Central Lake Derby Blues

Uzi1996

Fished the trestle RV derby Friday and Sat havnt fished here since I was young so I was pretty excited to get out and catch a few fish. Both days we fished all day trolling everything I could think of to catch a fish different depths, lures, speeds, gang troll, no gang troll, downriggers no downriggers even tried anchoring with roe on the bottom but to no avail, Skunked both days without even a sniff. Fished mostly browns bay, the pump up to 12 mile and basically the same on the other side. Some beauties won the derby tho I heard all from the Top 27 mile runs pretty tough in a tinner. Can anyone shed some light on what I’m doing wrong here, are all the fish just up at the top end? What tactics are best for central this time of year?

I also fished the derby and fish it most years. I only caught one fish this year and it was a 3.5lb cutty up at the end of the lake. I’m not the best trout fisherman but this year I fished 3 inch plugs. The end of the lake was a blizzard Saturday morning so you would have froze . 4 or 5 boats will clog up the one really good spot up there so unless you are there early, you won’t be casting right up at the river mouth. I think most winners come from that river mouth at the end of the lake on the left.

Back