Cameron Lake

seascene

Crew Member
Have been out using gang troll and flatfish on Sprout, Great Central 5 times past 2 weeks. Just one fish on and then off ...guess about 2 lbs. Thought I would try Cameron on Friday ... nice day is forecast. Seems fishing is slow based on my efforts or wrong time of year? Any tips for Cameron appreciated... thanks

I used to fly fish from shore. Never got anything big, but lots in the 8" - 12" inch range. I've heard there are decent size fish in the lake, browns on the west end.

google is your friend

Not a remote lake, Cameron Lake is located within driving distance of most mid-Island centres. Despite a generally beautiful and warm summer, this lake remains cold, and the fish remain active throughout the warm weather. Fishing is great all year round, with the trophy sized fish being caught after the kokanee spawn of late fall.
Courtney Ogilvie, owner of Nile Creek Fly Shop boasts about the size and abundance of the brown trout living in the lake. lthough, the average brown trout is between 3-5 lbs, trophy sized fish have been known to come out of Cameron Lake. Along with kokanee and cutthroat trout, this waterbody is loaded for any angler.
During the summer, fish tend to be hiding along the south side of the lake, close to the camping areas of McMillian Provincial Park. Although not particularly deep, there are many channels with cool water that house many fish. Brown trout in particular are night-feeders, meaning late evening or at night is when the lake is most active.
Try using a large coloured minnow pattern in the 4-6” range. Reds and burgundies are known to have some success, however the fish are fairly open to most colours. If you’re a fly fisher, Dark Bunny leeches or dragonfly patterns work well. Ogilvie explains that some local anglers swear by a trolling plug and large wedding band set-up for brown trout.
Courtney Ogilvie is extremely knowledgeable about Cameron Lake and many others in the area. He is a great resource to be utilized! Contact him (250) 757-2095, or stop in at Nile Creek Fly Shop in Bowser, BC.

LAKE ACCESS
Cameron Lake is located east of Port Alberni along Highway 4. From Port Alberni, head east along Highway 4 for about 26 kilometres.
Several camping and accommodation options exist around Cameron Lake. Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park has campsites and amenities. Cameron Lake Lodge is a private campground on Cameron Lake offering camping and a boat launch.
Boaters need to be aware that the lake is subject to sudden strong gusts of wind. Anglers with smaller boats need to take appropriate precautions when venturing into Cameron Lake.
There are great opportunities for swimming and sailing on Cameron Lake, and nearby hiking trails are an excellent way to explore the area. McMillan Provincial Park with its spectacular old-growth forest, and Little Qualicum Falls are other prime attractions here.

Back