23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
After exhaustively researching kickers, the 20hp Tohatsu was recommended to me. Battery-less EFI and 12 Amps at the same weight as a 9.9. They make many Mercs and most of the parts are interchangeable. This also means there are many options for service locations.

I was wondering about what product to use for my command bridge. When I took all the seats and radar tower out I had that idiot at Watertight patch the non skid and he did an absolutely embarrassing job. Not only was the color match a non attempt to "rough it up" he just waited 15 minutes for the gel coat to stiffen and hit it with a heavy roller. It's now a dirt trapping sheet of sandpaper. I figure I'd like to go over the whole thing with some kind of non skid bedliner type material like on aluminum boats as I'm mostly using the area for storage and the white deck just gets nasty looking. Any thoughts?

I was wondering about what product to use for my command bridge. When I took all the seats and radar tower out I had that idiot at Watertight patch the non skid and he did an absolutely embarrassing job. Not only was the color match a non attempt to "rough it up" he just waited 15 minutes for the gel coat to stiffen and hit it with a heavy roller. It's now a dirt trapping sheet of sandpaper. I figure I'd like to go over the whole thing with some kind of non skid bedliner type material like on aluminum boats as I'm mostly using the area for storage and the white deck just gets nasty looking. Any thoughts?

I will be considering doing something similar, i will be sure to post my finding after my research :)

Kiwi grip is pretty nice and easy to use. You can adjust the texture by type of roller and how hard you go at it. I have done both my dinghy floors with it. Very happy with the outcome. A litre is only like $80 and goes a long way. It’s something you could do yourself. Proper prep work and tape everything off. One heavy coat. Lots of info on YouTube.

I have a podded 26 hourston with a 300 verado. 33mph cruise at 4400 rpm and tops out at 47 mph

that i can live with, what is your consumption? thx

that i can live with, what is your consumption?
You dont redo a boat and get a 26 fter and even worry about that LOL it is what it is your boat is going to burn LOTS of fuel the fuel is one of the least expensive things on the boat look at what you have spent so far....... LOL

You dont redo a boat and get a 26 fter and even worry about that LOL it is what it is your boat is going to burn LOTS of fuel the fuel is one of the least expensive things on the boat look at what you have spent so far....... LOL

True, still deliberating twins or single so just curious, thx

Last edited:
One single 300 will be more the enough power just saying ...

One single 300 will be more the enough power just saying ...

thx, with that said what is the smallest do you thing I can go with? again just curious...

thx, with that said what is the smallest do you thing I can go with? again just curious...

if fishing inside waters,,,, 250. but you will lose fuel efficiency.. go with a Zuki 300, gearing and big prop give the best economy. lower rpm at cruise.

When I bought my 26’ it still had the flybridge on it and had a 200HP Yamaha 4 stroke with 260hrs installed new on a solid metal bracket that must have weighed close to 500lbs... The owner told me he could top out at 30mph and cruised around 20mph. I never put the boat in the water with that set up so I can’t verify.

I now have a 300HP verado and last weekend with 80gal of fuel on board, my wife and two kids and all our prawn traps i was cruising at 24Knots(27.5mph) at 4100RPM and burning 11 GPH. At 22knots I burn 10GPH and at 38knots(44mph) I burn 29GPH.

I personally wouldn't go any smaller then a 300 be its zuk,yammy merc etc id rather have more power when I need it and more power uses less fuel pushing a boat. you will find a "happy " zone where the boat planes best and isnt dragging "butt" and the engine will make a sweet sound.YES twins are a great idea but its twice as much things to replace and do oil,filters,Racor systems steering,cables ,helms and so on. You have gone to all this trouble no matter what a new engine is going to be 32 to 40 grand by the time rigging is done you want a very good and reliable engine(s)

When I bought my 26’ it still had the flybridge on it and had a 200HP Yamaha 4 stroke with 260hrs installed new on a solid metal bracket that must have weighed close to 500lbs... The owner told me he could top out at 30mph and cruised around 20mph. I never put the boat in the water with that set up so I can’t verify.

I now have a 300HP verado and last weekend with 80gal of fuel on board, my wife and two kids and all our prawn traps i was cruising at 24Knots(27.5mph) at 4100RPM and burning 11 GPH. At 22knots I burn 10GPH and at 38knots(44mph) I burn 29GPH.

I have a 23 Hourston and have gone a different way, replacing the 260 hp gas engine with a D3-200 hp and duoprop. I cruise at 25-27 mph and 6 to 7 US gallons per hour. The boat gets nearly double the range from the same size tank.

You are correct, according to the brochure it is just shy of 6000# w/command bridge, I have no plan on putting on the deck skirting, toilet room, sink w/water tank etc etc... also the Inboard has been removed + leg. My goal is to get around 30-35mph WOT, I am not a speed deamon just want a good hole shot and be able to have comfortable cruise speeds...

Its getting time to consider the pod build so the single or twin decision needs to be made, unless there is a way to build pod for twins but also have the option to place a single if wanted to.

I see the HindsightCharters has twin 150 Suzuki's on his 26"er, he usually has 4+ guys and loaded down, it works well for him.
http://hindsightfishing.com/the-hindsight/

Island Outfitters had a 26' Hourston sedan charter boat in Victoria and Port Renfrew. Believe it was 250 Yamaha -- and went over 40 mph. They had a fire at the store, but are still online, so an email should get you some info.

Last edited:
That boat is long gone of outfitters was sold id say about 10 plus years ago.
I cant figure out how to put a video up of my testing of my engine for you so when you get a chance Robert text me my number is 250-704-9653 as its on my phone and you will see my boat get up on plane in about 15 feet

That boat is long gone of outfitters was sold id say about 10 plus years ago.
I cant figure out how to put a video up of my testing of my engine for you so when you get a chance Robert text me my number is 250-704-9653 as its on my phone and you will see my boat get up on plane in about 15 feet
Thx Wolf 4038967504...

Back