Merc 188

Lipripper

The wessle ate up another gimbal.....

The leg is coming off to change that...

I don't know the name of the thing (cushion hub or something) that bolts to the flywheel and the drive shaft goes into it and the drive shaft seems to have a little whip to it.
The question is I can't change that from the back side with the leg off can I???
The old man seems to think he did one that way and I have one sitting here so I might as well... I'm not opposed to sliding the motor forward and doing it that way as I thought the bell housing would get in the way??

Blew a inside trim line too LOL... Freaking low tide at Jocks :rolleyes:
TIA
10_bikini_body_tips.jpg

That big thing is called a coupler and dont think you can change it that way you may find you have to pull the motor, the coupler has a alum hub inside with splines so if you smash something it wont snap the drive shaft if they are getting sharp looking its time of it, why did the gimble go???
You can do what i did in my old merc and put the race in backwards so its REALLY easy to get a gimble out then as then the race stays in there. no need for a puller basically cheating LOL LOL. one thing I do now about mercs is if your pooching gimbles your engine may be out of aliignment or your mounts are F$$%ED,

Good luck Wolf

The gimbal was out of Cal's boat when he switched over to the Yam on the Bellbouy... I have all the parts from that...... It had I don't know hours on it but it felt good so I threw it in. The one the boat came with was screwed.

It lined up with the tool but the leg went in with resistance... The coupler isn't spun but have heard that the splined piece in the center can walk out over time causing a shaft whip... it starts about 3400. I run below that cause killing the leg is not high on the priority list.

I have all the parts here sans new gimbal to have at 'er and the room to slide the motor far enough to get at the back of it.... on the flip side I would have one hell of a dance floor with a pod and ob....But then again.... you've seen the 'but Pirate.

Not sure I feel like dumpin a few grand into it

Its either the coupler or alignment.... if I could change the coupler without pulling the motor life would be better.... if it still shakes I know I'd have to align the motor which isn't a big deal.... I thought that the only way it would un-align was rot??? It don't seem rotten and there is nothing for me to think that the mounts are gone?

And my gimbal is a turn 90 and pull out.... don't need a puller

And my gimbal is a turn 90 and pull out.... don't need a puller

Exacclly what i was talking about LOL way easier. it can become un alligned over time as the washers on the transom get flattened out on a boat as you know everythig shifts and moves and alignment bar after you do all the stuff is very important to do, looks and sounds like you have a weekend project ahead have fun......i feel for you..

Wolf

Merc couplers make me hurl chewed thru 3 of them before I realised some idot/unscrupulous mechanic conveniently left out the double wound lock washer(the washer fits under moter mount).If the engine is a c-hair out of line it can peel your coupler like a fresh piece of fruit. Merc enginers must lay awake at night inventing new ways of surgically removing cash from your wallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Merc couplers make me hurl chewed thru 3 of them before I realised some idot/unscrupulous mechanic conveniently left out the double wound lock washer(the washer fits under moter mount).If the engine is a c-hair out of line it can peel your coupler like a fresh piece of fruit. Merc enginers must lay awake at night inventing new ways of surgically removing cash from your wallet.

X2

Had to convert numerous 4 cyl I/O Mercs over to strait shaft drives. Couldn't believe the insanity of that coupler. Can't get a socket or even a box wrench on those nuts only open end wrench and they are friction fit. When they spin out or wear out you have to pull the engine forward to change it. What a pain in the butt
BTW I have several FS if needed.;)

This is the first prob I have had with one..... If it is the problem

I have a few spares though :D

Besides.... the easiest way to get at the inside trim lines is to pull the motor..... I got close to sausage fingers too. ;)

Just about to pull the merc. (165 Chev. 6 cyl.) and leg off my boat.
It will be available to anyone who wants/needs it.
FREE
Has a new starter and carb!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey lab those partsare worth gold now might want to sel what you can especially maniufolds and the legs , the blocks are in high demand as well for racing engines oltimes ill take the block off you for sure...wolf as i have 2 buddies who ol time race IF your still going to give it away...

Wolf

1/2 hr. N.E.* of Edmonton Hellberta. I came out here in 79 to do a specilized weld proceedure for P & H Cranes, had just gotten divorciced in B.C., the job lasted 9mos., never made it back home! Working on it now!

Oh ya;
divorciced = when ex, lawyer and MIL are cold as ICE!

Labman, how is living there really? Im thinking of moving that way to get into some better $.

For every $ you make, it's worth 7% more here, Gas just hit $115.9 and Diesel is at $109.9, it's ugly brown by the end of July, turns White by first week of Oct. and doesn't get green until May! Oh ya, the wind makes -30 feel like -50ish! Every vehicle has remote starts and dual block heaters.....
Otherwise it's fine.

Not sure I could live with the smell of the ocean replaced by the spring thaw....
yuck.gif

Just about to pull the merc. (165 Chev. 6 cyl.) and leg off my boat.
It will be available to anyone who wants/needs it.
FREE
Has a new starter and carb!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gee well we're on the subject I have a slightly trashed 470 merc the head was prof. done so that's open to negotiation hell I'll sweeten the deal & throw in the block on 2nd thought it's made of allum. I can recycle it for beer $ any offers? P/M me.

Back