Mercruiser help needed

Maxpri

Hey guys, last night during the maiden voyage of my new to me boat I had some issues with the engine reviving high and slipping, overall just didn’t sound good. I’m just wondering if any of you guys on here are willing to have a look at it? The engine is only 2 years old and is still under warranty. If anyone can help try and save the season that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much and feel free to pm me.

I should add that the trim wasn’t working so the mechanic bypassed the switch cause it was broken. So it may have been the limiter on the engine not letting it go over 3000 rpm?

Last edited:
Maybe too simple but who knows ! I would check the hub in your prop. If something was hit the hub is designed to slip instead of damaging your prop. If you have a spare prop switch it over and give it a try.

Maybe too simple but who knows ! I would check the hub in your prop. If something was hit the hub is designed to slip instead of damaging your prop. If you have a spare prop switch it over and give it a try.
thanks BD I’ll check that

If not the prop?
Then maybe the engine coupler?
There’s some good Mercruiser groups on FB
X2
Hoping for you that it's the prop which is my first thought but if the motor isn't balanced correctly at the engine mounts your talking an engine pull and some $$$$ to replace the coupler.

Unfortunately if it’s not your prop, coupler would be my guess, happen to me on one of my I/o, would be ok until to much load and then slip,your motor was replace short time ago, my guess is the drive shaft was not aligne properly with the motor and stripped the splines, ***** job to do, need to pull the motor and drive, coupler is in between, @noluck maybe able to help you out

Last edited:
I’m gonna throw this one out there for good measure.
Prop Hub!
If you don’t have one to swap out. You should buy one and have a spare anyway. Not sure where your located but I have a couple around.

Agree it is unlikely it would be a coupler. After a good spin there wouldn’t be any splines left and you’d have next to no propulsion if any at all.

Are you just leaving your leg all the way down all the time ?

It could also me helpful what you mean by “overall didn’t sound good”.
My last failure was a issue in the lower unit. It was terrible noisey. I was able to drive ahead and next to no throttle but would then slip and lose all drive.
It was either a issue in the drive or coupler. A quick drain of my out drive oil told the story very quickly.
But it sounds like my issue was more severe then yours.

This. @Last_Call just had similar issue and it was just a toast hub.

I’m gonna throw this one out there for good measure.
Prop Hub!
If you don’t have one to swap out. You should buy one and have a spare anyway. Not sure where your located but I have a couple around.

Agree it is unlikely it would be a coupler. After a good spin there wouldn’t be any splines left and you’d have next to no propulsion if any at all.

Are you just leaving your leg all the way down all the time ?
My leg is up right now, the trim to go down is the one that’s broken so after the mechanic bypassed the switch we could put it back up. Thanks for the offer, I have quite a few spare props. I’ll try to do some testing today.

My leg is up right now, the trim to go down is the one that’s broken so after the mechanic bypassed the switch we could put it back up. Thanks for the offer, I have quite a few spare props. I’ll try to do some testing today.
Good luck

You'll know if it's the hub put it in gear if you can spin the prop it's the hub,maybe you tore a u joint out of it?,or the coupler,you did say the engine is 2 years old?,is the boat the same age?, you've got me thinking I'm replacing my coupler before I drop my engine back in!

You'll know if it's the hub put it in gear if you can spin the prop it's the hub,maybe you tore a u joint out of it?,or the coupler,you did say the engine is 2 years old?,is the boat the same age?, you've got me thinking I'm replacing my coupler before I drop my engine back in!
The boat is a 91, repowered. Thanks I’ll do that.

Back