Tuna spread Sans outriggers

adanac

Will be after the tuna off the north island this week , a few questions .

i have only every trolled a spread for them with outriggers, unfortunately we will not have access to outriggers this trip .

zuker / x rap guy. What kind of spread do you guys fish that do not have outriggers?

Poke a rod out each side with clones. Put two xrap rods straight back on each side with a shorter leash than forward side rods. Run a cedar plug way back and put rod in center top rocket launcher. Kind of like a W pattern. Swimbaits on sides can be substituted and running line through roller releases lower on transom helps keep xraps digging hard and in proper position relative to spread. Many ways to skin this cat and this is just an example of one.

If you want a real thrill drop down some turds on down riggers connected to salmon rods

You can thank me later
Was that you that did that years back with sculpin? If I remember correctly you guys had some serious sized tuna ( 40lbers )

Yes, him and the Hartbreaker, we took some promo shots for Islander reels. I used my 10 oz power mooching rods for a little more power and MR3's. A serious hoot!
Would love to see some pictures of those big fish if you still have them . Biggest Albies I’ve seen out of bc .

our non outrigger spread was two planer boards with zukers off each corner, two dongs and clones off each corner clipped down to the rail, one x rap in the middle. then two birds and ?? off the side flush rod holders, two boats off the more forwards flush mounts... and occcasionally two more off the hardtop waaaaay back. 9 to 11 rods once you get an idea on how to run them ( keep them untangled)

our non outrigger spread was two planer boards with zukers off each corner, two dongs and clones off each corner clipped down to the rail, one x rap in the middle. then two birds and ?? off the side flush rod holders, two boats off the more forwards flush mounts... and occcasionally two more off the hardtop waaaaay back. 9 to 11 rods once you get an idea on how to run them ( keep them untangled)
Having different colored braid on the different pairs of rods is a game changer

If you want a real thrill drop down some turds on down riggers connected to salmon rods

You can thank me later
At the risk of asking for all your secrets, how deep on the riggers? Probably some serious blowback at 7-10 mph?

These work better than any Turd

IMGP0599.jpg

I manage to run 8 rods off of my 8.5' wide C-Dory Tomcat without the benefit of outriggers. I have two rods each on the aft corners. One is an about 7' long ugly stick pointed out at 90 degrees, the other is a 5' ugly stick pointed straight back. I run the clones on these lines in a "W pattern" at ~ 50', 40',50', 40' back. Then on the aft end of the pilot house, I have a rod on either side in a rod holder attached to the handrails. The rod holders point out at about 45 degrees and in each is another 7' long ugly stick. On those I run swim baits that go over the top of the rods at the aft end of the cockpit and the clones are out at say about 80'. Then on the roof, I have two more rods that again run over the top of the rods on the aft end of the cockpit and I also put swim baits on these. I deploy everything while the boat is running straight so I can work the swim baits past the clones. The overhead rods are also deployed in a W pattern - long-short-long-short. As long as they are not all set at the same distance, I can make reasonable turns without tangles as the shorter lines will run under the longer ones in a turn.

Back