Nootka

Lifter

going to nootka sound for the first time staying at Tuta 2nd week of aug
I have a 18.5ft boat how long of a run from gold river and is there a place I can store a trailer?
how is the fishing at that time where do we have the best chances for salmon and halibut ?
we usually fish from Toquart bay but the boat ramp and docks are closed so we decided to explore new to us fishing grounds
I don't want any honey holes just a shove in the right direction

There is an FN launch in Gold River by the mill. You can leave you vehicle and trailer there for a daily fee. Its safe. The run from Gold River to Camel Rock in Nootka is about 35 minutes depending on speed. Do it in the morning if you can as the afternoon can be a bit windy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only fished Nootka for the last 4 years but got good advice from friends as to where to fish, although it can vary where the fish are at any given time of the day so you do need to move around. We ventured out to Bajo reef off Nootka Island last year and limited out on Coho but you have to watch the wind, weather and fog as I only have a Campion 542 Explorer but it can take fairly ugly water. Try camel rock, San Carlos along Bligh Island, Tahsis Inlet, Hoiss Point. Many great spots to fish, just look where the points are and drop a line. It's one of my favourite places to fish.

Hey ebbtide, I go to Tuta every year but we drive the road in which isn't that bad if you take your time and gotta make sure your boat is covered to keep dust out. Camping sites are pretty private and nice compared to Cougar creek. Camel rock/Sancarlos first am is when we usually get all our fish. Also in front of friendly cove you can catch a fair number of 10 lb halibut in the 90 ft depth by trolling if you don't want to venture out to Bajo reef.
Good luck

Mamoet

Hey thanks guys but I have another question
Is there any place to buy bait or should I bring my own

Critter cove has bait(I bring my own) and some tackle and we sometimes go in for lunch. 5 minutes from were your staying.I am usally running bait but last time we did well on hootchies also

KCW thanks
You say critter cove is 5 min away where a outs is CC
So looking foreword to fishing Nootka

CC is directly North of Camel Rock 5 minute run. Check out their website and you'll get coodinates. You will see activity in and out of their bay.

going to nootka sound for the first time staying at Tuta 2nd week of aug
I have a 18.5ft boat how long of a run from gold river and is there a place I can store a trailer?
how is the fishing at that time where do we have the best chances for salmon and halibut ?
we usually fish from Toquart bay but the boat ramp and docks are closed so we decided to explore new to us fishing grounds
I don't want any honey holes just a shove in the right direction

Maybe a little help for you:

Gold River to Tuta Bay Marina, by boat………….approx. 17.5 miles or approx. 30 miles by road
It's approx. 16 miles on the Head Bay Road and then another 14 miles from the turn off down
to Tuta Marina.
Tuta to Camel Rock…………….1.75 miles
Tuta to Critter's Cove……………3.5 miles
Tuta to Strange Island………….5.75 miles
Tuta to Lighthouse …………….10.5 miles (north side of Bligh Island)
Tuta to Lighthouse………………9.75 miles (through Zuclarte Channel)
Tuta to Discovery/Burwood…….6.5 miles
Tuta to Moutcha Bay Resort…….9.5 miles
Tuta to Tahsis…………………….22 miles

Gas, bait, food, tackle etc can be found at Gold River, Critter's Cove, Moutcha Bay Resort & Tahsis

We have fished this area for a number of years and have used everything, herring, anchovies, plugs,
spoons, hoochies, flashers, dodgers etc. The last few years except last year, didn't make it up there due
to taking a road trip instead of fishing, we have stuck to hoochies & spoons. You get a hit with bait and
you have to pull it in to check if it's still on & in working condition……..with hoochies & spoons no
problem…………also maybe we are getting lazy in our old age but they have worked good for us.

We will be up to Tuta for one trip this year and will be leaving Tuta on Aug. 12, will try and post how
we make out when we get back……………..don't know the exact time you are going in.

