23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Guys those are Mario’s motors. Search on here and you will find numerous threads about blown motors and so on and so on. That’s what he buys and gets them running again , never fixing the problem that led to kaboom. I’m sure some guys will chime in on here really quick......

Question for you guys??/

If I were looking to buy a new Yamaha 9.9 high thrust kicker, i would like to have the elect/man start w/power tilt w/remote/, what model is this and what shaft length are most common 20" or 25" on a pod?

Usually people post how many hours when they have motors for sale

Question for you guys??/

If I were looking to buy a new Yamaha 9.9 high thrust kicker, i would like to have the elect/man start w/power tilt w/remote/, what model is this and what shaft length are most common 20" or 25" on a pod?
You may get a lot of cavitation with a 20” shaft in choppy waters. I would go with a 25”

Extra long shaft is what you will need. Not sure on model # but on a pod you will want the power tilt and electric start. I too would go with the 15 hp. I have the 9.9 and in the wind and with the flybridge sail you will want the 15hp. Not sure you can still get the optional pull start anymore.

Question for you guys??/

I'd get it wet first to know for sure. I had to custom build an extra tall bracket and go with the long shaft (not xl) so I made sure when trimmed up it sat JUST out of the water. You'll get the odd big wave that pulls it out while under way but in conditions like those you're generally not fishing the kicker.

Yep that's his house. I've been there. Mario aka mgmarine outboards. Hes a ****** mechanic that puts a lipstick paintjob on old motors and flips them.

Extra long shaft is what you will need. Not sure on model # but on a pod you will want the power tilt and electric start. I too would go with the 15 hp. I have the 9.9 and in the wind and with the flybridge sail you will want the 15hp. Not sure you can still get the optional pull start anymore.

Might have to go with the F20, same weight as the 15 but i can order with manual/electric....

The 9.9hp is good enough most of the time but if it's windy I usually just troll on the main. With the bigger kicker that shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, changing gears, looking into some topside paints... Anyone use Sherwin Williams marine?

You need the high thrust model. If Yamaha then the 9.9 or 25hp. The F20 is meant for dinghys and higher speeds. It won’t work well in the mid range. The HT’s have large slower turning props. Lots of bite. The F20 has smaller high speed prop. You would run at much higher rpm to get same thrust.
I had the 9.9 HT on my 27 Seasport. 8000 pound boat with dinghy on top. That 9.9 handled 95% of my trolling. If it was really snotty out and I wanted to keep fishing would run on my main.
Wolf has had one on his 26 footer for years and he trolls every day in all sorts of conditions.
They even use the 9.9 on 30’ and 33’ Ocean Sports although some now use the 25 HT.
Again if you are considering a single main then a 25HT would be a great trolling motor and a very good get home option if a main failure.

sorry back to paint :)

Check out Alexseal top coats too.

My plan was Alexseal but the 23’er is getting painted with it now, lots of fussing, not as easy application as I thought and very pricy

Yes i have a 9.9 and is more than fine YES on real snotty days its harder but that only happens now and then really not to hard to deal with,(you really dont want to be out there anyways) and yes definitely a high thrust is a must been using 9.9 for oh 30 years keep using them for a reason........

Back