9'-6" wide boat on BC Ferries?

eriks

Does anyone know if it's possible to tow a 9'-6" wide boat over from HSB to Nanaimo on BC Ferries? If not, any other suggestions to get the trailer over to the island? I remember there was a barge service years ago.

Ya.. I do it all the time.. You are supposed to get a permit from highways...and Or atleast "ha ha"flag your rear corners and or widest beam with red flags 12" long.. And ferries are just a highway so no trouble at all.

Might be cheaper to sell your boat and buy a new one on the other side.

x2, I guess everyone is too embarrassed to mention the BC Ferries Trailers Fee.....you know the one.... where they drag you from the driver seat, bend you over, and rape.....your wallet.

When I brought my 2870 across they charged me over height and over width; I even argued with the gal in the booth but she slammed the window in my face and waved me on. I was told to take it up with head office by one of the crew on the boat that I knew but didn't think it was worth the headache to try and get a small amount of $ back. I am starting to realize why I don't go to the mainland unless I Have too!

yep towed a 30' x 10'6" beam cost me about $300 and change. Felt like prison sex... or what i think it would be

30' X 9'6" here also... I agree with the prison sex analogy. think it was 340 one way and 360 the other way last time i went across.... wish there was a bridge like PEI. Our government loves to rape and pillage the average citizen.... a longer ferry trip with the same boat on a comparable sized US ferry on a trip back from Port Angeles was $76.00US. A bit more reasonable...

Last edited by a moderator:
The cost is gross. I tow an oversize load on the ferry regularly and my only suggestion would be to try and take the Tsawassen/Duke Point route. Both of those terminals seem to be set up for wide loads as opposed to HB which can be a total nightmare when busy.

Makes charters seem a lot more affordable now, lol. Half my regulars used to own boats

If you can go into the usa and take the anacortes ferry across half the price.

From Anacortes to Sydney you'll pay on the total length (tow + boat). For a 30' boat, you're probably around 40' from the back of the engines to the front of the hitch + another 18-20' for the truck. So you'll be in the 50-60' range of overall length. That will run you $167.15US or $200.85 if you're over 60'. There will be an additional $51.55 height surcharge (or $63.55 if you're over 14'). So total you'll come in at $218-$264US ($243-$294CA) for a one-way trip not including passenger fees. So I don't think you're going to get half price by taking the WA state ferry system.

would you not have to go through customs when going from anacortes to sydney? how does that work?

would you not have to go through customs when going from anacortes to sydney? how does that work?
It's pretty much the same as any other border crossing. After you drive off the ferry, you get in a line to visit the officials, show your ID, answer questions etc.

Phone or go online to BC Ferries site. Last time I took an RV over they no longer charged for over height,strictly length. Best to get up to date info IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
ziggy is correct about the overheight.. they classify you as an oversize vehicle for loading but not for more money, yes us full size overheight vehicles pay the same as a yaris.

Where in the Sidney/Victoria area do I go to get an oversize permit? What can happen if you don't have one? My concern would be possible liability issues in the event of an accident...

Back