Reel Cork lube

kingblazer84

what brand is everyone running for relubing their corks in their reels superlube? tri-flow? im servicing my reels and need some lubricant for the cork just wondering what others are running?

Do you use it in conjunction with the Super Lube or by itself?

Oly
I use it with the Super Lube oil on the corks. I’m pretty sure in the Islander maintenance guide it says to lightly oil the cork and then work a bit of the graphite into the cork as well. I don’t use a lot of either but enough to keep the cork from looking dry. A bit of trial and error I found at the beginning. Too much graphite and it tends to make the oil too thick and makes a mess. Once you do it a few times the drag is super smooth and zero line creep unless I’m off shore in 200’ of water then it may happen depending on current. Although I’m not as hung up about it as much as some seem to be. I will take the 99% good the Islanders offer over the 1% bad 1% of the time....lol

I use it with the Super Lube oil on the corks. I’m pretty sure in the Islander maintenance guide it says to lightly oil the cork and then work a bit of the graphite into the cork as well. I don’t use a lot of either but enough to keep the cork from looking dry. A bit of trial and error I found at the beginning. Too much graphite and it tends to make the oil too thick and makes a mess. Once you do it a few times the drag is super smooth and zero line creep unless I’m off shore in 200’ of water then it may happen depending on current. Although I’m not as hung up about it as much as some seem to be. I will take the 99% good the Islanders offer over the 1% bad 1% of the time....lol

Maybe I'll try the graphite to see how it goes. I've seen you and others mention the graphite, but the Islander manual and YouTube videos must've been edited since it's not mentioned officially. I think I read elsewhere on here that Islander had gone away from recommending graphite.

Anyway, I was out last weekend using my new-to-me MR3 and it was awesome. I used the little Superlube kit which came with everything necessary.

what brand is everyone running for relubing their corks in their reels superlube? tri-flow? im servicing my reels and need some lubricant for the cork just wondering what others are running?

I have been using a drop (or 2 max) of Superlube oil on my Islander and Trophy reels' corks when needed (maybe once or twice a year). This has worked fine for me. I didn't want to deal with the mess of graphite so have not tried using it.
...Rob

MR3.png MR3.png
Maybe I'll try the graphite to see how it goes. I've seen you and others mention the graphite, but the Islander manual and YouTube videos must've been edited since it's not mentioned officially. I think I read elsewhere on here that Islander had gone away from recommending graphite.

Anyway, I was out last weekend using my new-to-me MR3 and it was awesome. I used the little Superlube kit which came with everything necessary.

Step 4 on the manual I pulled on-line. I've never You tubed it though. All of My MR3's came with a copy of this maintenance manual as well.

Abu garcia reel grease is what I use. No complaints

Back