Possible closures to fishing, MPA’s

I have played around with the maps.

Is there a legend which states that “recreational tourism” means recreational fishing is allowed?

When you drill down on each area and look at what is permitted within the specific area, I don’t see anywhere that clearly identifies fishing as permitted (or not permitted for that matter).

I am missing something?

I have played around with the maps.

Is there a legend which states that “recreational tourism” means recreational fishing is allowed?

When you drill down on each area and look at what is permitted within the specific area, I don’t see anywhere that clearly identifies fishing as permitted (or not permitted for that matter).

I am missing something?
I could be wrong but I think it is because DFO, who is responsible for fisheries management, was not a partner in the MAPP process.

I don't think we know formally where any MPA's are going to end up.
Exactly...you are right on the money. No fear mongering, just the basic facts that when you carefully read the MPA lingo it is deliberately vague...for a reason. Lambs to slaughter comes to mind, but that is probably a little over-dramatic....sorry, inside voice. Nothing to see here, move along....all is good. MPA's = Sunnyways....love that one.

Copied from page 7 of the NVI Plan (http://mappocean.org/wp-content/upl...n_NorthVancouverIsland_28072015_corrected.pdf), “Although the federal government has legislative authority over management of many activities that occur within the water column, it chose not to participate in the development of this Plan. Fisheries and Oceans Canada provided general feedback on the MaPP sub-regional plans.”
DFO Oceans is driving the bus here....up to recently, there has been no engagement of DFO Fisheries Mgmt....Yikes! Here's hoping cooler heads prevail and we carefully consider each MPA recommendation and not simply rush towards mission accomplished. Bad things happen when people working within systems rush towards task completion. A lot of good pilots have paid with their lives by allowing the pressure of mission to over-ride their inner voice calling for them to just "go around".

I can’t even understand what they are getting at here are they going after the north coast as well? Our fishery is getting run to nothing very fast

I can’t even understand what they are getting at here are they going after the north coast as well? Our fishery is getting run to nothing very fast
The MPA process is aimed squarely at the North Coast - see the maps? - all the way down to Campbell River on the inside, including North Island. South Coast will be next.

The MPA process is aimed squarely at the North Coast - see the maps? - all the way down to Campbell River on the inside, including North Island. South Coast will be next.
I’m just reading off of my phone so it is hard to tell the thick red line is what they are planning on shutting down to sport fishing?

If you look at the central and haida areas areas as well, all rec tourism and commercial tourism is conditional in most spots. As you go south it becomes an "A" which is recommended to be allowed, but does not mean they have to take the recommendation. If you click on an area littlechucky, then scroll down a bit to RUA table, rec tourism is your average angler, commercial tourism would be charters and lodges if I'm not mistaken.

What I glean from looking at this is areas like port hardy (duval/daphni) harbor will probably be okay but soon as you get out of it anything and everything is up for grabs.

When you go down to Port Mcneill it looks to be about the same, harbor is okay but soon as you get out of that anything and everything could be up for grabs.

What will this mean? way more pressure in a small are where dfo will then say we have too much fishing pressure in thoes small areas and restrictive us more.

hard to be optimistic about this process

From what i can tell these areas in yellow are probably the only safe areas.

upload_2019-11-5_19-41-40.png

Do the places like Malcolm mpa count towards the 25%? Even though they’d allow rec fishing there? I do know they won’t shut that one down as main fishing spot there and they note that (well. Guess ya never know). But you get my question....as they’re still labeling it a MPA

Rumour has it Wilkinson is leading candidate to be Environment Minister. From West and history of working with/for enviro groups, would actually make sense.

If you look at the central and haida areas areas as well, all rec tourism and commercial tourism is conditional in most spots. As you go south it becomes an "A" which is recommended to be allowed, but does not mean they have to take the recommendation. If you click on an area littlechucky, then scroll down a bit to RUA table, rec tourism is your average angler, commercial tourism would be charters and lodges if I'm not mistaken.
I’m not so sure. Definitions of RUAs can be found on pages 86-88 in NVI plan, link above in my post #24. Both rec and commercial tourism are defined as “non-extractive”.

It is extremely worrisome how detailed, and in depth these maps, and tables are. If nothing has been picked why are the maps zoned with NGO wording like Northern whale habitat etc. Also was there a public consultation on how to rate each area with values? I didn't see anything on that? But it seems to have those in there.

My thoughts are the NGO got their way with closed door meetings as well as other special interest groups. I am very fearful of what that shows in Hardy especially. The liberal way steamroll the process, and with the opposition being NDP/Green that is going to go no where to stop it.

It is extremely worrisome how detailed, and in depth these maps, and tables are. If nothing has been picked why are the maps zoned with NGO wording like Northern whale habitat etc. Also was there a public consultation on how to rate each area with values? I didn't see anything on that? But it seems to have those in there.

My thoughts are the NGO got their way with closed door meetings as well as other special interest groups. I am very fearful of what that shows in Hardy especially. The liberal way steamroll the process, and with the opposition being NDP/Green that is going to go no where to stop it.

It’s kind of mind boggling as if it would be no fishing it would wipe out the ability of bottomfishing completely. Pine island is in that mpa as is farquar bank and maybe even Taylor bank (hard to tell). Nevermind castle rock area and behind that which is go to for any smaller boats. There would be no sense fishing port hardy for many smaller boats which is why many choose port hardy with smaller boats like yourself SV and inject thousands of dollars into the local economy.

Back