What do I do with all these Tuna????

Brian Reiber

So thanks to an amazing first attempt at Tuna with my son Michael we are drowning in Tuna. So what do you guys do with yours? We have loined 16 Tuna. I will can quite a bit. I will keep some in loins and I will likely hot smoke or candy a bit as well. What do the Tuna guys on here do with theirs? I have had Tuna loins both cooked (rare of course) and raw (Sashimi). I like both however, I tried a piece of raw Tuna while we were carking them today and I wasn't impressed. I cooked a small piece and it was good. I'm hoping that my dislike for the raw meat is psychological and that I can get past it.

I know this is a vague question and everyone has a different opinion but how much do you guys loin/smoke/can? I dropped off 6 fish at St. Jean's and hopefully that will give me a better idea as to how much of each I would like.

To be honest I'm feeling a little sheepish about taking home 21 fish. The intense fishery just kind of got away on us. It was crazy fun and all of sudden there was a ridiculous amount of fish in the boat. I hope my friends and family like Tuna lol.

Brian

So thanks to an amazing first attempt at Tuna with my son Michael we are drowning in Tuna. So what do you guys do with yours? We have loined 16 Tuna. I will can quite a bit. I will keep some in loins and I will likely hot smoke or candy a bit as well. What do the Tuna guys on here do with theirs? I have had Tuna loins both cooked (rare of course) and raw (Sashimi). I like both however, I tried a piece of raw Tuna while we were carking them today and I wasn't impressed. I cooked a small piece and it was good. I'm hoping that my dislike for the raw meat is psychological and that I can get past it.

I know this is a vague question and everyone has a different opinion but how much do you guys loin/smoke/can? I dropped off 6 fish at St. Jean's and hopefully that will give me a better idea as to how much of each I would like.

To be honest I'm feeling a little sheepish about taking home 21 fish. The intense fishery just kind of got away on us. It was crazy fun and all of sudden there was a ridiculous amount of fish in the boat. I hope my friends and family like Tuna lol.

Brian
I'll take 3

Yeah man it is totally getting to that point. If I lived on the mainland I would probably be happy to drop a few loins off. I am insistent that we don't take more than we can eat and I'm a little worried that I took too much this time.
Lesson learned. I'm sure we'd all do the same our first time. Throw a big Tuna party :)

I am in Mill Bay and have to go to Black Creek next week if you get to the point of not being able to deal with it.
My wife always gives away most of the salmon I smoke at Christmas (drives me crazy, cuz then we hardly have any) I see you sent some to St Jean's You can borrow my smoker and smoke more yourself, and give all your friends a few pounds of smoked and fresh for Christmas.

Don’t recommend eating it raw without freezing it. I take most of mine in the round to St Jeans for canning

I am in Mill Bay and have to go to Black Creek next week if you get to the point of not being able to deal with it.
My wife always gives away most of the salmon I smoke at Christmas (drives me crazy, cuz then we hardly have any) I see you sent some to St Jean's You can borrow my smoker and smoke more yourself, and give all your friends a few pounds of smoked and fresh for Christmas.
I'll keep that in mind. I have to give some to friends and family and then I will see where I'm at. Thanks for the offer to use your smoker. I actually have two and will be smoking some shortly. I just took a few Tuna to St. Jean's as I occasionally do with Salmon. I used to use their product as a benchmark of excellence and then adjusted my recipes to mimic it. However, this year I was disappointed with the candied and hot smoke that they did for me. Flavors were fine but it was quite dry. The taste and texture was a lot like they had smoked it at too high a temp or for too long. Hopefully it was a one off and not their new norm.

Don’t recommend eating it raw without freezing it. I take most of mine in the round to St Jeans for canning
The risk of parasites is quite low. In fact the BC Center for Disease Control exempts Albacore from the freezing requirements prior to raw consumption. I do hope though that freezing it gives me the psychological confidence to enjoy it more than I did right off the carcass.

I will be canning this week. I prefer to can my own as it is so easy and much more economical. I am getting some canned at St. Jean's and I look forward to comparing.

Can any of you here that have smoked their own tuna share with me their experiences. Do you use the same brine recipe that you would for salmon. Do you hot smoke at the same temps and for the same amount of time as you would for salmon.

Thanks

st Jeans will only take tuna heads off guts out ..no longer then 4 days on ice... we put a pile into them to get done this year.. the candied tuna they do is really good.. and smoked can is great ....

Can any of you here that have smoked their own tuna share with me their experiences. Do you use the same brine recipe that you would for salmon. Do you hot smoke at the same temps and for the same amount of time as you would for salmon.

Thanks

I just put a little olive oil and small amount of salt in the jar

Countless recipes you can do with them in your kitchen. I had a blast when we had a decent load of playing with recipes.

Cold Smoke is awesome; highly recommend!

I would vacuum pack a bunch of the loines, When im in Hawaii I like to buy Ahi Tuna, The way I like to prepare it is sesame seed oil and sesame seeds, soya sauce and wasabi, then give it a very light sear in the pan.

st Jeans will only take tuna heads off guts out ..no longer then 4 days on ice... we put a pile into them to get done this year.. the candied tuna they do is really good.. and smoked can is great ....
Interesting their inconsistency. I called them yesterday and asked if heads off was ok (they charge by the round weight so I was trying to be frugal). The lady I spoke with said heads on and no longer than 3 days on ice. So we dropped them off heads on guts out, 24 hours on ice. All of our fish were gutted at sea. We brain spiked, bled, cut the gills out, and pulled the guts out through the throat. It worked well and our meat quality looks really nice. We probably should have bled before the brain spike but I'm not completely sure about that one. We dropped off 6 fish (66lbs) at St Jean's. We are getting a mix of canned, canned smoked, candied, and lox.

I would vacuum pack a bunch of the loines, When im in Hawaii I like to buy Ahi Tuna, The way I like to prepare it is sesame seed oil and sesame seeds, soya sauce and wasabi, then give it a very light sear in the pan.
Do you have any particular ratio? I've ordered that in a restaurant before and I love it that way.

Can it, I just finished are last can a few weeks ago and it said 2015 on the lid. And just finished caning 96 pints a few days ago. Hard to beat home canned tuna, And its nice to have when the tuna don't show the next year and your still enjoying it.

Do you have any particular ratio? I've ordered that in a restaurant before and I love it that way.

Just go easy on the sesame oil as it can be pretty darn strong. Play around with the soy as a base and add in to taste; albacore can stand up to a fairly strong marinade.

My best dish I ever did was basically working from a soy base, added chopped garlic, sesame oil, some olive oil, pepper and I am sure a few other things; I always cook to taste with marinades. Let it sit in the fridge for about 36 hours longer than intended and everyone agreed they had never had such tasty tuna off the grill. May have to go buy some loins, kick back 3/4's of a bottle of wine and see if I can duplicate. ;):p:D

Back