Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

I'm heading up with friends to Side Bay... any recent reports/tips for fishing the Lawn Point area? Any coho around? I'll be in my kayak trolling spoons, buzzbombs, stingers etc...

I got a report off of cliffe point and Kain Island last night that was less than glowing-no Springs!!! This guy is a good fisherman-he got a 12 lb coho which is encouraging and a limit of coho. Guess I'll have to heed my own advice and fish for them-catching maybe another matter!!! Leaving in an Hour will report Mon night!!

Heading up to Winter Harbour on the 29th, coming back on the 8th. Will post a report when I get back.

Spring Fever, maybe we can cross paths for a bit longer this time.

Anyone else going to be around there then?

Hewescraft 26 Alaskan, "Roughrider" on Ch 6.

Just back from Quatsino, contrary to SF's info, we did well for Springs at Cliffe Point yesterday and found Coho a little scarce, finished with a nice 40 ish Hali. Thursday was a good day for us, today a little slower but Springs are there. We focused on Hali today, no luck, but picked one Spring at Cliffe in the hour we tried.

Lol
we saw you out there SeaWolf. I was in the double eagle that was floating by when it looked like you had a double header going.
anyway we had a nice number of fish on and landed 2 nice coho that day.

Best part was that we pretty well had the place to ourselves, gotta love it when that happens.

Finally figured out how to post a pic...

IMG_0258JPG2.jpg

This was right along the kelp at 32` on anchovie

Last edited by a moderator:
Halilogger, I was in WH 26 - 28 jul, fishing out of a 22' Bertram with blue
canvas top. Stayed at WH lodge. What boat were in ? Must of seen you
somewhere? Only got 3 chinooks , as I had trouble getting my fourth
one in area 127. My biggest thrill was hooking about a 5' blue shark
right at the boat. I had released it off the clip at 240' and fished a
6" Tomic plilchard spoon right up to the boat, and it saw it do a neat turn
and dive on the spoon. 30 seconds later the spoon and shark was gone.

Winter Harbour

I have just returned to Telegraph Cove after spending the last 3 days in Winter Harbour fishing by myself.The fishing for springs was amazing.No big fish but lots in the 20-25 lb range . I arrived on Thurs pm too late to fish so I headed into the Outpost and got organized for the next day. I was the first boat out to Kains island on Fri am and had just put the first line down at 27ft and the line came out of the clip.I thought it was a false release until the rod bent into the water,Fifteen minutes later a nice 28lb red spring in the boat.I managed to get two lines in the water and pour a coffee when the line went off again.another spring about 20lbs.I fished for another 10 minutes but could not keep the mackeral away,so I killed a few for bait. It was now 6:15 so I packed up and headed to Solander to do some bottom fishing.Halibut were real hard to come by but I did manage three nice big lings and a couple of snapper. I ran back to Grants bay and picked up a couple of Coho and 3 springs I released.
The next day I headed up to Top Knott to fish with the fleet at the RCA Boundry. The action was non stop as I had two springs in the boat during the next half hour.I caught both fish at 160 feet in 260 feet of water.I began to fish with only one line and ran it at 250ft attempting to find a Hali on the troll,which I did a small 18lber. I had non stop action for the next hour catchuing and releasing 5 springs at 250 deep,one of which was close to 30 lbs, I was surprised the springs were running on the bottom.Purple Haze hoochie and a purple flasher was the ticket.The water was real flat for two days.Good luck to all who are headed up that way

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just returned to Telegraph Cove after spending the last 3 days in Winter Harbour fishing by myself.The fishing for springs was amazing.No big fish but lots in the 20-25 lb range . I arrived on Thurs pm too late to fish so I headed into the Outpost and got organized for the next day. I was the first boat out to Kains island on Fri am and had just put the first line down at 27ft and the line came out of the clip.I thought it was a false release until the rod bent into the water,Fifteen minutes later a nice 28lb red spring in the boat.I managed to get two lines in the water and pour a coffee when the line went off again.another spring about 20lbs.I fished for another 10 minutes but could not keep the mackeral away,so I killed a few for bait. It was now 6:15 so I packed up and headed to Solander to do some bottom fishing.Halibut were real hard to come by but I did manage three nice big lings and a couple of snapper. I ran back to Grants bay and picked up a couple of Coho and 3 springs I released.
The next day I headed up to Top Knott to fish with the fleet at the RCA Boundry. The action was non stop as I had two springs in the boat during the next half hour.I caught both fish at 160 feet in 260 feet of water.I began to fish with only one line and ran it at 250ft attempting to find a Hali on the troll,which I did a small 18lber. I had non stop action for the next hour catchuing and releasing 5 springs at 250 deep,one of which was close to 30 lbs, I was surprised the springs were running on the bottom.Purple Haze hoochie and a purple flasher was the ticket.The water was real flat for two days.Good luck to all who are headed up that way
Nice job! :)

BB I actually fished the 19 & 20 of July on the last trip.
Will be in Alder bay this long weekend for 4 days, then over to Winter Harbor for 4 days gonna be a tuff 8 days MAN IT REALLY SUCKS!!!!!
Sitka you going to be out fishing with the inlaws on the weekend ?

