1977 Double Eagle 206 Build

Nice work on the restoration look forward to the action shots might have missed it but what the plan for power?

Popped by the shop and the motors been mounted and wiring is coming along! More to come.

Attachments

• 7723B074-BEC6-4D73-B09A-BC28AE28BE43.jpeg
    7723B074-BEC6-4D73-B09A-BC28AE28BE43.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 327
  • 804A68AB-E24A-444F-A095-4B822BFD8B2D.jpeg
    804A68AB-E24A-444F-A095-4B822BFD8B2D.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 321
  • EFFE7B2F-20DE-4DC1-9701-462175B886F4.jpeg
    EFFE7B2F-20DE-4DC1-9701-462175B886F4.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 294
  • DAEBF90B-9F1D-4142-AED0-C2DCB0FE69AA.jpeg
    DAEBF90B-9F1D-4142-AED0-C2DCB0FE69AA.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 7CB1A9DB-2BDE-4C59-8904-398C7939B990.jpeg
    7CB1A9DB-2BDE-4C59-8904-398C7939B990.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 311
Stopped by the shop to get final steering location for rear helm sorted (no pictures yet). The radio is flush mounted now and things are nearing the end at the shop. Next step (after the shop) is to address the cuddy which I have neglected. The vinyl is beyond saving in there so will have to tear it down and re-carpet.

Anyone have recommendations in the port Alberni area for a place that will re-and-re my windshield Glass? I want to reset it as the seal is old.

Attachments

• 24B451F0-8F7A-42E8-87D9-4EC7CD0215BE.jpeg
    24B451F0-8F7A-42E8-87D9-4EC7CD0215BE.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 118A6C51-7379-47B3-8602-5628E689B922.jpeg
    118A6C51-7379-47B3-8602-5628E689B922.jpeg
    444.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 4A583147-8119-4726-9D09-8FCA2C28BDDA.jpeg
    4A583147-8119-4726-9D09-8FCA2C28BDDA.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 190
  • A906D487-2FEC-4156-85DF-C543B294A413.jpeg
    A906D487-2FEC-4156-85DF-C543B294A413.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 208
Do you actually need a primer ball? I think some motors actually say to not have one

Stopped by the shop to get final steering location for rear helm sorted (no pictures yet). The radio is flush mounted now and things are nearing the end at the shop. Next step (after the shop) is to address the cuddy which I have neglected. The vinyl is beyond saving in there so will have to tear it down and re-carpet.

Anyone have recommendations in the port Alberni area for a place that will re-and-re my windshield Glass? I want to reset it as the seal is old.
Hey Dude,

I just found your thread and all I can say is nice work! I am currently going through the BS of dealing with my windows on my Hourston. The roof and glass is currently off and I will be posting shortly about the horrid adventures with my side windows under a thread titled "Hourston pain in the Glass."
This is just a recommendation, but my own experience has lead me to believe that if you want something done right well, unfortunately you have to do it yourself. All the glass shops I talked to for my boat said contact the manufacturer (which has been out of business since 2017 and defunct as of 2019).
However in your case I would call Double Eagle if you need parts or they will give you the contact information of the vendor. Just another thought there is a lot of rhetoric saying to seal everything with sikaflex! Which is great unless you ever have to change a window:rolleyes: From speaking with some of the marine glass outfits they still use butyl tape and polysulfide sealants for filets.
Another hopefully useful tip is all the felt, pile, brush seals on the side windows are generic sliding glass door weather-stripping available at any of the DIY renovation outfits.

It appears I'm undergoing the same processes as yourself right now lol.

Again nice Job!

