1992 Johnson 120

bigmeal

Just wondering if anyone has a repair manual that they would be willing to part with for this engine. I'm looking at possibly changing the impeller (water pump) on it. I talked to the original owner and he mentioned it had never been done. Any thoughts and if possible a spare manual would be appreciated. thanks

quote:Originally posted by bigmeal

thanks guys, I will give these a shot. I want to see if I'm up for the task.
Once you tie into it, and unless any suprises come up, you will find its an easy job. Make sure you turn the drive shaft the right direction when turning the impellor into the housing.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I have a 1977 140 evinrude. The original impellor. I have a clymer manual that shows evinrude and johnson up to 1990. You could borrow if you like. I am in nanaimo. Willyd

Thanks IFL I will make sure to that I do that. Willy D Thanks for the offer, but I am in Victoria and I think the links these guys have sent me will work out perfectly. I am surprised that you haven't had to change your impeller yet. I was told it was recommended to do it every 2-3 years. Probably more as a precaution. Good to see these motors running well into their 70's. I plan to keep this motor for a while.

quote:Originally posted by bigmeal

Thanks IFL I will make sure to that I do that. Willy D Thanks for the offer, but I am in Victoria and I think the links these guys have sent me will work out perfectly. I am surprised that you haven't had to change your impeller yet. I was told it was recommended to do it every 2-3 years. Probably more as a precaution. Good to see these motors running well into their 70's. I plan to keep this motor for a while.

The main reason waterpump inspection is recomended every 2 to 3 years is so you take the gearcase off before it seizes on and won't come off. When this happens it's usually the end of the line for the outboard when the waterpump does fail.The bill to fix it will be huge. New driveshaft,lots of time etc (The driveshaft most likely will have to be cut to remove the gearcase).:(

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

Thanks guys, I took all the suggestions and help and put to work. It took very little time and was quite simple. I really appreciate the help, it saved me quite a few bucks:D:D:D

Back