Sport Fishing Boat Sinks

Maybe they outta rethink fishing off the NW tip of Vancouver Island in a 19 ft boat......just sayin

What does the length of boat have to do with the KSA to run it???
Just sayin

We got away with one here!! Time for all of us that do this to have another look at our operations-just like we did 2 years ago. Bad place for poor maintenance , bad planning or even bad luck to show its face. Thank |God and some Buds for a good outcome!!

Qualicum Lodge use 19' boats. 58 km could be up in the channel or down at Solandar. Sure glad it worked out okay. Don't know if a lodge boat or not!
Ted

I heard all of this happen on the radio...scary stuff...I'll never forget the words "we're going down" and the tone of the his voice as he was saying it. From my understanding the boat was actually a brand new 26fter, not 19ft as reported, and was a Qualicum Rivers boat. However, it sounded like a freak accident although I'm not sure what happened exactly and wouldn't comment on it even if I did. Thank god Mike and his passengers are ok...he's probably the most experienced guide out there, and I can attest the waters were not too rough for a 26ft boat.

I heard all of this happen on the radio...scary stuff...I'll never forget the words "we're going down" and the tone of the his voice as he was saying it. From my understanding the boat was actually a brand new 26fter, not 19ft as reported, and was a Qualicum Rivers boat. However, it sounded like a freak accident although I'm not sure what happened exactly and wouldn't comment on it even if I did. Thank god Mike and his passengers are ok...he's probably the most experienced guide out there, and I can attest the waters were not too rough for a 26ft boat.

It will be interesting to know what went down. I heard through the grape vine that they ordered a couple of 26' walk around design's for this year.

Folks,

I guess I better speak up and inform the folks on this form what happened this morning, and quell some of your speculations on what took place, where it took place, size of vessel, and a couple of other items. I don’t normally respond to posts such as these, as almost everyone has an opinion, and I respect their opinions, right or wrong.

The incident happened just south of Scott Islands, near Cape Scott, this morning, just before 8am. The boat had just arrived and deployed the anchor, when the guide went to the back of the boat to set the gear and noticed that the stern was lower than normal, he then opened the floor storage hatch and noticed water in the bilge, rising quite quickly. Called our two closest boats, who were 1 and 1.5 km away, then contacted Coast Guard. Guide then cut the boat free from their anchor; motored toward the closest boat, which had already cut loose from their anchor and was almost there. The boats then met, and the guests then stepped off the boat, onto the other boat, transferred a bunch of gear, and then the guide finally left the vessel. The vessel then went nose up and then under.

A couple of points:

The vessel was a 23’ Aluminum with a 200hp main and an 8hp kicker.
The vessel only had 160hrs on it, and it was not one of our regular boats. It was a new to addition to the charter fleet. We do have another brand new boat also, a 26’ Bruce Cope designed aluminum, with the 2nd Cope boat arriving sometime later this summer.

The vessel that went down is a very popular production boat, and many, possibly hundreds, have been made in the last decade or so. Many are used by other lodges, day charters, and rental fleets throughout the Pacific Northwest, and yes, there are a few working out of the Ucluelet/Tofino and Winter Harbour areas.

All three persons on board were experience boaters, with the guide having decades of experience, with almost 10 years in with us in this area.

We don’t know why the vessel took on water, all hatches were closed and dogged, the boat was in great shape, with an ocean going reputation. The weather was 5knts, and just under a half meter sea.

Just a side note, the weather patterns 30 miles to the south of us are quite different than what we have here, this is why the north Island weather reports are separated into North of Brooks Peninsula and South Brooks; what you may experiencing in South Brooks can, and most likely, be different than what you would get even one mile north of Solander. Please don’t speculate on what the weather is up here unless you were here, or have at least read the local reports.

Some of you like to bash the Coast Guard, DFO, RCMP Marine Det, and the commercial fleet, but when you are out there, all alone, and **** hits the fan, these folks are the ones that will risk it all to get you back. When the call was made, the Tully was about 29 miles away, and they made a beeline to the vessel. Cannot give the SAR teams and everyone else who are involved in keeping the waters safe enough credit.

All we lost today was a boat, just a piece of aluminum, glass, and paint, completely replaceable. What we didn’t have was a tragic situation, mostly due to the training that the crew have done in the last couple of years. I would recommend to anyone, including those boats traveling alone, either as a single boat charter or private vessel, buddy up or at least travel in packs, as when things happen, seconds do matter. Carry PLB’s (EPIRB’s are nice but they are meant for larger vessels, farther from shore), have proper communication equipment (cell phones are not it), have a ditch plan and go over it with the people on board, wear quality floatation gear, and do not panic when it does happen, just do what you have prepared for.

