Line twist

the butcher

I had really bad line twists in my reels this year. I use bead chains on both sides of my flashers to help minimize line twists from the flasher rotation but I guess it doesn't seem to be working all that well. Are line twists unavoidable when using a flasher and we just have to live with the fact that we need to cut a certain section of line more often to keep the mono fresh? I hear ball bearing swivels are much better. Do you still have line twists using ball bearing swivels? I assume ball bearing swivels need to be lubricated often to keep them working well. Never used ball bearing swivels so not sure if they are much better when used or if its just a marketing scheme.

Your swivels are probably gummed or stiff and not working 100% try swapping them out. I have also had a few flashers that just always twist things up no matter what I do.

Ball bearing swivels are much better than bead chain, they don't bind up when loaded like bead chain does. I use P-Line High Speed Rolling Treble swivels on the main line, and flashers with ball bearing swivels on both ends.

I put at minimum 3 barrel swivels upstream and change out twice a season. I flush the rig with freshwater after every use. Some are better than others in quality. When buying barrel swivels, if i sense the slightest vibration or resistance while turning with my fingers, I toss it. HC has some in bulk you can test right on the spot. To add to that, this also includes swivels that usually come with the flashers on both sides, so in total 5 swivels on the line

Last edited:
Seaweed wrapped around any of the swivels can cause it not to function properly, at least that is what we have experienced anyway.
Still need to check the swivels to make sure they are working. These days the quality of some of them is questionable and need to be swapped out

Like some fellas have mentioned, keeping your swivels clean is very important as well as the ball bearing swivels. I still use bead chain, however I run 25lb mono as my main. Tie a swivel to that then run a 12" pc of 40 or 50lb test from the swivel to the flasher. This shorter stiffer line forces your swivel to turn even if their may be a tiny piece of scum caught up in the swivel. As well a little wash with fresh water at the end of the day can only help.

I use these on the end of my line, Makes changing gear quick and adds another swivel to the line
images

I use same swivels as above, I do not buy the very expensive ones, have bags of the supertackle brand, I have a small tube of reel grease in tackle box, before each use a tiny bit rubbed into all bearing and spun usually ends the twist, at least for awhile, most of day. Then another dap next use, most days I am switching flashers so grease is an easy remedy.

HM

If your line gets all twisted up don’t be afraid to take all gear off including swivels so your back to just bare line and let it out behind the boat while your traveling even at traveling speed doesn’t matter. It gives the line a chance to unwind. This is not a prevention but if it’s been wound up this will get you back to a reset.

If your line gets all twisted up don’t be afraid to take all gear off including swivels so your back to just bare line and let it out behind the boat while your traveling even at traveling speed doesn’t matter. It gives the line a chance to unwind. This is not a prevention but if it’s been wound up this will get you back to a reset.
And if you can retrieve the line through a damp cloth it's even better.

Make sure when you first spool up your reel with new line that you take it off the spool from the right direction otherwise you will get line twist. A sure test is to fill your reel part way and then give your reel some slack between the reel and spool. If it coils up like crazy, you have the spool turned backwards.

I only buy commercial grade flashesr that have ball bearing swivels on both ends...I also tie in a short (foot) piece of stiff 60 pound test line with another ball bearing swivel between the flasher and my 25 pound main line. I also keep all used bearings soaking in a vile with wd40 until I reuse them. I also use a second ball bearing swivel on the leader end.

I have guided the last 2 seasons in Milbanke Sound. We get serious amounts of jellyfish at times which will gum up swivels and twist up line. When its bad I use 2-3 bead chains above my flasher and everthing works fine after that

I have guided the last 2 seasons in Milbanke Sound. We get serious amounts of jellyfish at times which will gum up swivels and twist up line. When its bad I use 2-3 bead chains above my flasher and everthing works fine after that

What about one of those golf tee looking things above the top swivel to keep jellies off the swivel?

Never tried it, just a thought.

What about one of those golf tee looking things above the top swivel to keep jellies off the swivel?

Never tried it, just a thought.
We have 18 boats trying everything and if I were to pick my best setup its 3 bead chains and 3 quick connects attached to the flasher. You still have to squish the jelly slime off the mono and bead chains but the flashers keep spinning with this setup 10-12 hours a day.

Without the jellies I would normally run a single Sampo swivel and a quick connect. In all cases I use flashers with good swivels and yes to washing and oiling them with something like WD40.

Back