Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

Hey SG

I heard that too. Easy limits for the guides, with good weather. How's Hardy been so far this month? I heard crumby weather lately but has the fishing been reasonably consistent so far? Trying to decide on WH or Hardy for next week's why I'm asking.

thanks for any general word on how she compares to last year

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of my buddies just got back from a week in WH, both boats limited out on springs no problem right at the lighthouse. He has been going up there for years and said it was great fishing very busy. Weather sucked so he never got offshore he did troll up a 30lbs hali at lighthouse. His partner boat managed a 102 hali I saw the picture not sure where but must off been around there since it was a 17ft boat that hooked it and called him over for help since he had no room in the boat for it. He also said he got checked at the docks a couple times.

we'll be up in hardy next week, monday to thursday. got moorage at the quarterdeck, fishing out of a 20 foot double eagle Emmabella. If anyone from the forum is around look forward to saying hi. hoping the winds stay down so we can hit some of the favourite spots. mostly fishing for springs but we'll spend some time jerking up some bottom fish as well

Just to get people thinking-great weather and swell hole opening up for WH starting this thurs. Spring Fever should be there if I can scare up a crew!!!

Got back yesterday, weather was great for a day and a half. Thursday, started at the lighthouse got 4 of our 6 Springs and limits in Coho, then went outside for Hali's got 3 quick one's all under 20lbs.
eight Snapper and 2 Lings.
Went back to the Out Post where we were staying . I was pretty tired but my 2 friends egged me on to go back out to the Lighthouse for a evening fish, so we did. arrived at 8:00pm lines in 8:04pm put a Chovie on the inside line at 32', being that each of my party had reeled a 20 & a 22lbs they had said next big fish was mine. 8:05pm inside line was bouncing I grabbed the rod and set the
hook, at that point I new it was a good fish, it took a couple nice runs then surfaced and circled the boat, at that point he was nick named JAWS, not because it was a monster, just because the way he wanted to circle us. There was 1 miss with the net at the side of the boat and a few other nervous runs and rolls but we landed him. Tipped the scales at 30.5lbs 41`` long, not a monster but a nice fish.
We fished the outside the next morning picked up 1 Hali and a few other ground fish, we could not find 2 more Hali`s, the south east that was expected was now starting to blow so we headed in. Went back out to the lighthouse around 4:00pm, not very pleasant a 4`moderate losts of guys trying to fish with very little sucess, we turned around and went to drink some beers.
Like some of the previous post, good Spring and Coho fishing at the Lighthouse. I will try and figure out how to post some pics.

Were leaving the Kootenays on thursday to come up to Hardy for a week. If the weather is decent we might try to do a couple day trips to winter harbour, but we're in a 19ft aluminum so we'll see how the weather works out. Has anyone heard how the fishing in Hardy has been the last couple days? What's the average size of the coho around Caines Island this time of year? If we decide to try winter harbour it would be nice to pick up a mixed bag of fish. I have to say these forums are great! I fished Hardy with some friends in 08 and we didn't do that well. I've picked up a tonne of info from this site since we decided to come this year.

Port McNeill Update

Fished this weekend with the Father in Law and wife. He came from Manitoba with two empty cases to be filled and he didn't care what salmon went in.

Saturday was a good day with steady action on the tide change, ended up with 3 springs between 14-18 lbs, a couple nice coho and a few pinks.

fishing2012003.jpg

Today was another good day, although the fish decided that they would rather hit and run instead of hit and stick.....ended up with a good spring, nice coho, some pinks and a 35 lbs hali on the troll.

IMGP0014.jpg

There is some fish around, with springs and some big coho already, plus pinks scattered through out the area. You need to weed through them sometimes, so we switched to spoons and that helped.

Cheers

SS

Port McNeill Update

Fished this weekend with the Father in Law and wife. He came from Manitoba with two empty cases to be filled and he didn't care what salmon went in.

Saturday was a good day with steady action on the tide change, ended up with 3 springs between 14-18 lbs, a couple nice coho and a few pinks.

fishing2012003.jpg

Today was another good day, although the fish decided that they would rather hit and run instead of hit and stick.....ended up with a good spring, nice coho, some pinks and a 35 lbs hali on the troll.

IMGP0014.jpg

There is some fish around, with springs and some big coho already, plus pinks scattered through out the area. You need to weed through them sometimes, so we switched to spoons and that helped.

Cheers

SS

Geeze-- we are heading for Hardy on the 1st of August for 4 nights.... hope there are a few left Ken. What have you heard from Hardy.. the commercial boys have been VERY quiet!! I know one of the members here just came back from Hardy and he found the fishing was slow......

I have not heard much Bryan, was OK last week when I was up there, but have not asked or talked to anyone since.

Sent you a PM.

Cheers

SS

Fished with 8 others from July 11-15th south of Malcolm/Flower Island area...Each of the 3 boats managed to have a hot day as far as landing fish. On the Wednesday I managed to get my buddy his first Chinook which was around 23.5lbs.

DSC02139.jpg

A little spotty for my boat until Saturday morning when me and my fishing partner had a 45min-1hour run I won't forget. We managed to first get a 20lb'er back from a seal with some boat manoeuvering and serious reeling..Next my friend got a fiesty 16-17lber...I then followed that up with a nice 25lb'er that fought like a champ...I swung around to get my gear back down and was reaching to grab a beer and the rod went off again. 20 mins later my friend managed to land what we thought may have been a hali to start because to he hung so low in the water, but turned out to be my biggest fish to date in my boat at 38lbs.
It was a great morning and a fantastic trip.
This first picture with him smiling as he tries to lift the pig puts a big smile on my face. Not too bad considering he had back surgery 4-5 weeks earlier.

DSCN1033.jpg

DSCN1038.jpg

The fish got a little wrinkled as it sat for a while and we had no room to put it in my fish box. I am the tall guy with my 25lber and the other 25lber flanking the big fish was landed by my dad on my brother in laws boat that same morning.

Nice slab burnsy! Do you launch in port mcneil? Where is flower island in relation to Malcolm, I'm looking at a chart but don't see it lol.

Nice Job Burnsy!!! That's a pig of a spring!!!

Looks like you had a great trip. It is a weird year this year, the fish look like they come in waves, good for a couple days, then it slows down, then picks up again. Some big fish around this year, a friends kid picked up a 45 last week.

How was the Chateau-Baronet??

Cheers

SS

Chateau was great as always...Yeah it was definitely hit and miss...But when it hit for each boat it really seem to hit. The first night my father inlaw had a double header of springs before I even had my second rod in the water.

Spring Fever has a crew for what Swell watch promises a super weekend off WH. Kain Island by 2:30 pm Fri depart sun at 2pm. Working ch 6. Give us a call- glad to share.

Back