Hey Dude,

I just found your thread and all I can say is nice work! I am currently going through the BS of dealing with my windows on my Hourston. The roof and glass is currently off and I will be posting shortly about the horrid adventures with my side windows under a thread titled "Hourston pain in the Glass."
This is just a recommendation, but my own experience has lead me to believe that if you want something done right well, unfortunately you have to do it yourself. All the glass shops I talked to for my boat said contact the manufacturer (which has been out of business since 2017 and defunct as of 2019).
However in your case I would call Double Eagle if you need parts or they will give you the contact information of the vendor. Just another thought there is a lot of rhetoric saying to seal everything with sikaflex! Which is great unless you ever have to change a window:rolleyes: From speaking with some of the marine glass outfits they still use butyl tape and polysulfide sealants for filets.
Another hopefully useful tip is all the felt, pile, brush seals on the side windows are generic sliding glass door weather-stripping available at any of the DIY renovation outfits.

It appears I'm undergoing the same processes as yourself right now lol.

Again nice Job!
Thanks for the info! I think at some point the whole glass aluminum frame and roof will have to be lifted off and reset to the hull but the bolt hardware that secures it is of course not going to allow this (nut and bolt is rusted). My guess is they will have to be cut off, but I'm not sure if they are separate bolts or apart of the frame itself. For now I'm going to run as is, but would at least like the front windshield dealt with (which one would think can be done at a glass place).

For the sliders and weather strip, is this something that can be done while it's still in the housing?

AJR Marine Windows in Port Coquitlam is THE place to go. The owner/operator of AJR used to work for Double Eagle - installing windshields - when he was younger, and the products he builds today are top-notch. I had a complete new windshield and side windows made for my 1977 DE Rebuild Project - absolutely perfect fit. He also gave super advice on how to install it, too. if you need parts, I’m sure AJR would be able to help you.

Thanks for the info! I think at some point the whole glass aluminum frame and roof will have to be lifted off and reset to the hull but the bolt hardware that secures it is of course not going to allow this (nut and bolt is rusted). My guess is they will have to be cut off, but I'm not sure if they are separate bolts or apart of the frame itself. For now I'm going to run as is, but would at least like the front windshield dealt with (which one would think can be done at a glass place).

For the sliders and weather strip, is this something that can be done while it's still in the housing?
Yes, the pile weatherstripping can be done in situ but probably not fun. You should also be able to pop the side windows out. I’m not a DE guy but from having looked at the 20’ I believe they are similar to a 70’s sliding glass door (like mine). There are two packing strips under the glass in the lower track that are “D” shaped. Once these are out you can very carefully tip the windows out of the tracks. These packers with the combination of the pile weatherstripping are what holds the window in. These all wear out after time and I’ve heard of people losing side windows in the chop!

When I took my side windows out the amount of salt, pine needles, fishing line, and cigarette ashes, was shocking. I was also able to properly clean the side tracks, drain holes and…..
Again I haven’t done this on a DE.

As mentioned in this thread AJR is supposed to be really good but they are on the mainland. I have also had no email responses from them inquiring about my own project and little interest from them over the phone unless I wanted to purchase a whole new system. However they do very nice work from the photos I looked at.

Last edited:

I did the windows on my 206de. The hardtop can be removed by drilling out the pop rivets in the aluminum trim; the windows are held onto the cap by T bolts that slide into a channel on the bottom of the window frame. I wound up having to fabricate new window channel/sliders using uhmw as replacements are just not available anymore.
you must disassemble the window frame in order to do this.
For the front windows I bedded them in with butyl tape and again the rubber gasket trim that holds the glass in place isn’t available either, I searched for months and couldn’t find the right size profile.

I did the windows on my 206de. The hardtop can be removed by drilling out the pop rivets in the aluminum trim; the windows are held onto the cap by T bolts that slide into a channel on the bottom of the window frame. I wound up having to fabricate new window channel/sliders using uhmw as replacements are just not available anymore.
For the front windows I bedded them in with butyl tape and again the rubber gasket trim that holds the glass in place isn’t available either, I searched for months and couldn’t find the right size profile.
I
Thanks for this I just talked to a coworker today about his DE and he also explained that the frames had to be drilled apart.

That really sucks

Back