel economy,fewer repairs,room for a kicker, also recommends Yamaha since there are more mechanics on our coast to deal with repairs of these newer high tec motors and more parts on the shelf even though he admits most of the common mfg are producing reliable motors.

I have heard that on many hulls if you put a pod on a boat it will to pound more compared to the original set up. I have no personal experience with pods, open well boats switched to a pod look kind of ugly unless it's a serious refit. Keep it stock and in tip top shape for the best resale to all markets seems like once a hull is moded to much only serious fisherman will be the market and all the others lost. Best thing to do if the engine checks out good is making it shine and go over all the wiring and clean it up etc. Unless it's a work boat other things have priority in life, it's a good looking boat tiddle it up and run it, so many folks get caught up in a fashion show on the water and financially way deeper than they want. Funny thing is I caught as much fish as a kid in a 12 sears aluminum with a 9.9 evinrude lol so it's not how big your boat is or how new the power is it about good people and lots of laughs, pulling some fish on board that makes the day on the water. Skys the limits with boats and the money pit never ends.

Words of wisdom UC words of wisdom, that is exactly my thinking right now, boat will be used for primarily fishing, so I will need to rig it for west coast fishing as it has 2 penn manuals that I will replace with my Scotty's old electronics will need upgrading, tack on what the motor issue turns out costing, if repairable. So I am hoping for around 8-10gs that's for new used Yamaha, that would at least get out on the water next season at minimal costs. I hope to have the boat a while, so I can take my time,(more like get a second job) upgrading the boat to where I would eventually have a solid WC fishing boat. It's replacing a 19.2 Livingston Viking that I will be needing to get rid of, or might be wise to hold on to just in case repairs are not done in time. Some of my best memories of fishing in my life were the ol10 - 12 tinnys especially up and around PA area, sprout, central and the mighty toquart.

This is in response to captmike as far as what he's heard re one big motor vs 2 smaller engines thought it may be of interest. One motor is cheaper maintenance wise as far as fuel economy it's very close barely any different with a 300 vs twin 150's. The top speed is quicker with twin 150's vs a 300 and the hole shot a lot stronger with twin 150's. The difference overall performance wise is big in my opinion between a 300 and twin 150 counter rotation motors so much more control in wind when docking put one in forward one in reverse and you can spin the boat around on a dime. When running in big swells there's a lot less off and on the throttle I find with twins. But cost wise I do think the best deal is one large main and a 9.9 high thrust. I spun a prop way offshore and was sure happy to have the second large motor would have taken forever to get back in on a 9.9 . Was running Mirage props and switched to the new Enertia props what a difference motors sync better, stronger hole shot, lower plane speed and more top end plus improved fuel economy. These props were the same pitch props. Always was pessimistic as far as props but my first trip out my views changed. If it's in the budget I highly recommend the Enertia props.

Bloodbuggy it seems those old tiny's have put the fishing bug in many folks lol, I'm definitely one of them. I could tell you some pretty hilarious beyond low budget stories in order to get the lines in the water as a kid and we still caught fish. Sounds like you fished many of the similar areas, it was many moons ago but maybe you remember seeing a beat up tiny with lawn chairs strattling the seats with a couple of beach umbrellas to keep the rain off us in the canal lol. I won't tell you what we used as a cannon ball on our one downrigger, was hilarious. Those days created some of the best times on the water growing up. Fished off Bamfield along the wall, Nit Nat Gap and all over the eastside of the island but mostly Thrasher, Polier and Dodd and narrows. Now when I look at a 12 foot tiny and think of places I fished with buds over the years it's kind of like woow kind of nuts but we always hammered the fish lol! And lived to tell the stories.

I have to give you some insight on Nit Nat it's awsome timing is everything and you would need to check the regs as it's been years. First or second week in September just before the heavy rains come fishings amazing. On a flood tide right in the gap canal use casting gear buzz bomb or cut plug out front in the chuck is killer and big Chinook. There's quite a bit of current especially on an ebb to get out to ocean you have to time the waves as they crash on the sand bar you cross over. Wait for the wave to lay down and floor it many boats have been smashed including 45 foot commercial boats timings everything. Haul your boat in through Youbou and launch in the lake paved launch or we used to drive logging roads to the end of the lake to the second launch so you right there, it's a sandy beach 4x4 required. If it's to ugly on the outside fish inside in the lake at the last sand bar. That area is full of dungeoness as well. If your timings off the only option is fishing the salt chuck and Swiftshore bank is right in front so not a long run watch the boundaries.

As with any used boat purchase there is a lot of work to do, but I'll throw in a plug for a thorough review of the electrical system. It's a major source of reliability issues out on the water. If you're fairly handy, replacement or re-termination of substandard wiring isn't that difficult or expensive. Many posters here will recommend an automatic charging relay, and I'd be one of them. Maximises battery charging and prevents accidental discharge of your starting battery. Blue Seas makes a simple package called Add A Battery, costs a measly $150 and well worth it.

Update on Yammy 250 2 stroke. The motor is pooched according to mechanic, due to salt water corrosion. He said that he may be able to fix however due to how old the motor is (1994) and cost to repair and or replace all misc parts he quoted me between $2,500-3000 thats assuming he is able to remove all seized parts. So now i need to start looking for a used replacement, probably a newer (2000) Yamaha 225 -250 2 stroke with hopefully less than 1000 hrs, so if anyone knows of anything please let me know. BB

Sorry to hear the bad luck, I know a back yard guy ex marine mechanic for years who does some work out of his backyard rebuilds etc. If your looking for another opinion let me know he probably repair your motor for a great deal. I had my opti rebuilt new rings, one new piston, all gaskets, crank bearings, popet valve replaced and new fuel injection parts ( diaphrams ) plus the impellers replaced on both motors and a hydraulic trim leak fixed for $2000. If you just want another motor I believe Parksville Boat House has a 30" leg 250 yami in that vintage. Nice thing if you stay around that vintage you won't have to buck up for the new digital controls and that's prob $2500 alone. The guy I speak of does take his time but it's winter so if you have time on your side he's probably the best economic option. PM me if your interested he's located mid island area.

It looks like a 25" leg isn't yours a 30" leg?

Yes the one that's on the boat now is a XRL 30" captain mike told me he wasn't sure the leghth only that it was a XRL so I assumed that it was a 30,will need to find out exactly before making the trip to the mainland, would the 25" be to short UC, and thanks

If your current motor is a 30" leg your going to have to stick with a 30". I think it's pretty standard having a 30" leg on a boat of that size when running one main, a twin set up you would run 25" legs.

Back