We can only speculate what happened to the hull for it to take on water the way it did. I would like to think that the plug fell out, but a 3/4” bung hole will not take a boat down that fast, as it happened in just a couple of minutes. We are thankful that everyone is safe, as that is the only thing we are concerned with.

Best wishes on your fishing this summer, and if you are in the harbour, stop in and say Hi.

Regards,
Fishyboy

Thanks Rob for clarification. I called over and tried to over assistance but must of been too far away to get my radio to reach theirs. Glad everyone is safe...freak accident like I said, \Mikey has a billion years experience on the ocean too (he's actually that old... :D )

A bottom-bound boat is some scary stuff, for sure. As tragic as it is losing a major expense such as a boat, it becomes a mute point when you know that everyone aboard stayed high and dry and were able to return to their families.

Good on everyone involved for willing and wanting to assist.

This should be a wake-up call to everyone to go over your boats from stem to stern, inside and outside. Don't just look at it-- look for problems. Inspect it. And, since you are there, check all safety gear, fire stopping devices, too. If it looks fallible, replace it.

Safety is everyone's job- not just the boat owner's.

What can fail...

Folks,
We can only speculate what happened to the hull for it to take on water the way it did. I would like to think that the plug fell out, but a 3/4” bung hole will not take a boat down that fast, as it happened in just a couple of minutes. We are thankful that everyone is safe, as that is the only thing we are concerned with.
Regards, Fishyboy

So, what could fail to allow a newer, 26' boat (not necessarily this particular one) to take on water so quickly, in calm conditions?
- a sterndrive bellows failure?
- a thru-hull fitting failure?
- collision with a dead-head or grounding?
(In actual tests, a 3/4" hole near the water line allows 368 gph to flow, while a 1-1/2" hole allows 978 and 2" hole allows 1353 gph to flow. 8 US gallons is about 1 cu.ft. and weighs 62-1/2 pounds. So, in 10 minutes a small hole could easily allow one ton of water onboard.)

What other failures could result in a sinking?

Foxsea-your math on the 3 holes you gave is suspect-It would take a larger hole than what you specified to do that. Anyone of my 3 bilge pumps would have handled the 3 holes you specified. The boat was able to run therefore his bilge pumps were workable-this had to be more than a through hull failure-it was an aluminum boat-perhaps Sculpin might have some comment on seam or weld failure. 368 gals an hour =46 cu ft divided by10/60 =roughly 71/2 cuft times 621/2 =roughly 350 lbs- in 10 min.-carrying on even the 2 inch hole won't put 1 ton of water on board in 10 min. My point is this-have a look at all the thru hulls you have and especially the sizes as foxsea noted{his statistics on holes is correct) then get the bilge pumps to handle the failure of any or all of them with redundency of at least one pump. They may buy you some time. No my friends this was not a mere thru hull failure-the math doesn't support the hypothesis!!!

Huge congrats to your guide for keeping a cool head and thinking things through logically. As the Master of the vessel it is so important to stay in control regardless of the situation. Great response to some of the somewhat negative posts. We all know it's easy to jump on the negative band wagon!!

Good luck the rest of the season.

Yes -congrats on a job well done! I don't know BH- I didn't see much for negative comments-more a somber reflection of what we(personally) could do to prevent this happening to ourselves. Its a bad day when you can't learn something from an accident like this. The best thing we can learn from all of this is if it is all going pear shaped- make a solid quick decision and act in the manner that gets the people off. Doing nthing or hoping is not a decision -it's a wish. This guide( i don't know him) made all the right leadership choices-his clients were lucky to have him.

Just in the process of having a through hull redone which is why we are not fishing.

Also considering having a hose splitter and added length of hose and additional valve added to the raw saltwater wash down pump intake high up above the boats waterline as the washdown pump is mounted high. This would allow the valve to the wash down pump through hull to be closed and the new one opened to the new hose which could be placed in the bilge. The idea would be to add additional pump out capability to the two regular electric bilge pumps in an emergency. Has anyone done this or foresee any problem in doing it?

Anyone have a recommendation for a small hand powered manual bilge pump for additional backup? I don’t have one yet but that also may be a good idea and I see Scotty makes one. Do they work any better than the buckets we have now?

Sounds like it may work Rockfish-however most washdown pumps are only 3.5 to 4 gpm- the extra money may be better spent in double clamping all thru hulls and putting a manuel gulper pump on board. If you have mascerators on board-depending on where they are pumping from you may be able to make them pump the bilge-on my boat cutting 2 hoses would would pump the bilge overboard-but your idea of the valve has me thinking and I may be able to incorporate that. Thank you.

Back