Gold River boat launch

I trailered our 24' into the Fair Harbour ramp a few years back.
It was hot. That dust did get into everything. Crushed a number of my (admittedly older) rollers on the trailer.
That was the last time I ever trailered off blacktop. I guess I went off for a bit when we trailered to the China Creek ramp.

Tried calling the Muchalet band aftet checking their website all sorts of extension numbers on website but when i tried each one all were invalid entries WTF? I also emailed them but no response.

I trailered my Orca in and out of Tahsis last year and did no damage. The road was OK-very steep of course in 3 spots but the worst part is getting to Moutcha bay -once there the trip to Tahsis is easier. Whole route will be paved by next year-part of the CG station at Tahsis

Add, 2 spare tires, a spare spring and total hub assembly. Mike at Roadrunner will sell you the parts. It’s easier to swap out the entire assemble than do a bearing on the road. I’ve seen many broken springs on the road from CR to GR. Also if you don’t have one, carry a battery powered impact wrench and full range of sockets. Sure easier working on the trailer with that impact wrench.

Having just worked through a broken spring last year, luckily right in GR and having a local hero mechanic help us out, I definitely suggest all the above!

Someone needs to remind Kevin the US border is closed. Sure seems like there is more to this than has been presented here. Thanks for posting.

I trailered our 24' into the Fair Harbour ramp a few years back.
It was hot. That dust did get into everything. Crushed a number of my (admittedly older) rollers on the trailer.
That was the last time I ever trailered off blacktop. I guess I went off for a bit when we trailered to the China Creek ramp.

I trailered into fair harbour last year and the road was in very good shape. The first bit after woss wasn't that great but they were working on the road so I would think it would be better this year.

FromView attachment 53296 the GR president of the Chamber of Commerce

The BC Gov Covid 19 website says their launches are now open (cut and paste below out of fish/hunt guidelines). Leading by example. Clearly indicating to us that proper following of their guidelines means you can safely manage the process at a launch. All this Covid funding seems to be having some unintended consequences.

Fishing and Hunting COVID-19 Updates
Regulations, Licensing, and Closures
"]Provincial Parks, Conservancies, Recreation Areas, Ecological Reserves and recreation sites are now open for day-use including front- and back-country trails, beaches, picnic areas, washroom facilities and boat launches.

Let's hope this clears up some messaging on how safe it now is to launch a boat. I don't know about anyone else but I can't recall the last time I hugged anyone I didn't know pretty damn well at the ramp...

the latest from Critter.

Just back in from camp.

I have feelers out trying to find out exactly what the F/N ( First Nations) want.

My understanding is that they are trying to assist the Premier with his request that people enjoy parks etc but do so in their own community.

Once the province moves to Phase three the signs will come down.

Take care and thanks for coming to Critter

cameron
N

I have never driven the road to Moutcha Bay, so I did it yesterday. For a gravel road it is not bad. There are 3 steep hills and there was a grader working while we went through. We passed a couple of rather large pieces of logging equipment being hauled out. That being said I would not want to meet them on a corner or a narrow section. There were sections of wash board and loose gravel and there were some paved sections. We drove into Zebellos last year and found the road to Moutcha in better condition. I have driven a lot of gravel roads and if I had a smaller boat I would drive this one. I would be hauling a Grady in there and really don’t want the dust or the possible damage.

Thanks for doing the drive for us, let's hope like hell the ramp at GR is open in a safe manner in the near term.

Someone needs to remind Kevin the US border is closed. Sure seems like there is more to this than has been presented here. Thanks for posting.

( whispers softl
the latest from Critter.

Just back in from camp.

I have feelers out trying to find out exactly what the F/N ( First Nations) want.

My understanding is that they are trying to assist the Premier with his request that people enjoy parks etc but do so in their own community.

Once the province moves to Phase three the signs will come down.

Take care and thanks for coming to Critter

cameron

Thanks Cam. so is critter cove open for business? our usual spot on bligh seems to be going off the rails

My experience last year was similar, but you need to be mindful after a big rain that road gets beat up pretty bad. Good going in...Slow go out of there last July after an absolute monsoon one day.

The dog leg ramp at Moutcha was pretty fun...my boat is only 20 ft, so no trouble at all but bigger units can be launched by the dude in the tractor assuming they’ll be providing that service this year of course.

cant wait for July to come!

I have never driven the road to Moutcha Bay, so I did it yesterday. For a gravel road it is not bad. There are 3 steep hills and there was a grader working while we went through. We passed a couple of rather large pieces of logging equipment being hauled out. That being said I would not want to meet them on a corner or a narrow section. There were sections of wash board and loose gravel and there were some paved sections. We drove into Zebellos last year and found the road to Moutcha in better condition. I have driven a lot of gravel roads and if I had a smaller boat I would drive this one. I would be hauling a Grady in there and really don’t want the dust or the possible damage.

i also had this experience with my truck, there was dirt and mud coming out of the frame etc up to a year later after i came back from thasis. I was looking at buying a cabin up that way and was also factoring in a 2nd vehicle to drive on that road!
Once a vehicle is driven on the logging road to Tahsis it will never be the same. The crushed gravel they use produces a fine almost talc powder that works its way into every crack and crevice in your vehicle. There is a reason I still drive a 2006 truck and that reason is for driving on that logging road. The road can change conditions quickly but normally if there is not a lot of rain it stays in pretty good condition in the summer time.

Any new news on the boat launch.?We have a trip planned for the 24th. Do you think we'll have any issues launching the boat at that time?

Back