Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

I certainly played around a lot with leader lengths when I first saw the size-I too was skeptical and I tried a 32 but I usually use 38 to48 on a normal hootchy depending whether I'm off-shore with actively feeding fish or in say Nootka where the Springs aren't feeding (for the most part). When I first started-I watched normal hootchies and the wench and I came to the conclusion that there was little difference in the arc of rotation on a normal hootchy and the arc on a wench at the same speed. So for me my normal tie on the wench is 38 to 40 inches off-shore. If you prefer a normal 34 inch leader and it works for you that may have something to do with the difference in my speed vs yours. Watch a normal set-up of yours beside the boat and watch the wench and I would select the tie that gives you similiar action.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should also add that while LED's appear to add weight out of the water-they are essentially neutral in the water hence similiar leader lengths

Got a crew for WH-Kain island by 2pm thurs thru sat pm-working ch 6-green and white Orca -Spring Fevers the call sign-I share info-no codes. Any reports good or bad appreciated. Thanks

Good to see you out there last saturday. kept trolling out after you left.
Got 2 springs, 1 hatchey coho, and some of the biggest lings I have ever caught.
Lings on that 6" tomic pilchard spoon, just love it. Also 1 nice hali on the troll.
Saw a 226 and a 220 lb hali weighed in on sunday afternoon.

Sunday fished the same area, same late start, same fish results. Had trouble
staying out of the RCA, as a SE wind came up and kept pushing us north of
50,29.00 N. Only about 7-8 boats out there. White caps grew bigger and bigger,
so we left for inside about 1200hrs.

Good news, caught 2 cohoe by Pinnacle Island, so maybe they are coming back
inside

Pulled the boat out monday morning at 0830. Cleaned out the boat and started
to scrub it down, then the skies opened up. Nephew said that I should head for
home as it was raining to hard. Loaded up my fish and headed out Got home
at 1645 Monday. .........BB

Last edited by a moderator:
Quatsino Sound/Winter Harbour

I am heading to WH for the first time next week (Thu-Sunday) and can hardly wait. I've been fishing Esperanza for years and decided to go north!

From the sounds of things most the salmon catching is up around the north west side in the Topknot area to the SW corner of the RCA? Anything happening inside? Have the northern coho shown up?

Any recommendation on spots for Ling and Halibut fishing?

Thanks!

If this is your first trip to WH you have picked a challenging time. Qualicum Rivers shut down last Sat-end of season. This is pretty late for Springs although I had a good trip there and finished last sun. I too am going on thurs. The fish were not inside on Sat last-however they have had rain since then. If you are putting in at Coal harbour check all the way down-above and below the narrows, Mahatta,Koprino and cliffe point they maybe there. I was hoping someone would confirm the tip of the RCA to the west off of topknot-if not there then off LIPPY in 240 to 270ft of water or they maybe at the harbour entrance.watch for pinnicles-very tough on balls. This time of year very early in the morning might be good off Cliffe. Little bit of a crap shoot!!!LOL. Give me a call on 6 and I will tell you what I know. Should still be coho at Grants bay to 15 lbs Mike (springfever) Good Luck

If this is your first trip to WH you have picked a challenging time. Qualicum Rivers shut down last Sat-end of season. This is pretty late for Springs although I had a good trip there and finished last sun. I too am going on thurs. The fish were not inside on Sat last-however they have had rain since then. If you are putting in at Coal harbour check all the way down-above and below the narrows, Mahatta,Koprino and cliffe point they maybe there. I was hoping someone would confirm the tip of the RCA to the west off of topknot-if not there then off LIPPY in 240 to 270ft of water or they maybe at the harbour entrance.watch for pinnicles-very tough on balls. This time of year very early in the morning might be good off Cliffe. Little bit of a crap shoot!!!LOL. Give me a call on 6 and I will tell you what I know. Should still be coho at Grants bay to 15 lbs Mike (springfever) Good Luck

Hey spring fever: any chance I can call you on six as well? I will be in the area ( Mcallister islet cliffe etc.) Saturday thru Monday for coho trip. maybe we can share some info on what's working etc. I'll use your sfbc handle. Thx! Also, dumb question, but is there cell reception there?

Mike, I managed to get out solo for most of today. Found one small spring at 160' down at 730am, halfway from Lippy to the RCA corner. Then managed another spring around 20 lbs at 180' wire in 180' of water at around 9. I was using the Wench, like you suggested. I kept dragging the bottom and picked up lings and yellow eye rockfish. No hali! I used about four other combos on the other rods, but the Wench was the only thing that worked. I couldn't fish the SW corner of RCA due to rising winds, but there were other boats out there. Eventually I worked over to Cliff Point and there were three other boats fishing, but I didn't see any nets out. By this time, the rain and wind was getting to me so I headed back in at 4. The humpbacks put on a great show off Cliff :)
Oh, yeah, didn't catch any coho! Although I did see quite a few jumpers - but those might be sockeye? or maybe pinks?

