10' plus Moocher / Downrigger rod recomendations

I had some Older Techniums in medium and were great rods. I treated myself to 4 new medium heavy ones last summer (blue ones). The rods themselves are nice. However the new ones have a foam covered but end that is only foam on the last 1.5” on the rod. When they are in the tube rod holders there is a fair bit of torque on the bottom end of the rod and the but ends all snapped off. It’s because there isn’t anything there for backing inside. I gave up with warranty stuff and glued the foam back in place and put rod wrap on them to finish the summer off. I will only buy rods with solid but ends or caps from now on….live and learn. If you user Striker holders of won’t be an issue. The dealer said they had a lot with the same issue. Just my findings…
I solved this issue by gluing on some nice thick, long rubber butt caps - works great.

Those abu Garcia’s are absolute junk I bought a couple a couple years ago first one snapped putting downrigger down second one snapped first bite got 2 replacements both broke almost instantly again replaced again havnt fished them again collecting dust

Not much consensus here.
I had some old Shimanos that would explode pulling them off the clip.
Really want something that is bulletproof.
What are the guides using these days?

Not much consensus here.
You have had Shimano Techniums explode on you? Or some old Convergence rods known to be brittle?

If you have a crack or nick in any graphite rod it can break. No graphite based rod is fully bullet proof. If you want a truly bullet proof rod then you probably want a rod with lots of fiberglass in it. Heavy, less sensitive, but harder to break. Maybe check out Ugly Stick?

Last edited:
Not much consensus here.
Shimano Technium - medium heavy. Lot of the lodges run them. I run them. Haven’t ever seen one break personally and have thousands of hours fishing them over the years. They’re bullet proof and not too pricey. Can’t comment on their newer ones that are blue though.

You have had Shimano Techniums explode on you? Or some old Convergence rods known to be brittle?

If you have a crack or nick in any graphite rod it can break. No graphite based rod is fully bullet proof. If you want a truly bullet proof rod then you probably want a rod with lots of fiberglass in it. Heavy, less sensitive, but harder to break. Maybe check out Ugly Stick?
Not techniums. Old old ones. Probably 25 year years old. I've never broken a Lamiglass or even replaced any guides.

check out the TREND moocher X from Amundson....

Shimano Technium - medium heavy. Lot of the lodges run them. I run them. Haven’t ever seen one break personally and have thousands of hours fishing them over the years. They’re bullet proof and not too pricey. Can’t comment on their newer ones that are blue though.
Titan's are better. The new ones just blow up here and there. Meh.

i use 10'6 MH shimano techniums at home.

at the lodge we have an assortment of sages and techniums. I personally prefer the techniums because i dont like replacing tips every week.

good value for your money and comes with a warranty!

These, Cork handle upper for grip and carbon fibre down below for getting out of the rod holder, also has an aluminum reel foot. Apparently they were modelled after the older Fenwicks, similar to a 1265 which was my favorite rod of all time. It weighs only an ounce more than those rods but has more eyes so probably equivalent. I run the 10' 6" RE3F. Trotac has them. Reasonably priced. Something else, I tried some rods with plated eyes, they chipped. these rods have stainless eyes.

Screenshot_20220127-064307_Edge.jpg

Last edited:
Those abu Garcia’s are absolute junk I bought a couple a couple years ago first one snapped putting downrigger down second one snapped first bite got 2 replacements both broke almost instantly again replaced again havnt fished them again collecting dust
I had three Abu Garcias break in a month. They warranty them and told me they had a bad batch. But I couldn't trust them anymore. I switched to st Croix after that for my short rod and sage for my long rod. The st Croix is rare but awesome.

Back