Brake Flushing Kit

baddogg

Crew Member
I just put all new backing plates and drums on my boat trailer. I'm looking to install a flush kit to help minimize salt corrosion. Does anyone have any suggestions where to purchase one? Located in Nanaimo but will buy online if necessary. Thanks in advance.

I realize it's not what you asked about but you may want to consider spraying everything except the drums and friction surfaces of the pads with CRC corrosion inhibitor or LPS 3. I think it's far more effective than trying to rinse the salt off. Both products form a fairly robust waxy coating that prevents salt from contacting the metal. I got 5 years out of my last set of drum brakes doing this on a double axle trailer, aside from one leaking wheel cylinder that failed earlier. I sprayed the internals every couple years. I only use the trailer in salt water.

I realize it's not what you asked about but you may want to consider spraying everything except the drums and friction surfaces of the pads with CRC corrosion inhibitor or LPS 3. I think it's far more effective than trying to rinse the salt off. Both products form a fairly robust waxy coating that prevents salt from contacting the metal. I got 5 years out of my last set of drum brakes doing this on a double axle trailer, aside from one leaking wheel cylinder that failed earlier. I sprayed the internals every couple years. I only use the trailer in salt water.
Thanks, I will look into that.

Not to crap on your good intentions of a flushing kit, but the few trailer people that I’ve talked to about them in the past mentioned they are a complete waste of time. Coming from people in the business that sell the stuff, so I think there is some merit there. The only real solution to all of it is a set of stainless callipers W/ disks.

Not to crap on your good intentions of a flushing kit, but the few trailer people that I’ve talked to about them in the past mentioned they are a complete waste of time. Coming from people in the business that sell the stuff, so I think there is some merit there. The only real solution to all of it is a set of stainless callipers W/ disks.
Thanks. Too late for the stainless stuff. My intent would be to flush immediately with water and salt-away. Better some effort than nothing I think. I will likely make a set up. Single axle trailer. Should be cheap enough.

just put a barb or weld a nipple on the top half of the backing plate 1/2” or 5/8” run a hose out the back and strap it to the trailer in such a way it’s not interfering with anything and add a valve and hose connection. You can get creative and make all this yourself with fittings from the Home Depot or newline etc. don’t need to buy a kit. for a single axle you could flush both sides together if it’s dual do one side at a time. hopefully this makes sense..

just put a barb or weld a nipple on the top half of the backing plate 1/2” or 5/8” run a hose out the back and strap it to the trailer in such a way it’s not interfering with anything and add a valve and hose connection. You can get creative and make all this yourself with fittings from the Home Depot or newline etc. don’t need to buy a kit. for a single axle you could flush both sides together if it’s dual do one side at a time. hopefully this makes sense..

This^^^^ its what ive done with my last 2 boat trailers

I built this years ago out of irrigation parts and it has worked well. Power is switched from inside the cab. I launch and pull out spray the brakes to the parking spot, go fishing and put boat on the trailer spray the boat down, quick flush on the motors and spray the brakes as in driving away. Once the tank runs dry, I turn it off. Not saying it's going to save your brakes. I repack my bearing every year so can keep a eye on them and it has slowed down the rust.

Attachments

• IMG_3909.JPG
    IMG_3909.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3913.JPG
    IMG_3913.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3915.JPG
    IMG_3915.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3921.JPG
    IMG_3921.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 54
irrigation setup is pretty cool and innovative like it especially since your self sufficient and don’t need a hose connection very convenient. A full flow 5/8” or 1/2” hose barb will have a good amount more flow I would imagine since it’s basically just an open hose hitting the brake drum and soaking the whole area but you need to stop and connect the hose etc.. You could probably dump some salt a way into the tank though that might help even more. Good setup🤙🏼

I built this years ago out of irrigation parts and it has worked well. Power is switched from inside the cab. I launch and pull out spray the brakes to the parking spot, go fishing and put boat on the trailer spray the boat down, quick flush on the motors and spray the brakes as in driving away. Once the tank runs dry, I turn it off. Not saying it's going to save your brakes. I repack my bearing every year so can keep a eye on them and it has slowed down the rust.
Ingenious. Thanks to all, I think I have a plan in mind.

I realize this is off topic, but what is everyone’s thoughts on just going with a full disc brake system to make it generally easier to flush? I realize that disc brake systems are more expensive but I have had minimal issues with mine in the last 10 years. I’ve just increased my maintenance to repack the bearings more often which is relatively cheap insurance.

Back