Glad you got some on the wench! It truly seems to work on Springs and Lings. I too have never got a hali on it but I think that's because most of the time I'm in very deep water with it and nowhere near the bottom. I think they were most likely coho or chum-especially if you saw them going up Quotsino. Should really be trying off Koprino,cliffe, narrows, mahatta-lower Quotsino village-anywhere you see a jumper. Use 3.5 pink coyotes, squirts or needle fish' LED 'S in cuttlefish-usually a good depth is 30 to 45 feet. You'll get your coho! Just got comfirmation that they are at the RCA corner!! Thanks for the report. Mike

Anyone who is at WH from Thurs to sat late PM is welcome to call on ch 6 Handles Spring Fever. I share information-no codes. I'm not overly chatty and am not on the radio a lot but I listen out. If I have fish and you ask I will give you position, depth and lure. Big Ocean -I always appreciate a point in the right direction when I first get there. By the way envirocon is correct on cell coverage-main channel of quotsino sound only to 1 miles seaward of Kain-telus only-rogers is very spotty to "nada"

Thanks Spring Fever. Actually we're headed up next Thursday. Sounds like you're going today? Good luck!

Be very interested to hear how you do this week!?

It sounds like the salmon fishing is pretty much an artificial lure show (hoochies, spoons and plugs)? Does anyone use cut plug or anchovy?

What about for the halibut?

A Final season trip to Winter Harbour!! Arrived at Kain 1pm with Intel from wayne-(Winter Harbour Lodge)-many thanks!! Water was great-sunny-25 knots to 240ft straight off Lippy-started getting some very nice coho- couple of clipped-all down at 180 with chovies and a white hootchy-released an 8 lb spring-not what we came for!! Decided to burn the gas and go where Wayne had suggested-corner of the RCA-25 knots rapidly became 20 became 15 as the rollers and wind started to increase-nothing to the ORCA and we were Gravalized!! Two guide boats at the corner 1 with a SPring on-getting decidedly snotty now-They left-put down a chovie and a white hootchie-nothing happened-decided we better think about an exit stratagy-turned down wind-solid hook-up at 180 ft on the chovie-28lbs bright as a button!! The hootchie was replaced by a Tomic pilchard spoon -no flasher 180-solid hit great fight-32lbs. Sunny but we have 30+
knots for wind-we are trolling in the right direction but too tough to be rigging chovies-I put on the Gibbs version of the Pilchard spoon double header-almost immediatly (180 ft) last one in tore the net a bit-didn't weigh these but they were very hi 20"s-the wind made a decision to leave -the right one -Bow trimmed full up-15knots -man that's a long ride back to the lighthouse but lots of time to plan for the morning and laugh about the old full moon tales!!!
Fri morning first light-sunny -blowing 15-20K -4-6ft seas we manage 16 knots and it takes 40 min-try LED's, Anchovies, Pilchard spoons-nada-wish I hadn't joked about the full moon-2 hrs-Nada-sent down a white cuttlefish with a double flash white LED(never tried that combo before) get a very respectable 20+but we are now south of the RCA-quite apperent that the fish have moved. We troll back towards LIPPY-a long way with no hits-finally back off LIPPY we get a double header on coho- the wind is really picking up-one of the crew has taken to the bunk-not feeling well(not seasickness). Wind is really rising now-white cuttlefish with the LED's scores twice in quick succesion-both very hi teen fish(much different fish than at the RCA corner). We were over flown by the DFO aircraft and smiled for the camera's-very nice KingAir-brought back memories. I didn't know it but that was my last Spring for the year!! The crewman in the bunk had a urinary tract blockage-fast pack-up-max speed Coal harbour direct PH Emergency-2 hrs there and back in the driveway at 930pm-long day!! Photo's to follow-where are the fish?? try the hiway of LIppy and closer in-Might be worth going out to the RCA corner if it is flat-we didn't do well the 2nd day-did see a few boats clustered in the southern harbour approaches!! One other note-I was truly impressed with the white Cuttlefish with the double flash white LED-it actually outfished the chovie at 180 ft in the daytime-I don't admit that easily. The crewman with the medical problem is a little sore and recovering nicely!! Tight Lines and happy fishing!!!

Great report, sorry about your partner. Did you pick up any lings and helis with those 6" spoons?
We got blowen off there last Sunday, and indeed, a long slow ride back in. .......BB

Shots from shortened WH trip

Great report, sorry about your partner. Did you pick up any lings and helis with those 6" spoons?
We got blowen off there last Sunday, and indeed, a long slow ride back in. .......BB
No-was just targetting big Springs-would have tried next day but wasn't to be!!

Attachments

• IMG_0016 (1).jpg
    IMG_0016 (1).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg