1993 Evenrude 90hp v4 Blowing 20A Main engine fuse

sniperren

Hey guys,

I have been running this motor for two years now and it's been a great engine. I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it before a re-power. The last few times out I have been blowing the main engine fuse. It's the one back by the starter solenoid. The problem is, it's only blown three times now in about 8hrs of use so it's hard to isolate. When it blows I lose my power trim, fuel gauge and tack. All three times it has blown while the engine is running, twice while on step then the other day while I was coming to the dock. All the accessories still work. The engine still runs but once I shut it down I need to replace the fuse to start it back up again.

So far I have:

Looked at all the affected gauges to see if I could find a short behind a gauge. And nothing.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm all ears for any obvious areas to check?

Could it be a short in the ignition switch? (I'm planning on taking that apart and cleaning all connections.)

The power trim seems to work great, can't hear the motor labouring, it sounds normal. ( I was thinking a short in that system somewhere)

So far I can't think of anything I'm doing that would cause the fuse to blow I just look down at my rpm gauge and it reads zero and I know it's blown. The problem is I can't replicate it.

Thanks guys,

SR

Id look in the control box ? I would guess a wire has a short in it somewhere ?

Back