Also I will TRY and post a pic of the DFO map of the area with some of the areas marked in red that
have been good for us…………..others may have better areas but I know those have produced for
us over the last few years.

Attachments

• NOOTKA.JPG
    NOOTKA.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 863
Maybe a little help for you:

Gold River to Tuta Bay Marina, by boat………….approx. 17.5 miles or approx. 30 miles by road
It's approx. 16 miles on the Head Bay Road and then another 14 miles from the turn off down
to Tuta Marina.
Tuta to Camel Rock…………….1.75 miles
Tuta to Critter's Cove……………3.5 miles
Tuta to Strange Island………….5.75 miles
Tuta to Lighthouse …………….10.5 miles (north side of Bligh Island)
Tuta to Lighthouse………………9.75 miles (through Zuclarte Channel)
Tuta to Discovery/Burwood…….6.5 miles
Tuta to Moutcha Bay Resort…….9.5 miles
Tuta to Tahsis…………………….22 miles

Gas, bait, food, tackle etc can be found at Gold River, Critter's Cove, Moutcha Bay Resort & Tahsis

We have fished this area for a number of years and have used everything, herring, anchovies, plugs,
spoons, hoochies, flashers, dodgers etc. The last few years except last year, didn't make it up there due
to taking a road trip instead of fishing, we have stuck to hoochies & spoons. You get a hit with bait and
you have to pull it in to check if it's still on & in working condition……..with hoochies & spoons no
problem…………also maybe we are getting lazy in our old age but they have worked good for us.

We will be up to Tuta for one trip this year and will be leaving Tuta on Aug. 12, will try and post how
we make out when we get back……………..don't know the exact time you are going in.

Also I will TRY and post a pic of the DFO map of the area with some of the areas marked in red that
have been good for us…………..others may have better areas but I know those have produced for
us over the last few years.

Thank you DM
Good info that's what I was interested in.
I was curious about how close or far everything is .

If you see a really ugly double eagle show up stop by for a beer.
We should arrive on the 11th

Don't know if you fish by the tides or not but here are the weeks tides for the Nootka Area.

Aug. 11 Monday
Time Height (ft)
01:05am 13.1
07:41am 0.7
02:07pm 12.5
07:58pm 3.6
01:57am 13.1
08:24am 1.0
02:49pm 12.8
08:49pm 3.3
02:49am 12.8
09:07am 1.6
03:30pm 12.8
09:40pm 3.0
03:41am 11.8
9:50am 2.3
04:14pm 12.5
10:34pm 3.0
04:36am 10.8
10:34am 3.3
04:59pm 12.1
11:32pm 3.3
05:37am 10.2
11:22am 4.6
05:49pm 11.8
00:35am 3.6
06:48am 9.2
12:18pm 5.6
06:45pm 11.2

Lots of great info and thanks a lot
Given the afternoon wind, generally when is to late to make the gold river to Tuta run

I plan to be launched at the ramp at GR by 10am for the best ride down the inlet. Most years the wind is just starting at that time. I've gone up later in the day and regretted it so now I just get up early here in Victoria (5am) and get there before 10. I would be at the lodge by 11am, meet the first guests at CC at noon, have a quick lunch and be fishing by 1:15-1;30.

Hey thanks guys but I have another question
Is there any place to buy bait or should I bring my own

I was chatting with the owners of Tuta, Larry and Shirley a while back...they sell bait, have showers, pit toilets and cold storage for yer fish...looking forward to spending some time there soon...

Road Report
Visiting my kid in Tahsis right now - left the truck and boat behind, taking a break from fishing.
The road in was amazingly NICE to drive on. A good portion (about 20%?) of it is paved and the rest is very smooth. Our Jetta handled it just fine.
I just wish the road to Bamtown was this nice!
Talking to locals and guests indicate the fishing here is good, still a couple of weeks until it really heats up tho.
Facilities in Tahsis are really nice also.
Westview Marina is at least as nice as the Dinghy Dock, but the food is definitely of higher calibre.

Back