2020 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that makes sense. All of our biggest fish have come on our worst trips for numbers. Those big fish always seem to be in the cooler blueish water....that's where the pigs live.
Mike, that’s basically what a friend who fished them commercially said, they like a bit cooler water as there’s more opportunities for finding more food

Those fingers of warm water don’t usually fish as well as edges on the main body of warm water.

The end is nearing with this line up of lows coming in. We went from 10 days of 40-80 fish per day to complete scratch fishing yesterday in a big SE. Commercial fleet was the same 6-8 fish per boat.

Last edited:
Would you guys go out in a Grady Gulfstream 232 with twin 150’s..? I have a 141 gallon fuel capacity and burn approx 14gph at cruise.. obviously going with buddy boats is a must.. just wondering on thoughts from the experts.. i fish offshore a lot but never more than 20 miles.

Thanks
SWC

Attachments

• 9B076A2D-D7F9-4A45-8D70-BF6B5F08AA0F.jpeg
    9B076A2D-D7F9-4A45-8D70-BF6B5F08AA0F.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 108
I would be more then comfortable then doing it with a gulf stream 232.As for fuel it kind of depends on where you're going, you'll have to use your discretion there but I suspect 141 gallons is more then enough as long as were not talking going a hundred miles out. I seen a couple Gulf streams out there when we were out this year!

In my opinion tuna is more to do with you and your crews ability not so much the boat. When were going tuna fishing were usually going 50miles plus offshore and you need a ton of ice, so right there alone you rule out a lot of boats ability to go just based on not being big enough to carry the fuel and store the fish and the ice. To me its more about just being prepared, you're boat is more then capable of doing that trip but, watching the weather closely, having buddy boats, telling people you general area your going, not getting overwhelmed if you come across issues. Its a long way offshore and things can happen on any size boat. We have made 2 trips successfully in our 20ft double eagle (brand outboard new power) but if the weather isn't perfect we just won't go its one of those fisheries where we don't push the envelope with the weather, @Brian Reiber and I both had a whole week booked off this year just for tuna with intentions to get out a few times but due to weather we only made one trip. (ended up being such a good trip we wouldn't have had to go a second or third time anyway lol)

Hope that helps!
Mike

We are heading out next Wednesday first thing off of Tofino, if anyone wants to buddy up feel free to pm me.
Cheers, Ron

Was looking at water, Wednesday might be a possibility.

have seen quite a few pictures of Yellowtail this season, a few doubles , and a few singles probably 7 - 8 in total . interesting as they are not usually troll caught! guys need to start fishing the debris out there ( logs , kelp etc) and throw surface irons like Tadys. that’s how i have fished them in down in Southern California, sometimes the smallest log can hold a ton of life out there .

have seen quite a few pictures of Yellowtail this season, a few doubles , and a few singles probably 7 - 8 in total . interesting as they are not usually troll caught! guys need to start fishing the debris out there ( logs , kelp etc) and throw surface irons like Tadys. that’s how i have fished them in down in Southern California, sometimes the smallest log can hold a ton of life out there .

we went right by a big kelp patty and i was telling buds that sometimes tuners hang out under them. whamo. YT!!

IMG_8183.PNG thumbnail.png
Ohhh man hopping paddy's is good times down there. Sometimes nothing, sometimes peanuts, sometimes loaded with quality multi species.
I'm pretty choked at not making the trip this october especially with fishing being so hot the past few months, Dodo's and YT everywhere. Epic Bluefin numbers this year too

A friend who I fished with last year got off a boat wednesday morning. Highlights for him were a 143lb Bluefin and 55lb Yellowfin

View attachment 57442 View attachment 57444
Ohhh man hopping paddy's is good times down there. Sometimes nothing, sometimes peanuts, sometimes loaded with quality multi species.
I'm pretty choked at not making the trip this october especially with fishing being so hot the past few months, Dodo's and YT everywhere. Epic Bluefin numbers this year too

A friend who I fished with last year got off a boat wednesday morning. Highlights for him were a 143lb Bluefin and 55lb Yellowfin
:(

Would you guys go out in a Grady Gulfstream 232 with twin 150’s..? I have a 141 gallon fuel capacity and burn approx 14gph at cruise.. obviously going with buddy boats is a must.. just wondering on thoughts from the experts.. i fish offshore a lot but never more than 20 miles.

Thanks
SWC

Having sufficient skill and experience and knowing how your boat handles in bad weather are critical, as is being confident in the reliability of your equipment. If you can run your boat long distances in crap weather and you have reliable systems the make and model are of secondary importance. As for fuel, I know for me, I can cut my fuel economy in half if the weather blows up. I prefer to plan trips with enough fuel to make it back if I have to do the whole run home at half my regular mileage. I run integrated engine telemetry through my plotter so I monitor the weather, range etc to adjust my plans as the day progresses.

Like Mike said above, pick your days. I spent 8 days out there last month, got two tuna days in. 50+ miles is a long run home if you're fighting weather the whole way.

As for ice capacity, depends how many fish you want to catch. I'm just catching for myself so a half dozen is plenty. I can easily manage that even with the little boat.

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_190049-1800.jpg
    IMG_20200910_190049-1800.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 217
We headed offshore and finally stopped 60 miles offshore. The water changed and it was time to throw the gear out.

It took about 5 minutes and we had our first one on screaming line out. So Matt and I yelled at his Dad Tim to get the rod. After about 10 minutes the 15# Tuna hit the deck and into the bleed bucket. After that Tim said that was a lot of work and I'm done let's go home.

We went a while and caught another single and then the diver went off and Matt was on that one, then the bird went off and I grabbed that one and of course the 3 line went off and we had a triple. All 3 fish came into the boat and some nice size fish.

The water was great but it was foggy all day with 500 feet of visibility most often.

Looks like we might get one more day next week to go offshore.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back