BB I actually fished the 19 & 20 of July on the last trip.
Will be in Alder bay this long weekend for 4 days, then over to Winter Harbor for 4 days gonna be a tuff 8 days MAN IT REALLY SUCKS!!!!!
Sitka you going to be out fishing with the inlaws on the weekend ?

Nope, free to fish where ever, so will be down towards Flower, Donegal or the wall on Friday, then will see what the weather holds. Supposed to blow this weekend out off the WC and Hardy, so that will dictate where to go. My little boat can only handle the weather so much......

Hopefully the weather people are wrong.

Give me a shout on 68, "Putt Putt", will be out and around somewhere.

Cheers

SS

Winter Harbour

Just got back from an interesting and productive trip. Hit Kain island at 3 pm on fri-got the gear in on the pinnicles and within 5 minutes was into a large Spring-great blistering run and then nothing. Pulled the gear back and checked the NEW Silver horde coho killer and the hook was gone-That is the second time in 2 weeks I've seen that happen on my boat with a NEW Coho Killer- Change the hooks!!! Great! at least there were fish so doubled back on the pinnacles in front of the light house-a little inattention and miscommunication and there goes a ball!! What the Hey!! The water was flat-there'd be another Lead melt next year-get on with it- seaward and outside the LH we finally got a nice 22. Talked to BB and got some info from him. Worked my way out using Chovie and various hardware and rubber-nothing consistant -the odd coho and small Spring to 10 lbs-all released-finally got to 246 ft to 280 feet -using 160 to 180 feet of wire we were taking coho to 10 ibs-and Springs to 18lbs-we stayed out til 7:30 Then headed in to clean fish and plan. Next morning we were at the hiway at 4:45-barely light-put down a Pirates Den Pearl GLow Wench with a double flash LED light and LED cuttlefish-non stop action from Springs and coho. We released most-kept a few outstanding ones . Finally the sun was up and I retired the LED`s and started fishing chovies and a green splatterback double glow hootchie-we were very busy-I estimate we had at least 50 fish to the boat including a 5 ft blue shark-most were released but we did have 3 very nice springs in the hi teens low 20`s. Quit at 1pm-fantastic morning -cleaned fish and snoozed-made supper and coffee for the morning for what was going to be a very late night I hoped! Started out at 6 pm-lots of boats behind the lighthouse and on the point-we fished out side the island and waited. Finally around 8:15-there were only 8 boats left and all clustered at the light-I pre-rigged-4 chovies with 9ft leaders and on the other side we went with a green cuttlefish with an LED. Put the SFever right on the kelp in 44 ft of water with 31 ft of wire-within 5 minutes we boated a 27-moved the boat into position again-11 lb coho. The other boats were slowly leaving for home. Got on the kelp again and took another 26. By now the nav lights are on and there is one boat left and he is pulling his gear. I made a very tight turn back to the kelp-the inside rod is straight up and down-all of a sudden it buries. Rogeah gets the call -moved the boat away from the kelp and the fight is on. It became evident immediately that this was no ordinary fish-Lots of runs- -the other boat stayed at a respectful distance and the 5 people watched. Rogeah was pretty nervous about the people watching and our helpful encouragement ``not to screw up! He did a great job on his first tyee-31 lbs. The 5 people in the boat gave him a standing ovation. A really classy touch-then they left and so did we-we were limited!!! We slept in a bit next day-had a half-hearted attempt for hali`s-managed a few lings and snapper. Striper Sniper got into a monster of some kind which parted his 80lb power pro-probably a shark-judging from the abrasion on the braid-it was exciting. Started to get a bit unpleasent so headed up the inlet to pull our prawn traps(poor) and this morning pulled crab traps Amazing. Super trip-the hiway is good-160-180 ft. Fish early and late if you want big springs and don`t always follow the crowds. Axioms are a pain in the A-- but this is good to think on-Kain island on a flood-Cliffe point on an ebb.Tight lines

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 172
Excellent report. Sorry we did not hook up. Only managed 3 chinooks
as I could not get a decent second smiley on the hwy. Kains was also
good for us, no shortage of cohos or springs, durn stupid rule of the 77cm.
Never got a chance to fish the LEDs, sorry, but could not get out early
enough, or stay late. Great, and accurate report from Swell watch
as you stated, could have gone anywhere if I had my
Whaler there. ..........BB

Nice report SF
I'm gonna be up there Aug 9-12 right after my family fish on the long weekend, You going to be up ? or anybody else ?

Back