Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

Here in Telegraph Cove for the next five days. Friend, Dad and Myself each caught a coho and my friend picked up a nice 60+ lb. halibut yesturday.
Springs are few and far between. Lost one at the boat behind Malcomb today. Picked up two smaller halibut and released a mess of pinks as well. Saw a couple springs at the cleaning table but not the numbers I have seen in the past. Hoping the numbers get here before I leave in a few days.

Just got back from 6 days fishing in Port Hardy. I would say that the fishing was mixed. We caught a tonne of Coho and Pinks at Duval, but only 1 hatchery coho and two decent chinook. We did get our wild ones before the 31st up to about 8lbs. We had one great afternoon at Castle on the tide change and caught a 17, 30, and a couple smaller Chinook. We also lost a few. The halibut fishing was tough. We caught a couple small hali less than 10lbs at Taylor. Though we caught a few really nice red snapper from 11-18lbs farther north and a couple ling. From talking to most people the chinook fishing was spotty at best. We went bottom fishing at winter harbour one day and caught a bunch of vermillions and a few snapper as well as ling and one small halibut. The last two days on the full moon were quite slow.

It was my second trip to hardy and we fished really hard, but can't wait to come back next year.

Trying to get a crew together for Spring Fever at Winter Harbour-gets tough this time of year!!! Any reports -good or bad are appreciated.

SF

A co-worker was out there for 2 days on the weekend, he is someone who knows how to fish the WC, especially WH and Kyuquot, 2 boats, 4 guys, 7 springs to 15 lbs, even the coho had slowed down. They fished outside and the usual inside spots. He said it was the slowest he has seen in a long time.

But, as this year seems to be, the fish come is schools, there for a day or two, then it slows down.

Cheers

SS

Hey fellas, I'm heading up for a few days starting this Saturday. It's been a while (10+ years) since I've fished Hardy so I'm going to be really starting from scratch. Is it worth bringing crab traps? Thanks in advance.

Thanks SS,-victim of my own success-guys have a lot of fish this year and are reluctant for another odyssey-my journals say -go for it. Guess I need more crew who eat fish faster LOL

Spring Fever, we just got back from Winter Harbour area. Sadly, we did not catch any salmon at all as we fished along Cliffe Point and never saw anyone land anything either. No cohos on the inside as yet, but locals were trying the inside spots for them at the bay across from Bedwell island, just past Quatse Narrows, and rupert inlet at marble river mouth.

We did not go past Kains as fishing partner is my sweetheart and the ground swell and nw chop were not making her feel so good. Lots of boats coming back in from outside of Kains though some stopped to fish at Cliffe Point too. The weather was great and the run down and back from Rupert Inlet was breathtaking. Folks were crabbing in the inlet and a nice fella shared some crabs with us...delicious!!

However, I did land the catch of a lifetime... I asked my Gal to marry me, at cliffe Point, and she said yes!!!

We moved camp to Alice Lake for some R & R and to give our boat a good run and cleaning in the lake. Took a drive to Port Alice, Cluxewe resort, Port McNeil, Victoria Lake, and stopped at Marble River Campgrounds to look at fish in river, not many a couple of pinks and a larger one couldn't tell what species.

We had a great time, very memorable trip for us!!

Back from Alder bay 3 days of fishing, Spring fishing was slow for me 3springs, biggest was 20lbs but I sure love the runs those fish take around Malcolm. Monday I looked at a 41pounder at the cleaning table didn't ask for any particulars, it sure was a HOG though. Managed 4 Hali's all chickens, weather was great, family had a great time. I gave you a shout a couple times Ken you must have been busy reeling in fish.

They weren't specific about the depth but I'd start fishing at 260 going outbound with 180 ft of wire. good luck. I won't make it til wed earliest. Give a report or PM if you don't want to report . Thanks. Mike

For what it's worth (old report) I fished just south of top knot RCA last Wednesday and it was phenomonal, by my standards. Anchovies and 180 feet of wire near the little hump on the map at the corner of the RCA.

Nasty confused seas. 3 limits of 20ish fish by 9am, even let quite a few teens swim another day. Slow on the hali; Picked up a few coho (slow also) by the light on the way in. Being from Idaho we were still smiling.

Copro

P8010116.jpg

Attachments

• P7310088.jpg
    P7310088.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:
Back from Alder bay 3 days of fishing, Spring fishing was slow for me 3springs, biggest was 20lbs but I sure love the runs those fish take around Malcolm. Monday I looked at a 41pounder at the cleaning table didn't ask for any particulars, it sure was a HOG though. Managed 4 Hali's all chickens, weather was great, family had a great time. I gave you a shout a couple times Ken you must have been busy reeling in fish.

Hey Kevin

We gave you a shout as well, but we were up top and I have a crappy antenna that does not always work, although I can hear the Cod Father boats up in Hardy clearly. We were busy on Sat, but not on the water. Sunday we went out and after drowning a few anchovies and washing a few other lures, the wife said we need to fill a few jars, so out went the trout rods and gear and we filled up the cooler with pinks. Sunday we hit socks, coho, pinks and a few smaller springs, but nothing to write home about.

Sounds like you had a good trip, especially the hali's.

How were the whales, any shows???

Good luck out on the WC, hope some fish show up there for you.

Next time, give me a shout when your up and we can sit down for a brew.

Cheers

SS

Congratulations!! To bad about the salmon-but was probably pretty exciting anyway!!

Thanks SF, it was an incredible time out there.... but having fished that country before, it was the hardiest thing to do... turning the boat around while looking at Kains Island. It wasn't my time to fish hard, that will come in the future. It was years since I was there last... memories blazed in my mind, all the while keeping in check the real reason I had brought my sweetheart to the pacific ocean... to make more memories!!

Enjoy your time out there

Out at WH this morning on the 300 straight off Kains...3 limits of springs and halibut and back on the dock in Port Alice by noon...two of the springs were good-sized...180/160 feet of wire with anchovies and herring only because the fish ran us out of chovies...

Yesterday was pretty fair as well...there seems to be more fish around the last 3 or 4 days...buddy went to Lawn Point yesterday and couldn't keep them off, but no size that he could find...he hung around the lighthouse on his way in and brought in two ridiculously large cohos...

Back